1983 Starcraft PM160 how to?

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
IMG_2908.JPG

Where'd the rivets go? I'm guessing all the holes here should be full of rivet. Did do much with it last night, got a little lazy, but plan on digging in tonight. Going to devise a way to use my floor jack to help buck and install the new rivets as they are mostly on the very bottom of the hull thus pretty flat surface. Thoughts? What length rivet should I be using for the rib rivets there? Its going through the rib, the hull then the keel plate. I have some aluminum 3/16th x 1/2" brazier head rivets. Would these work?

Here's that retractable dock line setup I mentioned in an earlier post. Love these things!
IMG_2909.JPG

The rope has a little rubber ball and metal loop seen there in the center of that cleat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah 1/2" solids are perfect for 3 layers. Not sure how a jack is going to work inside the boat as a bucking bar while your under it hammering. I can see things going wrong since there's so much vibration, Show a pic of your set up if it works and if it doesn't well we won't talk about that. :lol:

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Well the plan was to place the jack on the outside of the rivet and hammer the inside(bucktail)? Or do I have that wrong? I thought you bucked the head and hammered the tail? I've got all the bad rivets marked for removal now. I've got one of the floor supports re-riveted, still need to drill out a few popped rivets on the starboard side support. I now think it did take a hit to the starboard side with the way the starboard side floor support rivets were popped..

Question: The current rivets are 11/64ths. At least thats which drillbit fits best. Very snug but goes. I have 3/16ths rivets(both solid and blind) which do Not fit in the holes. Do I look for a smaller rivet or bore the holes to 3/16ths?

Watermann

Take the holes up to 3/16ths. The rivet set I have that goes in the air hammer is domed for a 3/16" brazier head.

RA1015-9336-xl.jpg

Then on the tail is the bucking bar (makes the buck tail)

12-02688.jpg

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
If thats the case, I can just sit something really heavy on the hole? Any idea where I can get the tool cheap? I found a 7" version cheap but I don't think I'd have the clearance to use that long bit under the boat. fleabay has some stuff I guess so I'll look again there.

Watermann

Found my set and bar on Amazon, also the cleco set.