1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I'm sure brakes were not required for that boat/trailer combination, so the manufacturer opted to keep costs down.
My 4 cyl powered 1750 and trailer is in the neighborhood of 2,700 lbs. I was upgrading spindles during a repair, and came across a deal on a disc brake kit, so I now have brakes. It's a nice upgrade. Necessary? Who's to say? Like you said; if you feel like it's pushing you around...

todhunter

Canoeist
Well I was going to pay a guy to buff the rest of the boat but got stood up 2 weekends in a row. So I sucked it up and finished the starboard side of the boat today. My arms are sore, but nothing ibuprofen and alcohol can't fix. I also was able to add the remaining decals to the starboard side and install the bilge pump's thru-hull fitting. Maybe next weekend I'll wash/wax. Here's a before and after. It looks great from about 3 feet away. Upon closer inspection, I did a terrible job with the wet sanding - LOTS of swirls on this side that I did not get sanded out. Oh well, learning experience and I'm just going to run with it this season.

20220327_090854.png

20220327_154643.png

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still looks pretty awesome from where I sit.

I'm far from an expert, but a good cutting compound might get those swirls out...

91marada

Recruit
Man. What an awesome restoration. Boat looks great. I plan to start restoration on mine soon and looks like a lot of work but defintly big payoff in the end. Especially if it comes out as good as yours. Great job.

chevymaher

Commander
It is time. I went down and got my tags for the landing and tags on the boat 2 days ago. I got to start it but like you said it a tad chilly still.

todhunter

Canoeist
It is time. I went down and got my tags for the landing and tags on the boat 2 days ago. I got to start it but like you said it a tad chilly still.
There's always the slight chance of a cold snap again by the end of April, but I couldn't resist. I'll re-winterize if I've got to, but I think we're good. Hoping to practice at the boat ramp a few times on weekdays in the coming weeks.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
I want try my other carb so bad, but there is too high of a chance for below freezing weather here yet, so I'll have to follow you and pretend it's me doing it, lol.
We had snow the first week of May last year 😔

todhunter

Canoeist
I want try my other carb so bad, but there is too high of a chance for below freezing weather here yet, so I'll have to follow you and pretend it's me doing it, lol.
We had snow the first week of May last year 😔
Snow in May? Brutal! Hopefully 3-4 more weeks and you'll be able to fire it up!

todhunter

Canoeist
The Powerplay XLT 185 is a rare and badass little boat. You did an amazing job bringing this one back (y)
Thanks man! I've really grown to love this boat. I wish I could say I sought out an XLT-185, but I was just looking for something cheap to get me on the water and my brother found it on CraigsList and said I should get it, so I did. I feel lucky to have ended up with such a cool boat, when I probably would have literally bought anything with an IO.

todhunter

Canoeist
Today we had our first day on the water this year. We took the boat up-river 25 miles and then back (50 mile round trip). It did great. Wife did good backing the trailer up, and I didn't forget to put the plug in! Full disclosure...I did forget to trim up as she pulled the boat up the ramp and we dragged the skeg about 2 ft before I hollered for her to stop. Nothing more than a minor scrape, though. Today was a good learning experience - starting to figure out how drive trim and the trim tabs affect handling of the boat.

chevymaher

Commander
Nice. The skeg just sharpen the bottom with a med file and spray it with satin black rattle can. Once it is in the water once nobody will ever know.

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Your rear seat passenger looks cold.
If you find a fail-safe reminder to raise the lower unit and not drag the skeg, let me know.
If you ever consider a Skeggard, I will personally endorse that brand. I thought it was allot of money, but it has saved (what's left of my) skeg twice already.

todhunter

Canoeist
Haha, I asked her repeatedly if she was fine and she kept saying yes and refused to switch seats with my wife.

Glad to know I'm not the only one to drag the skeg!

todhunter

Canoeist
Took the boat out on the lake yesterday for Mother's Day - all went well. Water's still a little chilly for swimming, but it was nice to just be out.
20220508_130559.png

Today I worked on a project for a cell phone holder on my dash. I use the Navionics app for charts, and trying to balance the phone on the dash or have my wife hold it and read the chart to me isn't working like I want. There was no off-the-shelf solution I found, so I pieced it together myself from Amazon. It's a camera mount base that screws to the dash, a short "magic arm", and an aluminum cell phone clamp mount. I also wired in another USB port under the dash, made a bracket, and feed a short USB cable up through a drain hole in one of the cup holders to keep the phone charged while using the charts. The magic arm allows the phone to easily be adjusted into virtually any orientation and it's very solid when you lock it all down.

20220509_1332333.png

20220509_1332323.png

20220509_1332331.png20220509_133332.png

chevymaher

Commander
Your lucky here the river flooded again. I went today and checked it out. Trees everywhere, still supposed to rise 10 more feet. That is actually into the streets.

Good job on the phone holder. Great minds think alike. I got the same set up. And it you remember I added a cig lighter and dual usb for charging. One is run right where the phone and charts are.

I am sweating it is late here for going out. Last year i been out 5 times by now. This year cold and rainy. I got it waxed and clean but haven't started it.

Looks good enjoy.