1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Mornin!

So yesterday I hooked up the boat to various lifting contraptions...
P1080838.jpg

P1080839.jpg

My intention was to flip the girl so started out...
P1080840.jpg

I got about here...
P1080842.jpg

...and couldn't seem to get the weight to shift comfortably. She just didn't seem to want to get turtled and I kinda saw bad stuff about to happen.

So instead, I just picked her up nice and high...
P1080844.jpg

That works for me. Plus now I don't have to have a whole crew help me flip it back once it's painted;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Then I started in on some hull prep. First up was getting rid of the decals and MC Numbers...
P1080845.jpg

P1080846.jpg

They didn't put up too much of a fight, just took a while to get it nice and clean...
P1080848.jpg

Tools of choice...
P1080847.jpg

After that I just spent the rest of the day cleaning up the garage, it was a wreck!

Then, this morning, I sanded down the hull. Started with 120 and ended with two full passes with a red metal sanding sponge. I am super amped the hull paint is in such good condition, one work session and she's ready!!!!:D

I didn't bother with a photo, same as it was before, just dull now.

From here, few good wash downs, tape, etch, prime paint. Maybe have that done in the next couple of days?

Have an awesome Sunday guys!:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You're not kidding. The hull paint looks pretty good, Jason. Don't post any more SN flip attempt pics. Otherwise some wag will make a Sea Nymph version of the Islander flip attempt. :eek: I like her hanging, looks like real good access to the bottom. Paint should be a snap.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking good from here:)

Seeing how nice the Jet looked with black/white/bare metal that's an easy sell for this one too.:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice levitation there, matey...looks like the "Flying Dutchman"...you might even say your flyin now...:facepalm:

Super good news on the relative ease of paint prep...:D

sprintst

Commander

Slick setup with the anti-gravitational discs. You managed to get that thing up there. I did my bottom painting the same but different. Layed on my back and painted while the boat was lifted from a forklift. Your setup looks much nicer :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You're not kidding. The hull paint looks pretty good, Jason. Don't post any more SN flip attempt pics. Otherwise some wag will make a Sea Nymph version of the Islander flip attempt. I like her hanging, looks like real good access to the bottom. Paint should be a snap.

Yah buddy, I am so thankful the original paint is in such good condition. Just a few scratches here and there, hardly nothing;)

Usually I'm too hard headed and am surprised that I backed off of the flip on this boat. Glad I did! My little tractor seat on rollers in the photo up there was juuuuuust right for rolling along under the hull and sanding.

Looking good from here

Seeing how nice the Jet looked with black/white/bare metal that's an easy sell for this one too.

Maybe if I weren't so lame I could manage something a little different?:rolleyes:

Oh well, I'm still considering those green windshields:)

Super good news on the relative ease of paint prep...

As I was going along I was thinking about how long it took me on the Islander, that hull is huge!!! I was also thinking about the Jet, all that stripping then hand sanding to get it the brushed look, took forever!

This was easy!;)

is the hull white or creme color?

Yah, it's not so much white. More of an off white or cream kinda.

Your setup looks much nicer :)

Thanks sprint! Yah, that big LVL up there has made many jobs a whole lot easier for me!:)

64osby

Admiral

Glad to here the paint prep is quick and easy. Real nice fake flip. Wouldn't want to see another islander style stop motion vid attributed to you.

Just wanted to let you know I did install the Xtreme steering today. No test run yet though.

The other part of the race has come to a screaming halt. Carb rebuild or replacement is now required on my saw. But a used Stihl 041 will be picked up next Thursday. Was able to build the frame for one of the new wood sheds yesterday. 12 x 9 welded metal frame. I will build 2 or 3 of these for the 18 trees.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, my system isn't quite to the "short list" yet. Not too far along though;)

The 041 is a nice saw. I've owned a bunch, 066, 044, 046, 460, 036, 026, 290, 015. Now I own just one, 360, excellent all around firewood saw:)

I've kinda been dragging my feet on cutting (cuz it's so stinking hot) and Consumers will be coming through here soon, couple hundred trees will come down so I'll take advantage of that.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Yah, my system isn't quite to the "short list" yet. Not too far along though;)

The 041 is a nice saw. I've owned a bunch, 066, 044, 046, 460, 036, 290, 015. Now I own just one, 360, excellent all around firewood saw:)

I've kinda been dragging my feet on cutting (cuz it's so stinking hot) and Consumers will be coming through here soon, couple hundred trees will come down so I'll take advantage of that.

campers???? excellent side income, well done Jason, so that is how you get a real budget over there :D

64osby

Admiral

The heat is killing me too, cut and split late at night when I can. The neighbors must love me cutting or splitting at 9 - 9:30. Glad your not one of them I think your sleeping then.

Spending 4 hours in the boat trading out a steering system in 90+ is no dream either. Thankfully the bimini was deployed.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Since your working on paint prep, these might fit with the 'new & Jas-improved' SN

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

so that is how you get a real budget over there

Bah, selling wood is about like selling rebuilt alum boats. A whole lot of blood/sweat/tears, very little payoff.

I think your sleeping then.

If I can help it, youbettcha!;)

these might fit with the 'new & Jas-improved' SN

Yah, I've been eyeballin those, they are nice! But, I'm trying to figure out if those are more of a 70's look vs. something later ya know?

K, this morning I ran one more sanding pass over the hull and then gave her a warm bath...
IMAG0061.jpg

As I was scrubbing her down she was talking to me - about paint color actually.

She's ok with the BLACK but she was throwing out all WHITE too. She was kinda talking up that classic look of the white on white.

Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Does your boat talk to you?:confused:

Mine do. Not very much, real quiet too. But they do:D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

white on white is sexy as He double hockey sticks, but remember White is a B**** to keep clean, although the boat should be cooler, with a reflective paint...........

my next boat will be a powder blue color, light but also a PITA to keep clean ?????

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just popped in to say...
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Gibbles

Commander

Good info on the Rivet gun, I might give one a try.

For my Jet I used a little hand rivet gun that I bought back when I was in JR high

For the Nova/Chief, I bought a long handle gun from HF, it works well and easy to pop those long rivets, but I still like the little one for smaller cramped areas.

And I have been thinking about how to get my garage ceiling a bit more support, I like what you did there.

Did you have to add any braces to the other side of the ceiling?

I'm wanting to get it strong enough to lift the Chief off of the trailer(gutted), I was thinking about running 2x4's on the drywall side of the ceiling, then brackets or 3ft(+/-) 2x4s to brace the areas that look like it might need it on the attic side...

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

SMG - Open up a shop? Ugh. Waaaaayyyyy too much work. I'll just go about building boats for family fun:)

JB- Say wha? The full thickness of the transom is just a hair short of 2 1/2" at this point, so, I'll just need the correct length 1/2" bolts to mount the engine. I think that's what you are atalkin bout?

Hey guys, NEW TOOL!!!!!!

IMAG0059.jpg

I was just using this for the first time, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Check it out, if you are rebuilding an alum boat go out and buy one now!!! Do not punch another rivet by hand!!!!

Waaaayyyyyyy worth it:D

I'll see if I can make a quick video soon here...

Glad you took my advice! Now you too can save yourself from carpal arm syndrome

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

remember, reeeevet the boat, NOT for use on humans :)

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

With as good as that paint looks no thoughts of just buffing it out? After all you're just gonna scratch on your seatrial next week.

Having yet to roll or paint a boat myself, I ask on these smaller boats you find a prefferred method (rolling vs. working under) for getting the paint done? Maybe I need to wait until you're done with this one for an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.