1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

You know I'm getting whiplash from trying to keep up on which Jas thread to watch. Maybe we could get the Mods to just meld all of them together and call it Jas's Boat of the Week.

No?!?!? OK where did I put that neck brace?

Even better, we should ask the mods to create a forum named Jas's Boats.. that way we will have them all together!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey now, just hold the phone!

There are other guys that have a bunch of boats too ya know!

Glen, JBC, um gibbles has problems too. Glen has a lot of boats come on his property too. And oh ya, dozer, yup, he has mbs real bad too:p:D

Did I already mention JBC?

Oh ya, hey, Chief is looking for a third! ^^^^^ Yup he has major mbs!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Glen, JBC, um gibbles has problems too. Glen has a lot of boats come on his property too. And oh ya, dozer, yup, he has mbs real bad too:p:D

Guilty as charged! We just don't flip them for a profit quite as fast as you do, said forum would be like a elibrary of resources and ideas to those blessed (or cursed depending on your viewpoint) with mbs!

InMotion

Commander

:D

MBS is way,way cheaper then MWS --- multiple wife syndrome... so just call mbs a hobby and the wife will see mbs in a different light.

Jas - updates man... transom done yet?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ha! Transom? Negative....

But I did pull the Islander out and got her all tucked away for her summer slumber.

The Sea Nymph got backed into her new spot in the garage too.

Goal for tomorrow is to get all the rest of that foam picked out.

dozerII

Admiral

Now-now-now Jason, for the most part I have an affair with one till I'm, it, their done, then I move on to the next one. None of this quicky half finished stuff, the girls tend to get pissed when you do that!!:D:D

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the steering score man! The boat is going to be fantastic when you are done (oh, about middle of next week right?) :)

this should be a new record............ nice win Jason :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Allrighty, got the SN in the garage last night, wow tons of elbow room in there now!
P1080631.jpg

No that's not my scooter, it's my bros. I wish it were, it's super cool!

Got all the foam picked out this morning...
P1080627.jpg

...ran the shop vac for a quick clean out. This hull is diiiiirrrrrrty!

Screwdriver, pry bar, and sandwich grabbers, man what a pain...
P1080629.jpg

I thought I had just about all the foam out but I still somehow managed to nearly fill another trash barrel with all the little bits and pieces:rolleyes:

dozerII

Admiral

I hear you on that one, little bits everywhere, then when you pressure wash they come again. What do you use to clean the hull and get the residue from the foam off, my pressure washer left it on mine, kind of a yellow film.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What do you use to clean the hull and get the residue from the foam off, my pressure washer left it on mine, kind of a yellow film.
Glen

Actually, that's not washed at all up there ^^^. It's filthy, needs some serious scrubbing before I can Gluvit.

Yah, I noticed you had leftover foam sorta stuck to yur hull there. Mine actually broke free cleanly for the most part. I noticed almost like a super thin wax paper between the foam and the hull. Kinda like something was sprayed in the hull first then the expanding foam was poured.

The only spots it really stuck terribly was certain riveted areas.

Buckeyedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

for cleaning the bottom up, do you like to use a steel wire wheel , emery cloth,steel/synthetic wool or.......

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, most of it should come clean with a good old fashioned power wash.

K, goal for tomorrow, finish demo. I have about a thousand rivets and screws in those stringers to pull. I've got carpet adhesive that needs to come off the hull sides. I also need to dig all the expanding foam out of those limber holes. They are plugged 100%.

I am totally convinced that the engineers over at Sea Nymph had zero plans for drainage in this boat. This hull is great overall. I'll point out a few really cool things as I go along. But, I am totally dumbfounded as to what their plan was for any water going subdeck.:confused:

Anyhow, hope yall are having a great weekend:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

K, a.m. progress...

First major challenge, I ran out of coffee! Rather than drink my wife's flavored stuff (barf) I made the hike to town. I skipped McD's and Starbucks. In honor of my Kanuck brothers...
P1080640.jpg

Then got all these screws/rivets out of my stringers...
P1080642.jpg

Then I went after this bow structure. It was all installed before the bow deck so it was a BEAR to get out, really tough! I couldn't get any tools in there to get the screws/rivets out and could barely get my hands in there.
P1080648.jpg

Took me way longer than I had planned but it eventually saw things my way...
P1080649.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Glen, this is that stuff I was talking about...
P1080647.jpg

Really hard to see in the photo there, like a very fine tissue kinda. Almost like it was sprayed in prior to the foam pour, total guess though.

OK, quick good stuff, bad stuff about this boat.

Good, love those stringers, the structure in this boat is really bomber all around, like it a lot!

Bad, again the foam, it was actually poured right up against the transom so there was nowhere for the water to go. You can see the corrosion here. Most of it is no biggie, there are a few spots that are really bad (almost through) and will require some attention.
P1080643.jpg

They also riveted in this bracket (I can't see any purpose for it really) just ran the rivets right into the transom, aiding the rot process...
P1080645.jpg

You can see here this dirt stain on the hull. Kinda like the foam acted like a filter, sucking up the water and leaving the dirt behind...
P1080650.jpg

I really like this - they ran rubber gasket between all the mating seams before riveting...
P1080646.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure this alum is just a hair thicker gauge by comparison to my Starcraft hulls, which is cool.

Anyway, just some random thoughts/sightings/comparisons is all;)

Cheers!

InMotion

Commander

I tell you, Timmy's and boat buildin'... I'm all shivers! And to boot... a michiganite!! Nice. Honored man.... honored!

What a shame that the pour in foam causes such a mess and troubles. Good job on getting it almost done...

I think I'm missing the "Jason list of the many things that might/should/must/would like to get done". :)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

looking good, looking good.

okay, is it safe to take the neck brace off, now ?

dozerII

Admiral

Morning Jason, Timmies is a 3 hour round trip for me so I pass on that. The film you pointed out was in the SS as well but only certain areas, around the fuel tank and on the outside of the stringers. The foam that is left on the bottom of the hull is stuck like baby doodoo on a blanket, I'm thinking it is going to take a chemical og some kind to get it out. So Whay were you saying earlier about it taking you three weeks to get the foam out??? It is pretty tedious taking all the screws and rivets out. Mine has a wack of drywall screws in the stringers from the hack job they did replacing the center section of the floor.
Great progress Jason.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for stopping in fellas!

I did get a bunch more done today...

I ended up wrenching on the trailer. I got the bunks, keel rollers, winch post and hardware all adjusted from the glasser to now fit this SN. Lots of knuckle busten, leveling out and crawling around on the garage floor. Not very much fun but had to be done. I didn't even bother with photos.

OK, for IM and I...

Goal for tomorrow is to dig out those limber holes (since I didn't get to it today) and see what I can do about all that carpet adhesive on the hull. And whatever else I can do to get this hull cleaned out.

Cheers guys:D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Might maybe wd40 on the adhesive overnight might loosen it up???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I don't know what in the heck I did with my camera, so for the moment you guys are stuck with words. Sorry! I'll keep it quick.

I got all that carpet adhesive off - grinder with a wire wheel made that happen.

I learned something about my Sea Nymph too. What I was calling limber holes were really just small gaps between the rib and hull. As I dug the foam out, starting at the bow and working my aft, the ribs got tighter to the hull as it got more flat. So, basically, no limber hole drainage in this boat. What this means is that drainage will happen up and over the ribs. Not a huge deal. These ribs are actually crimped a little right at the center and it can't be more than an inch or so for the water to get up and over.

I did have to cut a little access hole in a few of the deck stringers so water could flow freely....
P1080629-1.jpg

Now, what this also means is I'll not be using expanding foam in this boat either. My idea entirely depended on good positive drainage under/through those limber holes. Since they don't exist in this boat I'll be going alternative flotation methods;):)

There may have been a work around or two but it really becomes more effort than what it's worth.

Very early this morning I took her over to the car wash and gave her a bath, she looks much better!:D

While both the boat and trailer are not even close to being finished they looked and pulled great behind the Yukon XL in the early morning light.

Have a good one guys!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.