1983 Starcraft PM160 how to?

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1983 Starcraft PM160 how to?

I think you have to remove that big hunk o'tin (It's St. Paddy's Day :)) to the right of that pesky screw. And the one on the other side too. The pesky screw is in the Z-channel, which runs about full width from side to side. You might find foam inside the formed box. Again this is based on the older SCs. But im some of your pics I can see the rivets for the Z-channel going full width.

IMG_00207.jpg

Well its open to the right of that support you see there. But that support isn't budging as it has the deck mounted to the top. That picture is from inside the access hole I created and dug all the foam out. So its open on the other side and I can see all the way across that Z channel. No other screws besides this one.. I'm going to try again, but I dont think i can move that support blocking the screw unless I take that whole back casting deck off.. All rivets except the hatches. Really don't want get into that!

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drill a 3/8 hole in the tin just forward of the rivet you are trying to remove then drill out the rivet.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 3/8” hole should not change the structural integrity of the deck support.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK - how about this. Remove the two screws, the one under the red circle and the other toward the front. Then the panel might be shifted enough to get the pesky screw out. Try a piece of wood and one of my favorite tools - A BFH - to try moving the panel.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

OK - how about this. Remove the two screws, the one under the red circle and the other toward the front. Then the panel might be shifted enough to get the pesky screw out. Try a piece of wood and one of my favorite tools - A BFH - to try moving the panel.
I tried that. It didn't budge more than 1/8" or so if that. And as soon as I let go, it moved back. Can't really get a BFH on it is the problem. Too tight, but maybe from the other side since its a little more open. Hmm. I'll revisit that idea when I get home. I like the 3/8" hole in front. If not, I think I'm going to try the oscillating dremel.. Been looking for an excuse to buy one of those. :) Should be able to get the head of the screw off then maybe push it in a bit with a punch or something. Enough to clear the screw hole.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

A good excuse to buy a new tool! Any excuse is good to buy new tools. :joyous:

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the splash well free? I know when I did the alum transom in my boat and replaced the splash well, I was drilling and riveting where it was screwed to the wood.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Is the splash well free? I know when I did the alum transom in my boat and replaced the splash well, I was drilling and riveting where it was screwed to the wood.

It is not free. I'll double check here soon and see exactly what's still holding it in and report back. Thanks for the input folks :) I really appreciate it!

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

The splashwell is part of the bracing. It's only coming out if I take the rear deck off then the while metal structure supporting the rear deck.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Lol! That's great. I was really hoping to do some fishing in it this year.. I did end up getting that last screw out of the z channel but it's still not budging. I believe all that's holding it in right now is some sillycone on each end of the transom and a bit of squeeze from right tolerances at the gaps. I'm gonna call in some muscle and see if we ant lift it out in the next couple days. I'm not sure the screw eyes are the best option here. I've seen guys run wire through te bolt holes and attach the lift there, anyone have any other tips for lifting the tea som up and out?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Lol! That's great. I was really hoping to do some fishing in it this year.. I did end up getting that last screw out of the z channel but it's still not budging. I believe all that's holding it in right now is some sillycone on each end of the transom and a bit of squeeze from right tolerances at the gaps. I'm gonna call in some muscle and see if we ant lift it out in the next couple days. I'm not sure the screw eyes are the best option here. I've seen guys run wire through te bolt holes and attach the lift there, anyone have any other tips for lifting the tea som up and out?

Do you have a clear visual of the entire transom & z-bracket?

GA_Boater

^^^ That was my next question. I would like to see the entire stern area.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yep just pull the deck and splashwell, I wish I would have just pulled it on the 16' had to pull it on the 18' by the time your are done solving how to do it without pulling the deck and well you could have already pulled it cut new decking, transom and had the old transom out.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Yep just pull the deck and splashwell, I wish I would have just pulled it on the 16' had to pull it on the 18' by the time your are done solving how to do it without pulling the deck and well you could have already pulled it cut new decking, transom and had the old transom out.

Pulling the splashwell means pulling the entire casting deck support. Its mostly one piece and screwed down to the main deck. I'm pretty sure I'd also have to remove the channel on the gunnel that is sitting over the deck. I'm pretty sure there the casting deck is riveted under the channel. Starboard side gunnel has the channel running all the way to the helm to conceal the wiring/steering cable running to the back.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I'm with Sig, take everything in the stern apart so you can see and get to what needs repaired. You would be surprised how easy it is to make the needed repairs when your not trying to work inside holes upside down. Don't worry about drilling rivets out, it's 5 bucks for a box of rivets to replace them. Besides the rivets back there are all probably getting loose by now and could stand having some nice tight new ones.

SigSaurP229

Commander

You can drill all those rivets in less time than it takes to get that one screw

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

From the back. Not from the inside. Its compartmentalized. I'll see what I can do.

Time to start rippin' into that deck & splashwell :madgrin:

I believe that you'll thank us later :D

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Even if the whole deal is riveted to the hull?

IMG_00214.jpg

Those rivets going down are holding that structure to the hull. Gah! Whelp, looks I'm gonna be drilling some reeevits. That the best way? Drill? Or chisel the heads? There goes my budget I didn't really have in the first place! lol.

IMG_00216.jpg