1980 Starcraft SS160 Restoration

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
finished wiring.jpg
fuse block.jpg
clean aft.jpg

Just a couple small things to take care of now. I'm putting a cleat on each side of the gunwale near the windshield. Many of the launches around me have short docks that would be easier to tie one in the middle. It also allows me to use spring lines.

I need to attach some rod holders and put on the splash well cable boot.

But before all that, I need to put the lower unit back on since I replaced the impeller and changed the lower unit oil. Maybe I'll splash it this weekend?? I'd like to test out the new gauges and make sure they're calibrated and working correctly.

Attachments

• finiished dash.jpg
    finiished dash.jpg
    933.8 KB · Views: 5
  • interior lights.jpg
    interior lights.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 20
  • clean bow.jpg
    clean bow.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • new dash complete.jpg
    new dash complete.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 6
  • snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Brian,

Nice clean job on the wiring. The bus bar looks like what I am after. Do you have a manufacturer and model number for that? I would be curious to know how many devices you would be able to run off of that bus bar.

Cheers

FIGMO

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Your work looks great. Way to get something done in this terrible April weather we're having! I'll be looking for your splash pictures. Can you post some more details about wiring the dash? That's a new one for me that I will be tackling later this summer.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Looks great man. Glad the wiring went well for you first try. Great idea on replacing gauge bulbs with LEDs. I also really like the choice of the blue on the inside.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
this is awesome...nightfishing machine!
fetch

Right out of an episode of CSI ...or an episode of dateline where they investigate hotel room cleanliness :lol:
41PNXFxymVL.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man, that pot is nasty... :eek: but the boat looks super decked out in blue :thumb:

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got the boat out of the garage and fired it up on the muffs. It was great to hear that kitty purr. However, it wasn’t pumping water. :facepalm: I let it run about 30 secs thinking maybe it wasn't warm enough for the thermostat to open. But then I realized it should still be pumping water even if the thermostat isn't open.:facepalm: It was late and dark so I put it back in the garage.​​​​​​​ I felt the block and it was warm but I could still touch it. It took me an hour of pouting before I realized I didn’t put the woodruff key back in so the driveshaft was probably just spinning inside the impeller. I doubt the impeller is damaged since the driveshaft wasn't spinning it due to the lack of the woodruff key. Still, I hope I didn't ruin the motor.:frusty::frusty::frusty:

classiccat

So I got the boat out of the garage and fired it up on the muffs. It was great to hear that kitty purr. However, it wasn’t pumping water. :facepalm: I let it run about 30 secs thinking maybe it wasn't warm enough for the thermostat to open. But then I realized it should still be pumping water even if the thermostat isn't open.:facepalm: It was late and dark so I put it back in the garage. I felt the block and it was warm but I could still touch it. It took me an hour of pouting before I realized I didn’t put the woodruff key back in so the driveshaft was probably just spinning inside the impeller. I doubt the impeller is damaged since the driveshaft wasn't spinning it due to the lack of the woodruff key. Still, I hope I didn't ruin the motor.:frusty::frusty::frusty:

At least you caught it on your driveway and not on the water! ...and the silver lining is that now you know the fuel / ignition systems are working. :lol:

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
:censored:!!! What classicat said. Keep eBay in mind if you end up having to replace parts... Good Luck!

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
30 sec, that's not a big deal with no load at an idle.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Should be fine. No big issues probably. Fix the woodruff key and compression test in driveway if you think anything major might be happening.

It is a nice sound after a long winter huh? I hope to hear it more frequently this year!

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
classiccat The ignition does work great. The new points really made a difference.Thanks guys. I think I feel a little better about it. I’ll check it out next week when it warms up a bit.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it makes you feel any better, after I started my motor for the first time I also noticed no pee stream. Disassembed and reassembed the lower unit and water pump, couldn't find the problem. Turned out the little nozzle where the water exits the motor was plugged up. So it was pumping just fine, just no stream. I felt pretty dumb wasting all that time.

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ugh. I had two small boys and a wife with the stomach flu for since Thursday. Trying to take care of all three cleaning carpets, toilets, clothes, sheets, diapers, and dealing with constantly miserable kids, I now have an even greater love and respect for my wife!! I don't know about you guys, but I don't know what I would do without my wife. I'm glad to report that the family is finally getting back to normal.

I had some time last night to pull the boat out of the garage. I was able to quickly and easily remove the lower unit and put in the stupid little $8 woodruff key the size of a booger that caused me so much pain last week. But once it was in, the motor fired right up and the most wonderful purr. And this time, it was actually pumping water. :thumb:

I'm hoping I can splash it today or tomorrow while the weather is nice and zip around the lake a few times! :happy:

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
We had that bug rip through my fam 3 weeks ago. Horrible!
Bingo, not sure where i'd be without the admiral?
Have fun on your splash!

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, she's splashed!! It started right up and ran wonderfully. Man, was it great to get out on the water again. She cruises too about 35 mph! With the new dash setup, it was nice to see the gauges working, the steering was comfortable (even though I offset the steering column about 3 inches to the gunwale. And the neighbors now know that my horn works... :lol:

I wasn't able to get the motor up to temperature. The water spitting out the back was bathwater ~100 degrees or so. I was running her WOT for about 10 mins. Even though the lake water temp was 41 degrees, I would have thought that the thermostat would have allowed the engine to get up to 160 degrees before opening. Maybe I need to replace the thermostat?

splash.jpg

classiccat

Congrats!

That old Dorm Fridge was haulin'!

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations! If your day in Michigan was anything like it was in Ohio, it was a great day for it. :joyous: