1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Gel looks great. I always thought it was a real bear to spray gel but you make it look easy :D

Its not really hard to spray .. its Quick though :) .

Decker .. Im very happy that you pushed on with this gel spray thing. Its a warm fuzzy feeling when your all cleaned up and looking at what you just did with 'gel' isnt it :D .

Nice work man.. I could not have done it better myself.

Cheers YD.

PS. Did you dream about it afterwards ;) .. fun fun.

Trooper82

Commander

I'm anxious to see how it looks without the PVA!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I'm anxious to see how it looks without the PVA!!

Its gonna be about the same .. lol. Just a bit brighter pics.

I want some sanded buff pics .. oh like a mirror kinda thing :)

YD.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I want some sanded buff pics ..

hmmm.gif
It's late, and this was not the image I wanted stuck in the less then fully utilized gray matter between my ears....

Sanded & buffed out gelcoat'd hull pix.. Yeah, those I'd like to see... :)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Yacht Dr.
I want some sanded buff pics ..

It's late, and this was not the image I wanted stuck in the less then fully utilized gray matter between my ears....

I understand .. Its a bit on the gore side.

The new buffer .. a guy recently that had kicked back a buffer on a handrail into his teeth.. Kicked the buffer back and knocked out his front tooth ... along with wrapping the cord around his hand ( the trigger lock was on ) and instantly wrap the cord around his hand ( along with the trigger finger ) therefore not being able to release the power switch to his nice Dewalt buffer to trigger OFF. Imagine That !! Just kicked your teeth off.. the power cable wraps around your trigger finger making it impossible to release the power to the tool.

I guess when your having a bad day .. you can have a worse day :) ..

Or unless your talking about sanded and buffed in a non family environment .. well I tried to once with a Porter Cable DA with 80 grit on my legs. No matter how hard I tried the blisters never came out with buffing them with glaze :D ..

YD.

D

Deleted member 340796

Question, what is the PVA? Is that something you are adding to the gel or it just forms as a result of applying gel? If it forms as a result of applying the gel, what would happen if you did not remove it?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Decker!

Great job on the gel brutha!

I think PVA is Poly Vinyl Alcohol...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Question, what is the PVA? Is that something you are adding to the gel or it just forms as a result of applying gel? If it forms as a result of applying the gel, what would happen if you did not remove it?

Yup .. PVA is Polyvinyl Alcohol .

For those in the boat building industry its normally used as a Mold Release Film. ( wax and spray some PVA on the mold before laminating a part )

For the boat repair guys out there .. its function is a replacement for a "surface agent" ( Wax additive ) that would be mixed into the gelcoat/resin mix. The PVA is Sprayed over the top of the gelcoat after it has tacked off.

Basically its a post surface agent that locks in the chemicals to do its thing. Its water soluble so all you have to do is wash it off with water or a wet rag or whatnot depending on the size of the repair.

YD.

D

Deleted member 340796

So gel coat is one of the surfaces that will only get tacky and not fully harden unless it is closed off from air? Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Yacht Dr.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So gel coat is one of the surfaces that will only get tacky and not fully harden unless it is closed off from air? Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Yacht Dr.

Well .. no thats not completely correct..

The sub surface will fully harden .. leaving the exposed surface to flash off ( the solvents ( mainly styrene ) will flash before the complete cure can be created ).

If its a small dot repair .. then there is no reason to apply PVA or any other agent in your gel.

Simply wipe off the uncured gel with acetone to get to the cured layers underneath it.

You can sand and buff that material. Its just the surface that will be uncured. Below that should be cured in all cases.

Heat is what gives poly its 'cure' .. its not like epoxy that needs a ratio resin/hardener chems to complete the cure.

If you have ever done a big layup of poly .. you should expect a LOT of heat. I dont care if you have your wax in it or not .. that lam is going to Cure. And HOT too :) .

Using PVA or other surface agents are normally for Topcoats Only ! .. Other applications just dont need it ( not desired ).

YD.

D

Deleted member 340796

Thanks again Yacht Dr. You and the others are a full encyclopedia of knowledge and how too's. I am so lucky to have come upon iboats. Being a visual learner, I can not tell you how over the top this site and watching everyone's projects have helped me. Decker, Trooper, Oops, Yacht Dr, SPPHELPS, JB, GT and especially Wood - you people are wonderful and thank you all any anyone I left out.

Decker, sorry for the derail. Again, Great work and keep it up as I am eager to learn more from you all.

Decker83

Commander

Decker, Spraying Gelcoat is fast becoming a lost art. You, my friend seem to have "Found" it!!!! I'm impressed!!!!! Thinning it with Styrene seems to have done the trick. Thanks for documenting and sharing it with us and all those who will reference this in the future. Your skills will be used as a standard for years to come here on the forum. I commend you on your work and comittment to excellence.

Wood, Thank you for all the kind words.. Maybe with all the other gentlemen putting in there help, someone might get some good out of this.. Thanks for all your help Wood..

Its not really hard to spray .. its Quick though :) .

Decker .. Im very happy that you pushed on with this gel spray thing. Its a warm fuzzy feeling when your all cleaned up and looking at what you just did with 'gel' isnt it :D .

Nice work man.. I could not have done it better myself.

Cheers YD.

PS. Did you dream about it afterwards ;) .. fun fun.

YD. I doubt I could even come close to your work..I thank you for the great complement...Yes I did dream about this more than 1 time.. It does feel good to have the hull sprayed but the real truth will be how it sands and polishes out..
I really want to thank you for all your advice and effort you have given me...I don't think I could have done it without your help..

Hey Decker!

Great job on the gel brutha!

Thanks bear_69cuda..

Thanks again Yacht Dr. You and the others are a full encyclopedia of knowledge and how too's. I am so lucky to have come upon iboats. Being a visual learner, I can not tell you how over the top this site and watching everyone's projects have helped me. Decker, Trooper, Oops, Yacht Dr, SPPHELPS, JB, GT and especially Wood - you people are wonderful and thank you all any anyone I left out.

Decker, sorry for the derail. Again, Great work and keep it up as I am eager to learn more from you all.

No problem AJ.. YD gave some more great info here and I need all I can get.
I think you explained i-boats forum very well. There are some Great Gentelmen and Ladys here on i-boats and it makes this forum the best on the net.. I thoroughly enjoy reading the threads..

Decker83

Commander

I had another warm day in Texas so I broke out the spray gun and did some more spraying.
Tried to use the same method as last time and it seamed to work..
Here or a couple of pics without the PVA sprayed on.

100_2559.jpg

100_2560.jpg

100_2560.jpg

Just hope the gel hardens ok. Got a late start and it started to get a little cool in the late afternoon.
It's suppost to get up to 71 degress tomorrow so I will let the sun shine on the hull and see what happens.
I did spray the PVA on after I took the pics.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend...

Decker83

Commander

Well I can tell I'm not doing to good tonight. I posted the same pic twice.. To much sniffing the gel coat...
Heres the other pic I wanted to post...

100_2562.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well this 1/2 looks great too.... Good thing, the fish & passengers may have refused to board her all uneven & stuff :madgrin:

Really looks good, hope the sunshine helps it kick, if need be....

Trooper82

Commander

Oh man! That came out looking gret Decker! bet it won't take anything to get it sanded down and buffed out.....looking sweet buddy...

Decker83

Commander

Thanks JBC.. At the speed I'm going there might not be anyone going aboard..:deadhorse:

Decker83

Commander

Thanks Trooper, I sure hope your right.. I am so ready to get this part over and get the hull flipped..Maybe after Christmas I can get in some more work. Thanks buddy..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They say...
images

So I find you GUILTY of doing a GREAT JOB!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Lookin great Decker ! Makes me wish I had went with gell .
Btw , the kickin the dead horse smilie just makes me laugh ! :lol: