1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: 1982 GW, 24' Project (UPDATED W/PICS)

Another week has slipped by with not much being done. Between rain, doctor appointments and baby sitting it has really cooked my goose on the project! Today I managed to do a little sanding on the cudy cabin and masking it off for the first coat of paint. Maybe today or tomorrow. I did get my "241 Weekender" side flags on order today for $40. This weekend is out because once again I'll be out of town. My "honey do list" has just gone into another realm of reality! I can only ignore it for sooooo loooooong! LoL Ron

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Ron, things do look a little slow, but know full well that occasionally life shows up and toys and projects take a back seat. If you have a chance to look at the new Florida Sportsman magazine, you should. Every month they have an article called "one man's dreamboat" and there is a 23 GW with twin 150's that looks really sweet. You gotta check it out..
So hope the next week goes better for you! Rick :)

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey Rick! Thanks for the heads up on the magazine article. I will definetly take a look. I guess I have a "thing" for Grady Whites now. Go figure! Thanks also for the motivational support. Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Made a little headway! My son painted the cudys outside, 1st coat, and gunwale 2nd coat today. My portly body just would'nt make all the contorsions to do it myself. Glad I'm not paying by the hour! For the cudy's second coat we're going to have to do a little more sanding because of a few runs. With so many angles and curves it was a little harder to paint. Going to a 2" roller for all the angles and tight places on the second coat. I took Rick's suggestion and bought the Florida Sportsman Magazine for the Grady White article. Have'nt had a change to read it yet but will try later tonight when I visit the porcelan alter. Be gone to the Palmetto Gun Show this weekend so nothing will get done till next week. Ron

LX Kid

Ensign

Today was once again a little bit more productive. After reading the article in Florida Sportsman's Magazine, about the guy's Grady White dream boat restoration, I got a little more motivated. My son put second coat on gunwale and cudy. (Of course I just watched and made a lot of suggestions on the how to's! LoL) It's "really" starting to look pretty nice now. Three major things still left to do: 1) Replace stearn drive lower seal and put foot back on, 2) Take fuel tanks out check them for any possible leaks, 3) Go thru all the wiring and replace as necessary Ron

S6001154.jpg

S6001156.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

It is really looking nice Ron. It's going to be a hot boat when you are finished.

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey Bill! Thanks and Power to the "Republic of Texas" and the "Republic of the U.S." Ron

jcsercsa

Captain

MAN OHH MAN LX Kid , she is really starting to shine !! keep up the great work !!! OHH wait tell your son great Job !!! hahaha put him to work !! hahahah John

LX Kid

Ensign

I'm in "s-l-o-o-o-o-w" "m-o-t-i-o-n" and can't seem to put myself in hi gear. So close to the finish line and the little "gotcha buggars" seem to be around every corner. Did get the bow rails re-installed and the alumium flush mount rod holders polished and ready to be put back on. Still have'nt been able to find multiple spade adapter connectors that will fit the smaller spades on my new fuse holders. The female spade connectors, which are already on my wires, won't fit the smaller males on the fuse holders. I also need the multiple adapters to enable two wires to be attached to the fuse holder. Probably going to have to buy new fuse holders again and eat the loss on the Radio Shack fuse holders I've already mounted. Guess I'll be making a trip downtown to Graybar. Installed new hull vents for the engine compartment and, after much sanding, put some more coats of teak oil on various teak wood parts. My two brothers are coming down, the first week of December, wanting to go fishing. The pan handle of Texas is a long way to travel just to go fishing from the local "bridges." LoL Ron

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi LX Kid I thought you were out fishing ??? lol Doesnt radio shack sell the smaller female spades !! i am petty sure they do !! walmart I think had them in a kit they sold .

hahahaha theres some good fishing under them bridges !! your such a good brother !!! hahahahaha John

LX Kid

Ensign

Hey John! I've been to two differant Radio Shack's are got the same response, "Don't have!" I also need the "two-on-one" adapter/connector types. You know, female on one end, goes on fuse holder, and two male on the other, which you would attach wires to. Sooooo that would be two differant spade connector/adapter sizes, which I don't think is available. Maybe just solder the adapters on the fuse holder and "problem solved." (For now!) Ron

(Update 11/2/2008)
Picture of new fuse holders that came in, from iBoats Marine Shop, which I have now replaced the "old wrong sized" fuse holder from Radio Shack.

Attachments

• S6001172.JPG
    S6001172.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 0

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there boat looking good, hey napa has those electrical conectors ask them for the wire and electrical catalog and look for it is a thin book.

zach103

Commander

i know how you feel with the slow motion deal. i havn't been able to work on the columbian for 2 weeks

jcsercsa

Captain

Hey John! I've been to two differant Radio Shack's are got the same response, "Don't have!" I also need the "two-on-one" adapter/connector types. You know, female on one end, goes on fuse holder, and two male on the other, which you would attach wires to. Sooooo that would be two differant spade connector/adapter sizes, which I don't think is available. Maybe just solder the adapters on the fuse holder and "problem solved." (For now!) Ron

OOOh ok thats not the ones i was thinking of . that skinks !! did you try a electrical store !! we got a few here I am sure that they could order them !!

And yea solder them in for now , that would work !! John

jcsercsa

Captain

hi there boat looking good, hey napa has those electrical conectors ask them for the wire and electrical catalog and look for it is a thin book.

OOOHHH YEA there yea good !! hahah John

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks guys! Just ordered new fuse holders and will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. They were $20 for eight of of them. Ron

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Way to go, Ron...don't mean to put the heat on ya, but ya know ya gotta get out and have a sea trial before the brothers show up...course, if they are here and anything goes down, you'll have a couple more hands on board to help with the rowing!!!! NOT!!!! :D

Glad you got the connectors..I have an electronics supply house in Clearwater that serviced the security trade and was about to get with them..just saw the post about ten minutes ago..

Keep on keeping on. Thought you would like that article in the 'Sportsman...take care..Rick

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Ron,

Let me know when you do the trials. I might sail with you with my 178. Great photo op there.

I went out this past Friday and was over at MacDill to visit with the wife (it is actually quicker to the base by boat than driving!). The bay was beautiful and the weather was perfect. MacDill has a great launch, and is within minutes of Picnic Island.

The GW is looking GREAT!

Mike​

LX Kid

Ensign

Thanks John and Mike! Looks like I'm still in "sloooow moooootion!" Got some important honey do's just gotta get done. Ron