1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration...In Progress

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 Skeeter SS-1 Sport Fisherman Restoration....Need some advice

Looks good to me JD, and you're making some really good progress.;)

You can still beef up your stringers if you want, just set one piece in the groove and then laminate (glue and screw) another piece to one side or both sides.

I think the word Skeeter in your title is why a lot of folks ignore your thread, they're not much into bass boats around here... now if it was an open bow ski boat with an I/O or a Starcraft they'd be all over it.:rolleyes:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Had a day of poor me because i hadn't found an answer about the lathe boards across the bilge. Their purpose evades me and considering replace or no. new question reading here people say to raise the stringers off the hull some, but the stringers I removed were 1/4" to 1/2" into the hull in channels. What do you recommend shove them back into gaps as they were pr modify it some, I also have a Stringer idea, do not like trying to hit a half inch target so considering an I bean style
Stringer.JPG

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Just chiming in to say I look forward to an answer as well. My factory stringers are also 1/2" and have been pondering the same trouble.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I have no idea what the lath boards were for JD, but go ahead and put them back like they were... they were there for a reason.

As far as holding the stringers off the hull goes, you couldn't really tell if your stringers were held up or not because they were in the groove. Use some little spacers in the groove to hold your stringers up.

The I beam is a great design and will work well. I don't see why more people don't do this.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

So guess this is what my boat should look like when I am done...old brochure pic

SS-1Sport.jpg

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

JDA, I'm following your thread. About all I can offer is pretty much words of incouragement. I to, am working on an old basser, so your work will help me as well as others that are and will be working on one. There are not many bassers here on iboats. The few just seem to disappear. So keep up the great work sir. On behalf of both of us, jigngrub, Thank you for your support. Great progress JDA. Looks good so far. Bug

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So guess this is what my boat should look like when I am done...old brochure pic

SS-1Sport.jpg

That's one of the great things about redoing your own boat, you can make it look any way you want. You can make decks bigger or smaller, more storage room, and all kinds of stuff... and you get to make it any color you want!

What colors are you gonna go with JD?

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah I definitely am changing colors, just thought it was nifty old picture of the boat, not going to look exactly like that ...its so 80's lol

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like you're doing great! The building-up fun will start soon.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ok new update, LOTS of pictures, got a lot done today finished cleaning up all the dust, Removed Hull from trailer, Flipped and ready to work on paint prep. I am not going to gelcoat, so in order to prep for primer, how much gelcoat do i need to remove?? is it just a scuff job or a complete removal?

Heres a picture of the grinding finished, or at least ready for touch ups I find

IMG_2959.jpg

Also there are these stiffener ribs running the length of my hull they are not wood, but seem to be foam where i ground them down to repair it was foam core. Seemed like manufacturer did not worry about sealing them watertight as there are factory flaws in the glass that you can see the core

IMG_2960.jpg

The keel is pretty scuffed from beaching, I believe after I paint I am going to install a keel guard

IMG_2973.jpg

After cleaning my carport up I removed trailer and flipped hull

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

more photos

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Need some answers on the amount of gelcoat to remove for primer prep, as Id like to start today, thanks

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Wish I could help you more. I haven't done the outside of my boat. I would probably say that you should scuff up the whole thing and try to get the top layer roughed up for the paint. I wouldn't think you need to grind down to fresh glass. I re-gelcoated an area on the bottom of my hull (I ptached a hole) and it adhered just fine with only minimal grinding

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I'd say just scruff it up real good too JD, no shiny spots. Your gel coat looks like it's still pretty good except for being weathered and oxidized. What grit paper are you going to use? I wouldn't use anything less than 100, and 100 should make a pretty quick job of it. Then a 150, then 220...

You're making real good progress on that boat!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah, if i wanted to keep the same color scheme i believe i could shine it up really nice..., but I really want to make the boat mine so am going to paint it, good to know i dont have to remove it all, wasnt sure if primer stuck to it or not. I really appreciate your interest, you've been invaluable to me so far. Right now my big debate is whether to make the boat forest green with accent in tan, or tan with green accent. the green I am looking at is very dark so wondering if it will hold up, while a light color usually doesn't show wear as easily. Oh well i got time to ponder that still, so many choices lol

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd go tan with green trim, dark colors show more dirt/wear and get real hot in the summer.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I'd go tan with green trim, dark colors show more dirt/wear and get real hot in the summer.
X2. my burgundy tri hull could fry you alive in the heat

JDA1975

Lieutenant

ok so my livewell has 2 hoses, 1 intake 1 drain. Both exit just below the transom. there are 2 (well 3 but other is the bilge drain so not counting it) right on top of each other. One thru-hull fitting was not in place when i purchased boat so not sure what they had there. I circled a standard thru-hull fitting and they overlap. So my plan is to reglass that area, allowing me to fix a bunch of screw holes in the process and spread those 2 thru-hull ports farther apart. how deep should i "cup" that area and how wide past the holes should i extend the grindage/cup?

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

JDA1975

Lieutenant

anyone know of any bass boat restoration forums...since I have so much time to devote to my project I would like to find a place that has more interest in the poor mans boats, so I can get answers quicker. I figured being restoration was restoration, but lack of interest shows. Thanks to those who have shown an interest though I truly appreciate what you were able to answer

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

Judge,

Google bass boat central. They have a resto section with tons of info for us... but the fellers on here seem to be more knowledgable with the general info (glassing, painting, etc). You can do what I do and get the bass boat knowledge there and the rest from here. ;)