1982 MR 180

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
how important is it to ground the battery to the boat? Never have seen this before

1681385237572.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i hate electric tape

Swapped the bilge pump. The one I had was a 1" output for 1200 gph. Hose was 3/4" 800 gph on the one I grabbed at walmart. Was not wanting to try and run new hose.

1681385357162.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
bonding wires should be green. the tank should have bonding wires to the hull, the motor, etc should have bonding wires.
Of course on the green, going today to get some #8 for the trolling motor so will grab that as well. Tank is swapped to plastic? But never recall seeing grounded on portable tanks. Will have to look for the motor, i guess never saw on all my I/O's.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
apparently the mouse that took up residence in the bow compartment (in the life vest) also had a stockpile of seeds. Kinda interested to see what I brought back from MN...

1681385870384.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Bimini up and tested, replaced a couple straps and cleared wasp nests
Beer holders passed Beta test
Bow fishing seat needs new wood on the back
Need to move the boat a few inches on the trailer to get to the rivets that need attention
etc
Going to learn me up on new battery technology so I can come back here and ask yall about it

More puttering around on her today after i get more beer after my dentist appt. The chair of death awaits me.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok, looks like going with the 50 amp hour chins battery for trolling motor from amazon unless some tells me i'm an idiot for doing so. It fits under the bow where I want it, can add another if the one is not enough for a few hours fishing.

Since i'm not a pro fiher or am building off grid, any reason I should need something like this?

will eventually have on a solar charger but for now will get a basic 10 w plug in charger.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Ok big order placed and plans changed a bit on the way.

Ordered two of the 50 ah batteries for up fron t and a switch. I'm going to use hook them together and run all accessories, current and future, off that battery bank. Only thing that will use the starter battery is the outboard and the bilge pump. Thinking about a solar charger for that battery as well.

Adding a fuse panel as well so i dont have to do one on each line and a trolling motor breaker up front.

Some other goodies as well.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Well learned me something new today....

Got the replacement cover for the control box. Works with a slight modification however before i close back up thought I'd throw some white lithium on the plates under the cover. A couple hours later after doing other fun stuff thought I'd just kick it over.

Nothing.

played around with the control box for a bit then went to the motor with a pair of pliers and kicked just fine. So...... flopped down and looked under the helm and discovered a pair of wire running to the control box. My (correct) assumption is the neutral safety switch got coated in the lithium grease which as we all know is not conductive. well l really did not want to tear out the box and disassemble the thing to clean, if it was even possible.

Looked out on the internets and turns out lithium is a soap and grease mix of some magical sort so loaded up a spray bottle with Dawn and water and sprayed the s... Out of it and all good. Saved the day of mental health.

Got some fun stuff done will post pics later.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well sh.....oot. Why oh why does merc have a diff fuel connector at the motor versus the tank.

smfh...
So you don't hook it up backwards.
The primer bulb won't work if fuel hose is connected wrong.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
rednecked up the system to pull the new tank out from under the seat to refill.. The galvanized carriage bolts were used to twist the strapping tight.

1683109865653.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thought I ordered two tins, turns out I ordered two 5 packs. Will have these in the cabinet for a couple years.

1683109976527.png