1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Also. I'm out to buy plywood. Was planning 3/4, acx. Just wanted to double check

ACon977

Austin, glad you went with a marine adhesive for your exhaust. Those ports look fantastic! Silicone seems to lose its grip and get slimy. Nice jobs, it's great to be able to check things off the list.

Thanks FS. It was a bear to try and work with once it started kicking off. Not bad though. Just need to plan better before going for it.

ACon977

I ended up going with CDX rather than ACX. It was more porous and I thought would absorb resin deeper. Plus it was $11 cheaper per sheet, so the admiral liked that better as well.

I got the 23/32nd which is essentially 3/4. Seems thicker than what I pulled out of the boat. But hell. Everything I'm doing is extra strength compared to what I pulled out. Let's just hope this still floats

ACon977

Quick thought. Is there a problem having resin exposed to the air. I'm thinking of my stringers that arent covered in gelcoat. I was assuming it was cosmetic.

thoughts?

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Next is the hoses that I ran through the boat. I ended up getting a new steering cable through iBoats and it fit perfectly with the adapter kit for the steering column.

That's great news! You're making good progress now. It' exciting!

BTW, I know that I'm still coming to terms with my new-to-me Radar...but I was turned on to this deal and I couldn't pass it up. It'll arrive at my house on Wed.

ACon977

No they don't need gelcoat. They will be fine.

I second that. No need to waste gelcoat on stuff you won’t see.

Thanks guys, I thought that was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I had originally planned to paint just the deck, but just wanted to confirm. Glad to have you guys on board, I was starting to think that I was just talking to myself on here.

ACon977

That's great news! You're making good progress now. It' exciting!

BTW, I know that I'm still coming to terms with my new-to-me Radar...but I was turned on to this deal and I couldn't pass it up. It'll arrive at my house on Wed.

And nice lookin Syndicate there Tim! Hopefully you hop on that and can get more of the response you want!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup... hard to find acx locally. Most thimes the big box *****s, I mean stores sell bcx and cdx. All ya got to do is make sure you seal it and fill in the voids on the cut edge and triple seal it.
Been there done that. Work with what you can get. :eek:

ACon977

Yup... hard to find acx locally. Most thimes the big box *****s, I mean stores sell bcx and cdx. All ya got to do is make sure you seal it and fill in the voids on the cut edge and triple seal it.
Been there done that. Work with what you can get. :eek:

Lol they are some expensive *****s at that... but very convenient for lumber, plumbing, concrete, and hardware. You can get it cheaper elsewhere, but to have it all in one place is ideal. thus why they make the big bucks.

And I hear you on sealing it all! The edges from when I was doing the bulk heads clearly drink up Resin. Ill be sure to soak them good. And I plan to do a layer of CSM on the bottom and then CSM and Cloth on the top.

Last edited:

ACon977

Also, any recommendations on types of Gel coat? Or where to get it? I would assume any paint shop?

Speaking of HD... they have a paint department.. lol

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Also, any recommendations on types of Gel coat? Or where to get it? I would assume any paint shop?

Didn't you use epoxy? If so, its not recommended to use gelcoat over epoxy due to adhesion problems. Some might disagree, buts its general practice to not do that.

Your stuck with deciding how much you want to spend on paint. My recommendation would be AWLGRIP, but its not the cheapest stuff out there.

ACon977

Didn't you use epoxy? If so, its not recommended to use gelcoat over epoxy due to adhesion problems. Some might disagree, buts its general practice to not do that.

Your stuck with deciding how much you want to spend on paint. My recommendation would be AWLGRIP, but its not the cheapest stuff out there.

I used Polyester Resin, Epoxy was a bit more expensive than what I was looking for.

Im not sure what range the paint/gelcoat for the deck will be. I want to do the floor, probably roll on since I want the orange peel texture. But plan on putting some sort of a foam flooring over top of most of it.
Still not sure on Sea Dek, Gator track, or some cheap/offbrand.

ACon977

Looking at that AWLGRIP its ~70 a quart or 200 per gal? That is pretty steep. Not sure the admiral would be happy with me spending that much on paint.

When it came down to the structure. Im 100% ready to spend money and get it done more than right. When it comes to the finishing touches.. this will be a DIY boat, not necessarily a show piece, and I've come to terms with it.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
If you used poly resin theni would recommend gelcoat... probably will be the most durable finish for the price... got mine from us composites in Florida... I bought 2 gallons but I think it's way more than I'm gonna need and I'm going to do 3 coats.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
use urethane paint ,ppg nason and many others have urethane paints they have a hardness typically of 90 where as most gelcoats are 80, easier to apply. also raptor liner makes a urethane bed liner material that you can shoot to a smooth or rough texture so that's great for doing floors. and you can tint any color you like and it sticks awesome to fiberglass poly resins.

Status
Not open for further replies.