1987 Power Play XLT-185 - floors, stringers, and upholstery

todhunter

Canoeist
Installed a small hand-operated fire extinguisher under the dash. This will complement the halon extinguisher in the engine bay.
20220206_113015.png

Also got the port side panel installed in the boat. I still need to install the bench seat and sun pad. Just gotta find the time and warm-enough temps to do it.
20220206_113024.png

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Tod, I have been away for a while and needed to go back several pages to get caught up with your progress. Wow, just wow. Congrats on the splash and thanks for sharing such a great project with the rest of us!

todhunter

Canoeist
Hi Tod, I have been away for a while and needed to go back several pages to get caught up with your progress. Wow, just wow. Congrats on the splash and thanks for sharing such a great project with the rest of us!
Thanks for the kind words. With the days getting longer and warmer, I'm hoping to get back to working on it so I can finish it up! Getting it splashed in November was a good feeling.

todhunter

Canoeist
Nice weather, so I pulled the boat out today to work on it.

No pictures, but I fixed the courtesy lighting in the engine bay. Basically I had originally tried to just peel and stick the LED strip to the raw fiberglass - that didn't work and it fell down. I bought more of the aluminum channel with snap-in diffuser lens to mount the LED strips into, then mounted those in the engine bay.

Next I got the sun pad installed. First I mounted the hinges to the boat.
20220219_145636.png

Then I set the sun pad on the boat and transferred the hinge positions to the sun pad, then drilled the holes into the sun pad.
20220219_150633.png

20220219_150628.png

Last, I installed new brackets and new gas shocks, as well as a grab handle.
20220219_170744.png

20220219_170755.png

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can now say that I've read your thread start to finish... Fantastic build. Hella inspirational, and - as with so many of the other shared stories here - a fantastic tutorial on how to go about doing many of the small projects that together comprise a high-quality restoration.

Here's to you getting to enjoy it a ton in the coming boating season, and for many more thereafter.

todhunter

Canoeist
I can now say that I've read your thread start to finish... Fantastic build. Hella inspirational, and - as with so many of the other shared stories here - a fantastic tutorial on how to go about doing many of the small projects that together comprise a high-quality restoration.

Here's to you getting to enjoy it a ton in the coming boating season, and for many more thereafter.
Thanks man! It seems like yesterday I was pulling rotten wood out of the hull. I owe a bunch to this forum and a few YouTube channels for giving me the knowledge and confidence to tackle this myself. I'm watching your thread too. 👀

todhunter

Canoeist
I got the bench seat installed today. That's the last of the upholstery pieces to install.
20220220_123333.png

20220220_123322.png

I also installed the speakers. I had to wait to do this because to install the bench seat, I had to reach through the speaker holes to put the screws in.
20220220_154756.png

I didn't get as far along as I'd hope today, but I got back on wet sanding the starboard side. I went through all the grits and buffing compounds right at the tip of the bow - this means I don't have to build cribbing under the keel any more to make room to get the sander and buffer around the bow roller. I've still got about half the side to do in 800, then the whole thing in 1000, then 2 stages of buffing compound.
20220220_154725.png

todhunter

Canoeist
If it was originally galvanized, what are you going to use to clean, etch it?
Haven't thought about it being galvanized and needing special treatment. I was just going to clean up the rusty areas, sand the rest, prime, and paint. Is this not how it's done?

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wiping down with acetone or something equivalent probably wouldn't hurt and may be all that needs to be done on the non- rusted areas. I know that I've had issues on non weathered galvinization due to the surface being oily and extremely smooth but being the trailer is not new the issues I experienced may not be prominent.
I'm actually searching about it now because I will be doing the same thing eventually.

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've painted galvanized stuff before and you could easily scratch the paint off with your fingernails. I think you are supposed to acid etch it or use an acid etching primer. I touched up a few places on one a year ago with acid etch primer and cold galvanizing spray and it stuck solid.

todhunter

Canoeist
How can i tell if it's galvanized? I mean it's already been painted and other than where its rusted, that has lasted 35 years (it's original paint). I'm not planning to strip it other than the rusty areas.