1983 Starcraft PM160 how to?

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer
Starting another thread as my first one kinda fizzled out as I did more fishing than restoring the past 2 years but now I've got the motor off and am redoing the transom at least.. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to get at a few things.. And I may have the only one of these boats in existence so finding any info on it has been challenging!

IMG_0258.JPG

Theres this rear casting deck/storage area in the stern.. a couple bolts on each end through the transom come up behing some of this decking to which I have no access to. I'm guessing the tops of this is all wood, in good shape. Carpet included. I was trying not to have to ruin/redo the carpet back here but I'm thinking I'm going to have to take the tops off this deck in the back to do anything? Are these usually screwed down around the edges? Whats the best way to get old carpet up? It's on there pretty good.. Which is why I've been hesitant to start prying it up.. I can post more pics if necessary. I'll definitely update as I progress! Can't find anything really close to this with the decking on the restoration thread.

IMG_00195.jpg

Here it is "in action" with my trolling setup. Will give you a better idea of the construction of the boat. Sorry about the wavyness.. Didn't realize that feature would do that. Also didn't realize I breathed that loud lol..

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 1983 Starcraft PM160 how to?

Anyway you can post a zoomed out pic of the whole transom.from the top and back?

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome back to the Dry Dock. I had a 16 SS with the same carpet and I found that the screws were hidden in the nap of the carpet around the edges. I took a small flat screw driver and felt along the edges till I found the head of a screw, then find a second one and it will give you the approximate spacing and location to find the rest. Hope that works for ya.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Whelp, I found one. They are actually rivets. NOt sure how I feel about this.

IMG_00202.jpg

I think to remove the whole top on this side, I'm going to have to get under this extruded passage they've riveted to the gunnel.. Which means removing more rivets.

Last edited:

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

IMG_00203.jpg

The bolts I need out:

IMG_00205.jpg

Im thinking maybe I should just grind em out and plug those holes? The two on the opposite side are easily accessible.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The bolts I need out:

Im thinking maybe I should just grind em out and plug those holes? The two on the opposite side are easily accessible.

I think you need those 2 bolts going through the new transom. You have access through that cubby hole, but your arms aren't long enough?

Even if you were to grind those 2 bolts out, you still have some phillips head screws on the L channel at the bottem of the wood transom. (right above the drain plug)

I guess you could cut in some new access hatches....

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

I think you need those 2 bolts going through the new transom. You have access through that cubby hole, but your arms aren't long enough?

Even if you were to grind those 2 bolts out, you still have some phillips head screws on the L channel at the bottem of the wood transom. (right above the drain plug)

I guess you could cut in some new access hatches....
I can get to the very bottom I believe. That section is walled in aluminum. I can get under it, just not into it.
That was my thought until I saw the foam on the drillbit.. I guess I can scoop the foam out. Would probably have to make a custom hatch there as its a bit narrow on that side. Hmm. New access hatch it is. It'd be nice to do something of a tackle tray storage.

Last edited:

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

So I got the hole cut and foam removed and got the troublesome bolts. I think this was actually a point for water intrusion.. The transom was pretty wet right there.. The bolts were a bit loose, no washers behind the wood. I also got most of the screws out but found one hidden directly behind part of the deck framing.. Which isn't coming out. They didn't design this thing to come apart I'll tell you that much.. At the bottom of the transom, theres a trough thats holding it. That L channel. There were about 6, 1" screws spanning the length. Its one of these screws I won't be able to get at. I think I'm just going to get everything else out and give it a tug. Hopefully its rotten enough at that point it kinda rips out I dunno. If it ain't one thing its another!!

Last edited:

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I screwed some eyelets into the top of the transom and pulled a bit with a lift and it didn't budge. One of the top pieces was glued to the gunnel with a sealant or adhesive and it took ripping the wood to remove it. This thing is IN THERE! Going to take it out under the crab apple tree and try to hoist it out with that. Any advice on this part? I know theres at least one screw left in there as per the picture above.. Near the very bottom or transom.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like the transom drain tubes are still in. They gotta come out.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like the transom drain tubes are still in. They gotta come out.

Well that was a question I had typed up but didn't hit send. There's only one, and I've got each end crunched up to where I don't think it's catching but wasn't able to pop it through without some major effort. Any tricks to these? I really don't think it's catching on anything. The outside edge is pretty crushed and pushed through the transom skin. Just the one drain. The other through hulls are below the transom wood.

IMG_00212.jpg

As you can see, that one screw eye pulled right out of the wood when I applied some lift. I'm going to try to air chisel that last screw I can see and hand the hoist from the tree out front. Was making me a little nervous trying to lift with the trusses in the garage ceiling..

Don't ask about the burger flipper ;) Ok, so I thought I was going to use it to cut up and gouge out the foam under the decking :) Ended up using a drywall saw and my hand instead. I'm still kinda sore and bruised from trying to wedge my whole right side down into that access hole I cut! Owie!

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

For the drain tubes I take a punch and knock them in on them selves, then a take a socket the same size as the hole and knock them through with the socket.

GA_Boater

Is that the splashwell or fish box in front of the transom? Might help to take it out and give you a clearer view of all the underneath fasteners. I'm not familiar with the "new" Starcrafts, but pulling the splashwell makes a world of difference getting the transom wood out of the old ones.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

splashwell. I'd remove it if it weren't riveted everywhere to the aluminum deck bracing. I made sure to run something between the splashwell and the transom wood. Its all pretty much rotten along that seam. I'll look at disassembling more of decking but I think thats going to be a real pain. I took a video looking around under the decking there. I'm fairly certain I've gotten everything except that one pesky screw which I think I have a plan for now. One of the dremel reciprocating tools. Going to borrow a buddys. i think they may have used some serious adhesive on the ends of the transom wood. They had the top piece(transom was actually 3 pieces of wood) glued in really well.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I think you have to remove that big hunk o'tin (It's St. Paddy's Day :)) to the right of that pesky screw. And the one on the other side too. The pesky screw is in the Z-channel, which runs about full width from side to side. You might find foam inside the formed box. Again this is based on the older SCs. But im some of your pics I can see the rivets for the Z-channel going full width.

IMG_00207.jpg

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What size is it and what was it before it was modified?