1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

I liked the 1/4" Starboard I used for mine. Super easy to work with. You can get white or gray I believe.

BonairII

Commander

JMO, but I think you'll tire of a tinted(esp a color other than "smoke") windshield in a hurry. In low light situations, the tinted windshield will further reduce visibility.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for chippin in fellas:)

K, while the PL is curing, quick update.

To get that transom in I decided to just clip the alum away that will later be hidden by the caps, before...
P1080725.jpg

After, (drilled out those rivets too)...
P1080726.jpg

Then I dropped in my transom for a rough fit, whaaaaaat? Looks like this transom was supposed to be 2" vs. the standard 1.5"...
P1080734.jpg

Back to the lumber yard for another sheet of ply. Rats, I was all set to get that transom all trimmed up and sealed up with epoxy. I can't take too many set backs, my time won't allow for it.:redface:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So, fuel tank to fish box. Check it out. Marked my cut lines...
P1080710.jpg

And hat removal. I used the grinder with a thin cutting wheel for the straightaways and a jig saw for the corner/radius...
P1080724.jpg

Then I drilled out for the drain line...
P1080727.jpg

After that I taped up a pair of plyers and just kinda gently bent down all around the cut out so the fitting will install lower and the fish box will completely drain...
P1080728.jpg

I pitched that black foam ring in favor of 5200 schmeered all over the place. Fitting installed...
P1080729.jpg

Bottom side all gooped up...
P1080730.jpg

This should make for a great fish box!

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For the dash material i just went with 1/4 plexiglass and painted the backside. It really gives it depth when ya look at it.
Completed Dashes.jpgDriver dash tach and throttle.jpg Passenger Dash.jpg
Then put a coat of plastidip (that rubberized spray junk; which i think works great for odds and ends) on the painted side to protect the paint from scratching. As for gauges i went with Arctic white tach
boat-analog-tachometer-215106.jpgPretty sure EZ has the same one... it glows red FYI

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im liking the fish box alot! I had conteplated doing one of my seat/storage areas that way, but decided to make it big enough to just store a 55qt cooler in it! We put our fish on ice when we catch them down south here;):D

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, and where i come from (bottom side pic) the bigger the glob, the better the job!:cool:

Decker83

Commander

You did an excellent job cutting the tank. I would have thought you may have use another tool to do the job after your accident with your hand.
All of your work looks great. Here's to you making your deadline.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great idea on the fish box ...... good job!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For the dash material i just went with 1/4 plexiglass and painted the backside. It really gives it depth when ya look at it

Your dash really matches your boat nicely piece. Looks cool with that "depth" sort of feel eh:)

Jas, the fishbox idea is a good one.

Im liking the fish box alot! I had conteplated doing one of my seat/storage areas that way, but decided to make it big enough to just store a 55qt cooler in it! We put our fish on ice when we catch them down south here

You did an excellent job cutting the tank. I would have thought you may have use another tool to do the job after your accident with your hand.
All of your work looks great. Here's to you making your deadline.

Great idea on the fish box ...... good job!

Thanks fellas! Yah, I gave a half hearted attempt selling it on craigslist and it didn't go, so, I think this will be a great use for it!:D

Yah Decker, it seems when I run that grinder now something just feels a little different these days. I move a little slower, hold on a little tighter, watch the blade a little closer...:) Side note, I've been trying to gently stretch out that tendon and I am getting closer to making a complete fist with that pinky. So that's good;)

K, goals for today...

- Grab another sheet of ply and laminate the transom to full 2"

- Cut out and epoxy a pair of hatch deck pieces (each side of the fuel tank)

- Get moving on the bow deck cut out

- Install "nailers" to further support the bow deck

- "Think" about how I'd like to rebuild this splaswell

- I should probably order those windshields pretty quick here too, hmmm...

I'll post up some shots of the foamapalooza bow structure later;)

Have a great Friday guys!:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, pulled the clamps off and here's what my foam core bulkheads/structure looks like...
P1080736.jpg

P1080735.jpg

You can see on each side of the fish box, really had no value for a hatch so I just tossed in a bunch of small scrap chunks of foam.

You can also see that I stacked up foam around the perimeter of the fuel tank so the sides can help take the load. I left that center section open as I don't want any weight flexing it. Also, double up the deck right there to receive a pedestal base at some point if I want one.

Here's the fish box all laminated in place...
P1080741.jpg

The foam gives it solid structure and will certainly keep the ice cold! I'll come back later and install a gasket all the way around to keep things cool and prevent lopping an arm off reaching in for a soda! I'll also hit all the topside seams with 5200.

You can see the drain line there at the bottom left. I'm pumped there is already a factory drain hole in the hull right there, cool! Since it's going to be inside the hatch there (where gear will be thrown in) I used super heavy duty flexible schedule 40, strong!

I also got these 1.5" "nailers" installed with alum angle and stainless screws, PL on all the mating surfaces...
P1080739.jpg

P1080740.jpg

Those make the bulkheads stronger yet and will give extra support for the deck.

So far so good!:D

dozerII

Admiral

Jason are you building a fishing boat or a bomb shelter!!!;) Looking real good, lots of planning going on inside that head of yours.
Glen

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your dash really matches your boat nicely piece. Looks cool with that "depth" sort of feel eh
smile.gif

Yah Decker, it seems when I run that grinder now something just feels a little different these days. I move a little slower, hold on a little tighter, watch the blade a little closer...:) Side note, I've been trying to gently stretch out that tendon and I am getting closer to making a complete fist with that pinky. So that's good;)

Thanks Jas! The plexi has a backing of some 1/2" ply for strength BTW.... and on a side note I am a Physical Therapist and work with some great hand therapist OTs. Not sure if you're doing any formal rehab therapy but I'd be happy to find some tendon glide handouts and other recommended exercises for ya if needed. Just shoot me a PM... also a paraffin wax bath would be a great investment for that hand... 7 slow dips and then cover with a plastic bag and wrap in a tower and leave it for 15-20 minutes... great deep heat to help with stretching

bear_69cuda

Commander

Wow brutha,

You don't mess around... Boat is looking awesome! I do like the jets console and wheel!

peace dood!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason are you building a fishing boat or a bomb shelter!!!;)

Well heck Glen, if nuclear fallout hits MI I still want my walleye slabs and KooAid to be frosty cold;)

Not sure if you're doing any formal rehab therapy

Does pumping truck loads of PL adhesive through my contractor size calk gun count?

7 slow dips and then cover with a plastic bag and wrap in a tower and leave it for 15-20 minutes...

Hmmm, I've been washing my hands a whole bunch with mineral spirits lately, that's gotta be about the same thing eh??:confused:

Wow brutha,

You don't mess around... Boat is looking awesome! I do like the jets console and wheel!

peace dood!

Thanks man, I gotta keep on it - I see I'm down to only 3 weeks till Sea Trial:eek: Man I got a lot to do:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, go some work done on the bow deck.

To scribe it I just laid it on the boat and just traced the starboard gunwale...
P1080721.jpg

Then I shifted it over to the width I needed and traced the port side...
P1080722.jpg

Worked pretty good...
P1080723.jpg

Angled the jigsaw just a bit for a better fit on the hull...
P1080731.jpg

Dry fit: PERFECT! First shot too, like it!
P1080737.jpg

Then I cut the second piece and dry fit...
P1080738.jpg

Not bad, little sanding to get just the right shape.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really wanted to make this one solid piece so for the bottom side I Gorilla Glued these alum chunks up...
P1080742.jpg

Those were actually cut off the fuel tank turned fish box;)

On the top side I shaped a pair of 3/4" ply pieces and laminated...
P1080744.jpg

I know these don't make any sense right now and look to be a borderline tripping hazard right now but hold tight, they will make total sense when I install this deck;):)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh hey, I scored a set of controls too! I really needed to upgrade what I had now that I am swapping in T&T to the Evinrude.
P1080745.jpg

Big thanks to Bob427! He noticed I was needing a set and hooked me up, thanks man!:D

I'll referb these and they should be great;)

Status
Not open for further replies.