1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

I'd bet there would be a lot of glasser's that would cry watching that happen.

I'm surprised the windshield didn't get pulled. Curved glass = big $$

For a dump, the CAT operator really seemed to handle the SR gently. It may not yet met w/ an unsavory end...........

Esp not seeing the other guy watching it get 'gently' pushed to the back, and left there. That's not SOP for any dump I've ever been to, and I've been to a bunch in numerous different states, some frequently........... Normally, they smash & crush up EVERYTHING asap, else it doesn't get done before it gets buried in a pile. And space is always at a premium, even at the dump.......

I believe 1 of those 2 fella's is thinking they just scored a great free boat.......

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Definitely would have pulled the windshield and held onto it to sell in Spring.
I pulled the windshield off my '93 Chaparral donor boat and sold the right side and center section for $100 and the left side for $75. They were only on craigslist for a few days. I guess I priced them too low? Windshields will always sell and only take a few minutes to remove.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I'm not gonna lie...I cringed a little, but never saw the destruction. The guy with the front loader waited for you to leave, then he either a) Packed it up and took it home OR b) He and his co-workers had a great afternoon with working out the pent up aggression...relatively speaking!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah fellas, I actually pulled a few pieces off of that windshield to use down the road, plus, there was a crack in the bottom of one of the sections. In the end I just wasn't feeling like it was worth the explanation/haggle/remove/storage/move around in my garage for a 1/2 year/pack/insure/ship from eBay/clist. Trust me, I feed on the bottom here guys, if I felt it was worth it, I would have pulled it off.

Yah, he crushed it as I was pulling out, never fear:encouragement:

barato2

Commander

oh good, you know what happens when you don't shoot glassers in the head.....Night of the Living Glasser. not much scarier than zombie fiberglass boats :eek:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

oh good, you know what happens when you don't shoot glassers in the head.....Night of the Living Glasser. not much scarier than zombie fiberglass boats :eek:

:laugh: too funny!

dozerII

Admiral

That is so Sweet to see, all that itchy stuff going underground. What did that cost you to dispose of down there Jason, and what did it weigh?

Gibbles

Commander

so far I have only had to dump one glasser, and I'm not positive if the nice lady under charged me but I saw the crusher driver pull out his phone when he saw us yank it off of the trailer, right before he drove over it :lol:
(local dump uses these super cool cat crusher tractor things to run over the garbage to compact, has a bull dozer front and jumbo spiked steel wheels)

I paid $3, and I was expecting more... I had even gone through it to remove anything they might charge me extra for.
In the end she just flagged me to the main dumping grounds with a funny joke about the boat "gave up on it eh?" :lol:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ah! That makes the whole thing even better!

Check it out....

They included it as part of my "free monthly 3 cubic yards of dump material." And, ultra easy to trash! I just pull in where they want me to, loop the rope over the fellas bucket hook that I wrapped around the transom, pull ahead. Just a few seconds and she's off the trailer and a gonner:thumb:

I only caught a glimpse at the scale as I pulled across. I wasn't really paying attention but I think I saw it jump over 3000# from just my truck weight. That's a heckava lot of wet foam.

dozerII

Admiral

That there would have cost me over $400. bucks to get rid of up here!!!!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Blah,....

Some gas and a match and it gets buried in the back,...............lol

barato2

Commander

"Not In My Backyard", por favor........:)

i can just see Jas' poor wife and kids watching him torch the glasser as he cackles maniacally and they wonder if it's going to turn into The Shining....

chriscraft254

Commander

What a waste of a nice hull. Somebody would have taken that off your hands with a simple free add on cl. Sad thing is that little glasser probably would have rode better than that 26 ft tin can you bought. ;)
I'm just doing my part to rid the world of nasty glassers....

ByeBye:joyous:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've taken a 19' a 24' a 25' and a 27' to the dump to be smashed by a dozer
Each one cost me around $40-45

barato2

Commander

What a waste of a nice hull. Somebody would have taken that off your hands with a simple free add on cl. Sad thing is that little glasser probably would have rode better than that 26 ft tin can you bought.

did you miss the part about no one being interested when he advertised it on CL? and, with all due respect, i note that you don't seem to have needed to redo the floors and stringers on your CC (PS: those of us with 40-50 yr old boats don't think of a 1990 as "old"...let's see how it looks in 2030 ;)) and thus may not be aware what "fun" it is. this is why boats like that donor are commonly available at throwaway prices. and i'll bet people who have restored one are not especially interested in diving into another.....the MBS is self limiting with old glassers. i'll give you that a 26' Grady or CC would ride better than the big Chief but you'll also buy 50% more fuel for that privilege.

chriscraft254

Commander

What a waste of a nice hull. Somebody would have taken that off your hands with a simple free add on cl. Sad thing is that little glasser probably would have rode better than that 26 ft tin can you bought.

did you miss the part about no one being interested when he advertised it on CL? and, with all due respect, i note that you don't seem to have needed to redo the floors and stringers on your CC (PS: those of us with 40-50 yr old boats don't think of a 1990 as "old"...let's see how it looks in 2030 ;)) and thus may not be aware what "fun" it is. this is why boats like that donor are commonly available at throwaway prices. and i'll bet people who have restored one are not especially interested in diving into another.....the MBS is self limiting with old glassers. i'll give you that a 26' Grady or CC would ride better than the big Chief but you'll also buy 50% more fuel for that privilege.

Actually your way off base, there are plenty of people who have restored glassers that love it and take on many more projects of the same. On top of that, I have restored many stringers and floors in my day and its fairly easy to do. I like working on glass a whole lot better than tin cans. Just my preference, just like I am assuming yours is tin cans. To each his own, but don't get your panties in a bunch if others don't like tin. I like the durability of tin but really don't like anything other than that about them.

Not sure how you figure the same size tinny with the same stuff built in it as the same size glasser is going to be more fuel efficient running the same motor. The weight difference isn't going to be that much different and the glasser will probably have a much more efficient hull.

As far as my boat, your right, I didn't have to replace my stringers or anything other than cosmetic because I choose a boat that wasn't in poor shape. If you think there is an age that determines rott, your wrong. I've seen 5 year old boats with plenty of rott, and have seen 50 year old boats with none. Just because you see a ton of glassers on iboats with rott, doesn't mean they are all that way. I will add, I have seen plenty of tinnys listed at bargain prices as well because there just like the glassers when not taken care of.

Sry jas, didn't mean to turn this crooked,lol Just seems like there are a lot of glasser haters hanging out. I personally love boats, I would have said the same thing about a tinny with a nice hull if it was being crushed. ;)

P.S My boat if owned by me still in 2030 will look just as good as it does now. :) :) :)

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, sorry CC, I tried, seriously I did. Had it been summer, it would have been gone pretty fast but with winter here, not so much.

By the way...

Trying to give away free boat on craigslist isn't as easy as you would think. First problem is dealing with the guys on craigslist, nuff said there. Second problem is how does that hull get from my property to the new owners property? That costs me time, effort and money (fuel) no matter how the logistics shake out. The dump is quick, painless, and super easy.

If somebody in my area wanted it, they would have taken it. Nobody wanted it, so it went away.

One thing I will agree with you on, that boat was pretty well "wasted" if you know what I mean. Stringers, foam, transom, carpet, seats, upholstery all needed to be done. Might as well update the electronics, gauges and other systems so long as we are building a whole boat ya know.

Bottom line, she couldn't stay here at my place any longer. So, that was that.

seems like there are a lot of glasser haters :) :) :)

Oh yah, you have me all wrong on that one! I do love my glassers!!!!

They are best with a side of gravy:becky:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First off Jas doesn't have to answer to anyone this is a free country last time I checked! Life is all about timing and I would have taken The SR if I wasn't in the middle of my little project. I don't have the room to have two projects. I also wanted to vouch for Jas when he tells you he tried to find a home he wasn't kidding. Jas offered me the boat for free delivered to my house. :peace:

By the way he loves Glassers just look at the Islander its full of wood and glass!!!

Personally I love the glasser, tiny banter and Jas is a Pro!!!:laugh:

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, now you can sell or use the trailer that it was on. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.