1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Looks good man.. You should open your own shop on the side retro-fitting boats... toss in some colorful language or some other characters into the mix.. call the discovery channel.... You might just make it further than Iboat forums! :) hehehe skew!!! When is this one up for sale! ? sorry.. low blow.

I've never painted a boat but I've painted several tractors with a couple of Harbor Frieght gravity/hplv guns ( one for primer and one for color) Just make sure you thin both and add hardener correctly to the color side... They are good from far....... but I'm pretty particular about stuff and never painted with a gun either.. But boy... it was pretty nice I thought myself for a backyard job.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks,....I'll be here all weekend,...............Don't forget to try the veil!!!

Is someone getting married? We all know you're in love w/ tillers Teamster, but a wedding really"

If it's 1 of them sultry 7 veal dances, I might be in, otherwise, nope.:eek:

Unfortunately, the sun & the humidity were more then a good chuckle & thoughts about Jas in a glitter boat would sustain......

On to important matters: Ya checked transom thickness & motor mounts prior to opting to add 1/4" plate to a 2" transom, correct? It kind of looks like its still a 1.5" transom in the transom plate pix..............

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

SMG - Open up a shop? Ugh. Waaaaayyyyy too much work. I'll just go about building boats for family fun:)

JB- Say wha? The full thickness of the transom is just a hair short of 2 1/2" at this point, so, I'll just need the correct length 1/2" bolts to mount the engine. I think that's what you are atalkin bout?

Hey guys, NEW TOOL!!!!!!

IMAG0059.jpg

I was just using this for the first time, TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Check it out, if you are rebuilding an alum boat go out and buy one now!!! Do not punch another rivet by hand!!!!

Waaaayyyyyyy worth it:D

I'll see if I can make a quick video soon here...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Black and white, you know you want to just give in and go with it. Those riveters are awesome, spent many an hour using one back when I helped my uncle build racecars. Almost a much fun as an air nailer.

jbcurt00

Staff member

JB- Say wha? The full thickness of the transom is just a hair short of 2 1/2" at this point, so, I'll just need the correct length 1/2" bolts to mount the engine. I think that's what you are atalkin bout?

No, keep forgetting the Johnsons have those funny little brackets down either side, and only little tab ears that just barely grab the transom's top lip, instead of a transom 'clamp' like a Merc. You may not have had much wiggle room for getting a Merc installed w/ a 2.5" transom.....

Congrats on the new rivet gun. I wondered if that gun would have helped whoever tried to use riv-nuts on the boat ribs when installing his deck. Can't remember who that was....... But seems to have gotten the floor down, 1 way or the other.............

Now you'll start looking for stuff to punch rivets through all over the house & garage:facepalm: Heads up, the Admiral won't be nearly enamored with it as you are, but the boys will LOVE it!

All looks great so far. When are they sending the steering system?

BTW July is only 37.5 hrs away:eek:

Gibbles

Commander

SMG - Open up a shop? Ugh. Waaaaayyyyy too much work. I'll just go about building boats for family fun:)

Hey guys, NEW TOOL!!!!!!

IMAG0059.jpg

Check it out, if you are rebuilding an alum boat go out and buy one now!!! Do not punch another rivet by hand!!!!

Oooo

Need a lil mini review of that tool.

I have been eyeballing that sucker over at HF :D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys, NEW TOOL!!!!!!

IMAG0059.jpg

Hope it works better than the one I got.....

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whoa! Chop Chop! :cool:

Yea, better stop dragging your feet!:D Its been awhile since ive had a chance to check out your thread and all i can say is wow, you are really moving! I was thinking about one of those air rivot guns yesterday afternoon while i was sweating profusely while fighting my HF hand rivoter!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, mine didn't work worth a crap, the stems kept getting jammed. They wouldn't just fall out. It required disassembly after every 2-3 rivets to get the stems out......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, mine didn't work worth a crap, the stems kept getting jammed. They wouldn't just fall out. It required disassembly after every 2-3 rivets to get the stems out......

My friend's did the same thing.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Black and white, you know you want to just give in and go with it. .

Yah, that's prolly what it'll be:)

No, keep forgetting the Johnsons have those funny little brackets down either side, and only little tab ears that just barely grab the transom's top lip, instead of a transom 'clamp' like a Merc. You may not have had much wiggle room for getting a Merc installed w/ a 2.5" transom.....

Yah, looks like the "ears" (or whatever the correct terminology is) are at about 3" there.

Whoa! Chop Chop! :cool:

Well my friend, I'm still going to shoot for a Sea Trial the week of the 8th. I'll do what I can:)

I've only used it a few minutes and I've almost been able to justify the investment already. Man do I ever wish I had this thin when I was working on the Jet, sooooooooo many rivets on that boat!

I was thinking about one of those air rivot guns yesterday afternoon while i was sweating profusely while fighting my HF hand rivoter!

I think I'm on my 6th hand riveter now? Burned up all the others, thankfully they have been even exchanges.

Yah, I have punched about 25 so far and I've had 2 stems jam up. Thankfully this one is a lot easier to take apart than the hand riveter I had. Every 2 or 3 rivets would be a royal pain!

Have a great weekend guys!:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

On the air riveter, I have a High end one for use in my collision work and can tell you that even they jam up once in a while...

I have taken to squirting a little oil where the stem enters and I keep a coat hanger handy to poke them out when they get stuck...

Sometimes I just use the stem of the next rivet to push out the stuck stem...

You can also pull the trigger while the stuck stem is in there, place the next rivets' stem into the nose piece, hold it firmly, release the the trigger, and that will usually push out the old stem...

Another thing to try is to keep the nose a little loose...sometimes the clamps inside that grab the stem, don't come forward enough to release the old stem...by loosening the nose a bit, you can usually give the little bit of extra clearance...

Worst case scenario, you can clip off one fourth of coil of the tension spring inside, at a time, to relieve some of its pressure...just remember, if you have to do this, there is no turning back...

And, finally...they tend to do this less and less the more they get used...

Oh yeah, and one other thing...I don't know about the HF model, but some rivet stems are fatter than the nose piece supplied, if you run into this situation, you can try a different sized nose piece from a hand riveter, if the threads are the same...

Hope this helps,
Later,GT

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good Jason. You are totally flying through this resto! I think I would vote for the darker blue, but black would look cool as well.

64osby

Admiral

gt100000's advice on the rivet gun is very good.

I have two quality guns that were used to put number tags on chairs. Two guns installed over 40,000 Aluminum rivets in less than one week once. Ran several hundred thousand rivets over the years. Guns still work great.

Sometimes it helps to pull the teeth out and clean them, light oil helps a lot too.

Jason, keep cranking, 7-X-12 splash very cool... go dog go...

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice work Jason. Keep pluggin along!

retics4me

Cadet

Oooo

I have been eyeballing that sucker over at HF :D

They are good guns . I recently used one to pull over 2000 1/4 structural rivets and never had a problem . Just get the warranty in case something does happen .

retics4me

Cadet

You need to adjust them and use the correct tip . They are not set up properly put of the box .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys, thanks for the advice on the rivet gun. I cranked through the rest of the box of 50 rivets this morning and it worked perfectly. Not a single jam, alllllll good!:D Man that thing makes this stuff so much easier!

Kroussin - Welcome aboard man and glad ya stopped by! I see you are eyeballin a Mirrocraft/Starcraft/Sylvan/SmokerCraft/Sea Nymph, HA! Hey, great boat no matter the decal on the side:)

K, last thing I needed to do was to deal with the hull sides. See I'm not a real big fan of these side rubrails...
P1080477.jpg

...so I took em off. But by doing so I need to handle two things. First, a bunch of rivet holes. Second, I feel like that rubrail adds some rigidity to the hull. So like the on Jet Star, I added a pair of 1" x 1" x 8' angle alum...
P1080836.jpg

P1080837.jpg

You'll notice I staggered the rivets, high/low. By doing that it really locks that angle to the hull vs. just going straight across. I know it's not that visually appealing but all painted up it'll blend right in to this riveted boat.

Also, the angle alum gives me something to attach stuff to like rod holders and structure type stuff.

Installing those takes some extra time/effort but I think it's worth it.:)

Up next, paint prep.......

Status
Not open for further replies.