Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Deck Boat Transom/deck/stringer replacement Help

Wow, Great GrandPa.
images

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Grandpa? Great grandpa???

Heck man, you don't look a day over 29!!

Congrats buddy!:D

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Boatnut74. 8 of them now and 1 more coming.
Maybe I should think about building a double decker. :thumb:

I like that....."a double decker"..... :laugh:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congratulations and Blessings all around!:joyous:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Congrats on the new additions... I can here the little ones now: "My great grandpa can sand, fair and gel coat a boat better than your great grandpa"

D

Deleted member 340796

Not much work on the boat this last week.
Became a grandfather today at 5:30 am. My middle daughter had a boy. Makes 8 now. Will be a great grandfather Saturday if things go as planed. This will be the first for great grandfather. She is going to have a girl.
While my middle daughter was having her baby, my youngest daughter had to take her youngest boy to the hospital and have surgery on his blader. All went well for each of them.

The weather is suppost to be in the upper 70's this weekend and I hope to finnish the gel coat.:whoo:

Decker, Congrats on being a Grandpa again, you can never have too many grandkids. Hope things go well Sat as planned and congrats on the Great Grandpa status. Enjoy the moments. Sorry to hear grandson had to have surgery, but very happy he is doing well. Take care and be there for the family. The boat will wait.

Friscoboater

Captain

Congrats on the 8th grandchild. You going to need that big deckboat for all the kiddos :)

Friscoboater

Captain

J, I just wanted to say that I have learned so much from watching your videos on youtube from the start all the way to your swim deck and after seeing what you've done with your boat I would longer be afraid to tackle anything on my little Astroglass, you made tears come to my wife and my eyes over your Moms passing which we saw yesterday for the first time, my Moms 91 and doing good, sorry for your loss.

We were so surprised when we saw your boat completed, it didn't look like the same boat, just a couple of questions if you will, how many gallon gas tank did you put in and how many bags of trash did you get out of the boat...

Respectfully

I just saw this post, and I thank you for the condolences.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, definitely need more space on the deck. Double deck or double wide!

Sea ya...

Decker83

Commander

First I wnat to Thank Each One of You for the congrats on the addition to my family. They are all doing well.

I sprayed new gel coat this weekend. I made some changes this time. I did use the styrene (like YD said to use) to reduce the gel by 10%. I used 3oz of styrene to 32oz of gel. This made a huge difference in how the gel sprayed. I did not try to spray heavy coats this time. I set the presure pot @ 20lbs and set the air @ the gun @ 30lbs. I opened the fluid knob to where the gel would just start to orange peel and then back off a 1/16 of turn. This would lay down a really smooth spray and give me about a 5mil thickness maybe alittle more(did not have a gauge) I sprayed 5 coats on this way. It gave me a much smoother surface and I think alot less sanding and alot less waste of gel coat. The side I sprayed is close to 101 sq ft and I used 3 gallons of gel. I think it will be thick enough this time without sanding through it. I did use the plastic bags in the presure pot and it seams to work ok. It saved alot of acetone. The bags did however hold a small amout of gel that did not spary. Maybe 2 to 3oz of gel. The clean up was much faster also. I am going to try to find some bags that are a closer fit to the pot the next time and see if that helps with the wasted gel.
Another thing that I noticed about the reduced gel was it helped cover some of the imperfection better.
All the way around this time was a much better experience than the first time.
Here are 2 pics of the new spray. The PVA hides how smooth the gel coat is but you can get a good ideal.

100_2557.jpg

This is just a close up'
100_2558.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great! Glad it went better...

Trooper82

Commander

That's great news Decker!! Looks like it went much better for you too...how much time did it take to spray 32 oz? that's almost a liter right? That is twice what I sprayed...curious how it was on timeing...especially if you were spring thin...and it sounds like you were...

Looks great man!

Decker83

Commander

Looks great! Glad it went better...
Thanks jbc. It was alot better.

That's great news Decker!! Looks like it went much better for you too...how much time did it take to spray 32 oz? that's almost a liter right? That is twice what I sprayed...curious how it was on timeing...especially if you were spring thin...and it sounds like you were...

Looks great man!

Thanks Trooper. I was spraying 1qt @ a time. I set a timer @ 15 minutes and it took about 10 to 11 minutes to spray and about 4-5 minutes left to clean the gun. With the bags I could open the pot and wipe down the pickup tube poor in some acetone and close it up and spray it clean in 2 minutes. It was going on pretty thick but I didn't let it orange peel this time. I'm pretty sure I have at least 30mils sprayed on. Just guessing, I don't have a gauge. By judging the tape I used and some of the place's the gel covered I think I'm good.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! Looks great!!! Nice work.... Gotta love the south...spraying gel outside in December....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nice work ! Glad it came out better for ya this time ! Can,t wait to see it all shined up !

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Most excellent! Looks like the learning curve is getting a little shallower...

Thanks for sharing, Decker...your experiences will greatly help any in the future who do a gel finish...

D

Deleted member 340796

:clap2::victorious::cheer2: Great job, yet another master of gel coating.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Gel looks great. I always thought it was a real bear to spray gel but you make it look easy :D

Decker83

Commander

Wow! Looks great!!! Nice work.... Gotta love the south...spraying gel outside in December....
Thanks PMC Who would of thought 83 degress in Dec. Gotta love it.

Nice work ! Glad it came out better for ya this time ! Can,t wait to see it all shined up !
I am looking forward to that day as well SP. Really need to get this done.

Most excellent! Looks like the learning curve is getting a little shallower...

Thanks for sharing, Decker...your experiences will greatly help any in the future who do a gel finish...

Thanks GT1M It has been an adventure for sure. Just hoping it gets better on the rest of the gel.
:clap2::victorious::cheer2: Great job, yet another master of gel coating.
Thanks AJ. I don't know about master... Jack of all trades and master at none. (LOL)

Gel looks great. I always thought it was a real bear to spray gel but you make it look easy :D

Thanks Boatnut74, You have got that right... It was a real bear to spray and I'm only 1/3rd of the way done. (lol)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Decker, Spraying Gelcoat is fast becoming a lost art. You, my friend seem to have "Found" it!!!! I'm impressed!!!!! Thinning it with Styrene seems to have done the trick. Thanks for documenting and sharing it with us and all those who will reference this in the future. Your skills will be used as a standard for years to come here on the forum. I commend you on your work and comittment to excellence.