1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Sea Sprite 225 SSB transom re build.

While waiting for the temps here in S.E.Mich to get above 65 degrees so I can lay my last 2 layers of csm and continue on with my carpet, I decided to start doing some other things that needed done. Remaking the gunwale/bolster pads and the wood valance that conceals all the goodies in the back of the boat.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know of a good reputible marine upholstery supplier here in S.E.Mich? I'm wanting to try to source all my supplies from one company as to make sure the vinyl and welt/piping are from the same color lot, or very close in color.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not in Michigan but...I ordered ALL my vinyl from this supplier in Florida and it was GREAT quality, GREAT prices, GREAT Service, GREAT EVERYTHING... If you do your measurements correctly and add 5% overage you'll be fine. They deal with factory over runs and sell at BIG discounts. It's all High Quality stuff and I've never had any issues with service and or product. I think you'll be quite pleased. The ONLY issue you could have is if you had to re-order since they do have limited roll quantities. You can ask how much they have on hand but as I stated if you calculate a 5% overage you shouldn't have an issue. You could kick it to 10% to make sure you had enuf! If you're planning on doing your own sewing they have all the Thread, Piping etc...

Automotive Vinyls, Marine Canvas items in Marine Vinyl store on eBay!

Last edited:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not in Michigan but...I ordered ALL my vinyl from this supplier in Florida and it was GREAT quality, GREAT prices, GREAT Service, GREAT EVERYTHING... If you do your measurements correctly and add 5% overage you'll be fine. They deal with factory over runs and sell at BIG discounts. It's all High Quality stuff and I've never had any issues with service and or product. I think you'll be quite pleased. The ONLY issue you could have is if you had to re-order since they do have limited roll quantities. You can ask how much they have on hand but as I stated if you calculate a 5% overage you shouldn't have an issue. You could kick it to 10% to make sure you had enuf! If you're planning on doing your own sewing they have all the Thread, Piping etc...

Automotive Vinyls, Marine Canvas items in Marine Vinyl store on eBay!

Thanks WOG, Im going to give them a shot as soon as I figure out which white I have...Thanks again...Lee

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Lee, you can send them samples of your vinyl and they will do their very best to color match it with what they have in stock!!! Like I said, they ARE extremely Customer Service Oriented!!!!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally! ready for carpet! well kind of ready, need to paint the transom and bilge area tomorrow but otherwise its ready!

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lee, you can send them samples of your vinyl and they will do their very best to color match it with what they have in stock!!! Like I said, they ARE extremely Customer Service Oriented!!!!
WOG, I gave em a call and they're sending me a sample card of the tortuga vinyl he says is his most popular. Should be here Thurs and Ill decide which white. But they were extremely friendly and helpful and you cant beat his prices...Thanks for the heads up! I'm moveing right along now. Hopefully Ill splash this Beeaatch first of June!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I think you'll be very pleased with the samples too!!! They have quality products!!! BUT... make sure and confirm their quantities/availability by batch# in case you need to reorder. That's the ONLY thing they have problems with sometimes.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to get some rustoleum Acrylic enamel and some hardener for the transom and bilge. Will be painted tomorrow after work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sounds Like a Plan!!!! Pics REQUIRED!!!!:D

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didnt get to paint the transom and bilge, couldnt find the acrylic enamel hardener in stock anywhere so I had to order it from NAPA Auto. But I did get the seat bases glued in with Peanut butter.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK! I'm getting ready to paint my transom and bilge are with Rustoleum Industrial acrylic enamel + Hardener. I think I figured out the ratio of paint to harener but not positive. I want to mix a qt at a time so I figure if its an 8:1 ratio paint to harener that should be 4oz of hardener for every 32oz of paint? is that correct?

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Uhmmm, I THINK it's 2oz per 32oz I believe you add 8oz per Gallon of Paint OR 8oz per 128oz.
Soooo...
4 per 64 and 2 per 32 if my calculations are correct.

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

WOG everything Ive read says an 8:1 ratio = 16oz/1 pint into 128oz/1 gal or 128/32 so likewise 32/4=8. Most automotive paints require a reducer for gun spraying a 8:1:1 ratio, but Im rolling mine on so no reducer needed right?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You ARE correctamundo. I keep forgetting that I always mix 2 cups (1/2 quart) at a time thus the 2oz is in my head. Sorry.

See, I told you I'm an Old Dumb Okie!!!!:rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well....maybe I ain't so dumb...I went to the spec sheet and...

Where did you get your specs? These came from the Majic Hardener from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well....maybe I ain't so dumb...I went to the spec sheet and...

Where did you get your specs? These came from the Majic Hardener from Tractor Supply.

I cant find the Majic hardener at my TSC and Im finding everybody that uses Rustoleum oil based enamel is using hardener at 8:1

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent some time this evening conversing with Yacht Doctor on the subject of Mixing a urethane based hardener with an alkyd oil based paint. Before I painted my boat with Rustoleum and Valspar Hardener I did extensive research on the subject. I contacted Rustoleum, & Researched their site, I contacted Valspar, researched their site. Did extensive WEB research on the subject and it was my belief based on this research that this was a good and acceptable method for obtaining a durable inexpensive paint surface for my boat. I used it with success. I have since passed this acquired knowledge onto the people on this forum. Yacht Doctor's research with Rustoleum seems to indicate that they do NOT recommend adding this hardener to their product. Due to this fact I will no longer be making this recommendation. I will however state that Valspar DOES have an Alkyd Oil Based Paint and DOES have a Recommended hardener additive. By all that I can see their product is very similar to the Rustoleum product but I am NOT a Chemist and do not work for or represent either of these companies. I can only report what my research tells me. I used Rustoleum and the Valspar Hardener and the Acme Finish 1 Hardener. I have had good results. Have not observed any adverse affects from using the additive with the paint. Your results may be different than mine. In the future I will be using Valspars Oil based enamel and their hardener to ensure total comapatibility. Product is readily available at Tractor Supply, Inc. Stores. I apologize if anyone on iBoats feels that I have passed on improper or incorrect information.

So now you have me rethinking all this??? I called mylocal TSC and YES he has the majic tractor and implement enamel and the Majic hardener, cheaper too than what I payed at HD, Maybe Ill take this back and go with your recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.