1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Working with foam is NOT DORKY! Your sub-deck foam is not too far off from what I did with my Lowe (see sig), except I put in a sheet aluminum deck and the foam provided all the support.

Enjoying your resto!

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, first couple steps for the transom.

Got the two halves of Arauco 3/4" ready, all slathered up with TightBond III...

Quick ? on the transom slabs. Did you trowel the glue evenly after pouring it on or let the weight distribution do the work?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice work there, looks to be pretty solid from here.:)

I like the green windshield, def a unique feature to have on the rig.

Thanks man, yah this set up should be strong and beefy.

Yah, I kinda think the green windshield would be cool with a black hull. We'll see how that shakes out.

Nice work... You are moving right along! I like the bulkheads with the foam cores - pretty crafty thinking.

Vacation is next month! Keep your foot on the gas.

Yah bro, gotta keep pace here. My room to slack is about nil!

Working with foam is NOT DORKY! Your sub-deck foam is not too far off from what I did with my Lowe (see sig), except I put in a sheet aluminum deck and the foam provided all the support.

Enjoying your resto!

Thanks man! Yah more building with foam today. I'd like to try and wrap up all this bow deck structure tomorrow hopefully.

Quick ? on the transom slabs. Did you trowel the glue evenly after pouring it on or let the weight distribution do the work?

Yup, spread it all out before I mated the two halves.

Have a good one guys!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yah, I kinda think the green windshield would be cool with a black hull. We'll see how that shakes out.

There is an option for you both to get the hull color you want:

Port blue (or the side of the boat that when stored, faces where she parks her car.... Starboard black (along the helm side in case you change it up)

Or you could paint it all the black you want, then overlay it with this paint in blue.

When it washes off, you can tell her it must not have cured properly in the rush to splash:eek: Or you tried to save some money & not holding up is why you don't usually buy low cost paint. Good thing you went w/ the 'good' black primer.....

If the black doesn't grow on her, the Nymph can go blue over the winter when you're painting the Islander blue.

^^^Winter 2012-2013 Right?:D

Actually the right shade of blue along the hull would look good w/ black & silver accents & Starcraft hull graphic:)

Bulkheads @tank all look good. Well done! Own PL stock? If not maybe you should.

64osby

Admiral

Jas, good work. I'm waiting for your next boat project, the one rebuilt with foam only, no alum or wood.:p

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jas, good work. I'm waiting for your next boat project, the one rebuilt with foam only, no alum or wood.:p

No AL or wood? That means only steel, plastic or...... I'm not gonna say it. :facepalm:

It's all looking good, Jas. Don't fret over the windshield. You need a punch list to finish after the splash.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

JB - Yah, I go through PL like water round here:rolleyes:

64, GA - A little while back I was eyeballin a all steel boat, it was cool:cool: Well, actually it was a wreck, but it had potential to be cool.

Roger - dood you are awesome, thanks for the offer! Yah, that windshield has a bit too much angle to it. I do believe it belongs on a nice shiny glitter boat ya know. Shoot the price is right though!

It looks like Mary down in Detroit has the one I need, though she wants some major coin for it...
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/3073595397.html

Here's what it would look like, more of an upright windshield ya know...
http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/lund_2001_1700_fisherman_9903121.jpg

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Roger - dood you are awesome, thanks for the offer! Yah, that windshield has a bit too much angle to it. I do believe it belongs on a nice shiny glitter boat ya know. Shoot the price is right though!

So what ya tryin to say about angled windshields and a little glitter in ur boat?! :mad:

photo.jpg 6b53_1.JPG

Just messing Jas! :D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Foam is cool, and wow............ nice work :)

dozerII

Admiral

That's a real good idea using the foam sandwich for strength, not only is it strong and light is adds flotation. Great job Jason.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So what ya tryin to say about angled windshields and a little glitter in ur boat?! :mad:
Just messing Jas! :D

Nobody pulls off glitter like you do broham;)

Foam is cool, and wow............ nice work :)

That's a real good idea using the foam sandwich for strength, not only is it strong and light is adds flotation. Great job Jason.
Glen

Thanks fellas, yah the foam core stuff is great for building. Strong, solid, light weight, and give me flotation, like it! Added benefit: when I'm scribing stuff to fit in the hull it's way easier to scribe and cut the foam first then cut the plywood skin to match it. I'm finding I can do a little better job kinda using that method:)

OK, well, I was supposed to have all that bow structure in and done today. Well, I forgot to include sanding and epoxy work in that time frame, rats. So, till tomorrow....

Cheers guys!

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your still contemplating the green windshield, I can dig this tint
images

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

BD - Yah, I kinda think that green tint looks cool:cool:

K, bow structure is all in place and the PL is in cure mode. I'll snap a few photos once I pull the clamps off, purdy happy with how it's going!

I've been doing some shopping. Whatcha think for gauges:

75830.jpg

Or...

far-33104.jpg

Then switches:

m-628_1.jpg

Or...

90082.jpg

Or maybe...

29774.gif

Just thinking out loud here. I spose my decision reall depends on what I use for dash material, eh.

InMotion

Commander

Hey Jason,

I have the faria teach and speedo and gotta admit they are super easy to read... but they are for a certain look. So ya, depending on what u use for the dash I would agree will play a role in what gauges will suit best!

Nice to see you're rollin' along man!

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd wait till you decide on dash finish for sure. I have a Faria 4 piece set also and like them. Got a deal on Ebay for $121 shipped.

You are a machine!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well shoot fellas! What the heck should I do for the dash??

I really liked the alum I used on the Jet, that was cool, hmmmmmmm. I think I have a scrap piece big enough.

P1070726.jpg

Fir?

P1060300-1.jpg

Not so sure natural wood should go on this boat.

Well, unless it's a SN with a BLUE hull, then I could go with a little wood;)

BLACKhull would rather have the alum I think:)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree if you go with a black hull a silver dash would match better with black trimmed gauges and black switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.