1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Motor mount need to have bulk. I'd tab em in with CSM then a Layer of 1708. I'd do this 3 times. Yep I said 3 times!!! I'd extend the first onto the hull 3" then 6" then 9"
So CSM x 1708 x CSM x 1708 x CSM x 1708 then cap it I would think also?
If you look at the pic I wont have that kind of room on the side of the mount that is next to the stringer, maybe 3" max, but inboard Ill have plenty to work with. I planned on laying a layer of CSM in the bilge after I tab the stringers in just to make it smooth and uniform.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The side mounts where the bolts go are the primary concern. Go over the top with the 1708 so they are totally covered with all 3 layers. The front mount since it has no penetrations is not as critical. I'd say 1 layer of csm and 2 1708 would suffice. Glass in the sides first then the front and that middle piece. Get as much tabbing to the hull as possible even if you have to go up the sides of the motor well/bilge. Make sure they remain at the same height as the originals.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

The side mounts where the bolts go are the primary concern. Go over the top with the 1708 so they are totally covered with all 3 layers. The front mount since it has no penetrations is not as critical. I'd say 1 layer of csm and 2 1708 would suffice. Glass in the sides first then the front and that middle piece. Get as much tabbing to the hull as possible even if you have to go up the sides of the motor well/bilge. Make sure they remain at the same height as the originals.

If you look back through my post I posted that the mounts were never symetrical front to back more like 1/2"-3/4" out of wack on each side height wise front to back. They measured square in the bilge but just not symetrical heigth wise. I plan on making them as close to original height as possible and the same side to side.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I don't know a lot about I/O set ups, but you might want to err on keeping the mounts a little bit on the shorter, height side and you can always make up the room with the mount adjustments or add some shims, but if you make them too high, you may end up with an alignment issue...just thinking out loud...:noidea:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im going to start tabbing tomorrow after work so I should be moving right along.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

GT good thinking! Ill be sure to do that! I wonder how much adjustment those motor mounts have?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was talking with the guy at fiberglasssupplydepot.com today and we got on floatation foam, he said never ever cut holes in your deck and pour foam in the holes???? says it will blow the deck off!!! I told him that Ive read about 50 restore jobs that have did that exact gthing with no issues!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The one thing you have to remember is that more than likely a majority of the folks that work in the marine supplies industry have never restored or maybe never even worked on a boat before, so most of what they "KNOW" is what they have heard from others...not the always the best resource...

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one thing you have to remember is that more than likely a majority of the folks that work in the marine supplies industry have never restored or maybe never even worked on a boat before, so most of what they "KNOW" is what they have heard from others...not the always the best resource...

Yep! I agree! but he said they do restores all the time, I havent seen one post about anyones deck getting pushed off or blown out, in all the threads Ive read.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick question! when doing my verticle tabbings/inside corners is it imparative to do the same amount of layers (2 layers 1- 6" and 1-8") just like the hull tabbing? assuming everything but the motor mounts gets 2 layers, the motor mounts get 3-4.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gonna bed my motor mounts tomorrow morning should I shim them off the hull an 1/8" or so?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im getting ready to cap all my stringers and layup the motor mounts, I installed them last night with PB. Things are progressing nicely at this point. I should be ready for the floor and foam in the next cpl weeks. I have a question Ive been trying to figure out. What should I do about floor drainage? Ie..water that might collect in the back of the boat to either side of the bilge/motor area? I was thinking of putting a through the floor drain in each rear corner and piping them down into the bilge for the bilge pump to evacuate the water?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Either that or raise the deck a bit so it will slope to the bilge only needs to be 1/4" or so.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tabbing my motor mounts and wondering the best way to layup the glass after tabbing them in? Im tabbing them with 3 layers of 1708 on each side and each end. So I wanna cover each of them, should I just cap em or run the layers down onto the deck?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd run it down as best you can. You want them to be Strong!!!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll be adding 1 more layer of tabbing which will give me 4 layers! how many layers of cap should I use?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up using 3 layers of 1708 on the motor mounts just for insurance! So Im back at it, everythings tabbed in, stringers are layed up and motor mounts are in and solid. Reinstalled the fuel tank and now Im ready to cap the stringers and install my firing strips for the floor. I still have to grind away the old floor lip on the hull. But all in all its coming together nicely!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

MMMMMMMM 1708! my fav! [URL=http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/lcwarden61/media/038_zps382283df.jpg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.