1982 MR 180

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
also note on the above pic the inlet for the livewell needs a correct repair - not sure how long duct tape will last...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
lost the cover on the trip home apparently. If anyone has one laying around...

1680776847975.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
in the interest of not making any new holes....

the only holes on this thing are these on the bow, plus another three which i will guess were for a fish finder. For the trolling motor ones I will use the same holes to mount a block of wood then bolt on the trolling motor mount I got for the one i'm moving from the transom to the bow. I'l thru bolt the mount prior to mounting the wood.

1680778093242.png

the mount I got

1680780562351.png

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
needs new bilge (found one in the garage), new dock lines (found a set in garage), kicker steering tie in to main (found one in garage) and new livewell lines replaced (might have something in the garage that works) and a few other things. After plugging up the couple rivet holes the first project is to sort thru the giant mess of wires in the back so I can access the bilge pump and replace.

Fun side note - in re-doing our master closet our shoe rack was a commercial grade rack on wheels. That is now in the garage and is being used to hold all my new and found boat parts. I'll not lose anything in the jungle again....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Starting to look at wiring. First up is this pair that lead from the trim hydraulics on the outside of the transom. The trim works fine and the second pic is where all the lines lead in the bilge area. Are these lines for a gauge? If there ever was one there is no hole at the helm for it.

1680796648807.png

1680796684654.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm in the bilge with the wiring. A crap top of wires go to the trim unit under there, and two of the wires have female ports that match but of course the colors do not match so not sure which would go to which. It's working so i'll prob leave well enough alone unless someone can identify use and make a case for using it. The only thing I can think of is that the 'trailer' part of the trim does do the norm so that may be it?

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this bad boy appears to be a transducer? Wire runs to the side where they're is enough wire to run to the bow along with the old black/red power lines that would have run the electric trolling motor. They are all looped up together. I'm adding mine so won't need this but I find it odd it was not attached to anything just laying in the bilge?

1680802685112.png

1680802710088.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
last one for the day, rain is setting in.

The two white modules with the red wires. The one on the right appears to be for the trolling motor wires to the bow. Had a few of those motors over the years on my small boats, just hooked directly to the battery which is how the current useable set up is - just a transom mount with clips for the battery. What would this module be for?

The one on the left is hooked into a gaggle of wires that meet under the transom and go to motor and to helm so assuming for ignigtion or something so will leave alone but still interested in knowing what it is.

1680804037284.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
beer holders in. only two as to limit passengers. no one wants to get in a boat with nowhere to put the beer.

they clamp to the rail so I can move one up front when fishing.

1680963136839.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the 12 gallon under the seat. about an inch clear on the opening and the L channel at the bottom keeps it in. currently a couple three inches clear on top i'm thinking if i raise the seat a few inches it will still be comfortable to sit on (I stand most times anyway) but that would allow be to put in a shelf for stuff or maybe between my legs a glove box or other storage. I'm big on storage and will be looking at ways to add storage in the nooks and crannies

not going to strap it down as I need to be able to pull out to fill but I will use those locations on the tank to devise a strap to grab when i need to pull it out.

1680966507132.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i'll keep the 6 gal so if I'm doing a multi day trip i can run forever. On our run the other day the boy ran at WOT about 75% of the time and we travelled about 30 miles on the tank so with me driving at a more moderate rpm range i should be able to add a good 30% to that distance if not more so thinking the 12 gal will get me 80 plus miles of running. Add the six gal and I'm a comfortable 100 miles. River current effect TBD.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
So lost the shifter cover on the trip home and apparently NLA however there is one that looks the same just with the control arm on the opposite side. Looks like i could just flip it over?

here is mine

1681210042702.png

And here is the one i can get

Think it would work?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well sh.....oot. Why oh why does merc have a diff fuel connector at the motor versus the tank.

smfh...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my center console is not centered. 17 3/4" to gunnel on port and 19" on right side. Not sure I can survive this....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Well sh.....oot. Why oh why does merc have a diff fuel connector at the motor versus the tank.

smfh...
It happens

my center console is not centered. 17 3/4" to gunnel on port and 19" on right side. Not sure I can survive this....
a 12-pack of liquid fishing enhancer and you dont care

could be to offset the weight of you standing there slightly to port if your batteries are on the aft starboard side.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
forgot before pic. All the wire was just jammed in and battery was loose on the deck. The wiring to the t/t has about an extra 12 feet. I guess when the rigged the boat they thought it might grow up to a 30 foot boat so they left it... I pulled it all out, doubled over on itself, light twist and about 10 zip ties then into a tight circle with more zips then attached to an eye bolt. That's on the right. Some spare wires to the helm on the left, same process.

Some aluminum L channel to hold the battery in place.

1681385018752.png