1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild

Hey, I wanted to post up this shot of what this Sea Nymph looked like factory...

scan0008.jpg

She sure doesn't look like that anymore!

(Compliments of train, thanks buddy!)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

That is AWESOME!

I love the dude on the front - is he in a "snoopy rod only" fishing tournament?

Oh, and while I appreciate that plush vinyl and the chocolate earth tones were among the calling cards of the times, I like your version much better...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at the FF on the dash. About the size of a 9-10 inch screen today but looks like maybe only a 4 or 5 inch screen. State of the art way back when they painted boats ugly pea green.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I like your version much better...

Thanks man! It's cool that they talk about this boat being a Fish & Ski type rig in the literature there. I'm really trying hard to strike that balance between the two. The real test to see if I've been able to pull it off will come this summer. We'll see:nevreness:

Look at the FF on the dash. About the size of a 9-10 inch screen today but looks like maybe only a 4 or 5 inch screen. State of the art way back when they painted boats ugly pea green.

Cool thing is we can now take these ol dated tubs and make em new again eh:joyous:

What holds up that swing up back rest? I'm not seeing how it's supports a guy leaning back with just the hinge? What am I missing dude.?

****Magic. Obviously.*****:cool-new:

(actually, I have yet to install the "stopper" for that back rest, stay tuned...)

This morning I started in on the final stages, snap in carpet and the pedestal seats. It'll take me just a bit to get these jobs wrapped up - I'll post when I get there:eek:nthego:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snap in carpet is sweet. I love the look and functionality it provides, I saw someone use the kit on here but I can't remember where...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Snap in carpet is sweet. I love the look and functionality it provides, I saw someone use the kit on here but I can't remember where...

I made the first big chunk cut this morning and laid it down for a rough fit. I really think (hoping anyway) this will be a great addition:joyous:

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Looking forward to seeing how you do your snap in carpet! :D I will be following a long and probably copying at some poing ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That bench seat is killer. Once you have it done and the stops in place, take a video of it in action.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have followd your restos and cant recollect snap in carpeting previously...maybe that is my bad. So looking forward to your posts.

I am leaning toward, seal it with some epoxy, paint and then not sure if snap in carpet per your thinkin or perhaps some matting that can yank out easily for cleaning.

lsnt this vacation imminent (SP)?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Snap-in carpet I think will be a great idea.

One thing I don't like about how I did my jet was the carpet, when it gets wet, it holds the water against the floor and it's a pain to clean up.

Snap in carpet: remove, hang up, then hose down the boat and the carpet, allow to dry and reinstall as needed. :watermelon:
Should make those icecream and soda spills easy cleanup too!

dozerII

Admiral

It's all just talk till we see it Jason.:D Sounds like a good idea, how are you finishing the edges of the carpet?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looking forward to seeing how you do your snap in carpet! :D I will be following a long and probably copying at some poing ;

Cool man, I do think it'll work out, and for cheap too$$ :thumb:

That bench seat is killer. Once you have it done and the stops in place, take a video of it in action.

Will do man!:friendly_wink:

(good to have ya hanging around again buddy)

I have followd your restos and cant recollect snap in carpeting previously...maybe that is my bad. So looking forward to your posts.

Nope, this snap in route is entirely new to me - hope I can pull it off!

Snap-in carpet I think will be a great idea.

One thing I don't like about how I did my jet was the carpet, when it gets wet, it holds the water against the floor and it's a pain to clean up.

Snap in carpet: remove, hang up, then hose down the boat and the carpet, allow to dry and reinstall as needed.
Should make those icecream and soda spills easy cleanup too!

Yup, that's my thinking man. Not to mention, when it gets too nasty and messed up, pull it out, make a new set, snap it in:cool-new:

It's all just talk till we see it Jason. Sounds like a good idea, how are you finishing the edges of the carpet?

:fish:

Just handing it over to a tent/awning place to bind it. I think I should be ready to drop it off over there by the end of the week maybe??

Non photo progress report - started in on cutting up that carpet this morning. Hang tight, I'll post up my step by step all at once.

Rock on doods!!

:rockon:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Are my eyes deceiving me or did EZMOBEE just make a cameo appearance? Nice...

Jas, I know you probably already have this figured out, but I was thinking you could put a couple of small rubber stoppers on the inside of the gunwales to provide a "stop" for the back support... Just an idea...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Are my eyes deceiving me or did EZMOBEE just make a cameo appearance? Nice...

Jas, I know you probably already have this figured out, but I was thinking you could put a couple of small rubber stoppers on the inside of the gunwales to provide a "stop" for the back support... Just an idea...

Yah, I have probably stewed on about a hundred different methods for the "stopper" or hinge of some sort - the set up is kind of a tuffy but I'll get it figured.

Real class act Jas, looks awesome!

Thanks man!:joyous:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, progress on the pedestal seats!

For the base plates I picked up 4 SwivelEze Lock N Pin, very nice, heavy duty! I have two versions, one with a nut and one without...
P1090978.jpg

P1090977-1.jpg

For now, I am installing the ones without (the plates with the nut will come later I think...).

You can see there is a flange on there which made for a several step install to accommodate.

This photo I took way back in the day came in super handy to figure out where the triple fat part of my deck was...
P1080746.jpg

First, I drilled (partially) out a 2 1/2" hole...
P1090995.jpg

(Yes, I was drilling over my fuel tank. Yes, I was a little nervous. Yes, I measured and double checked like 10X.)

Then a 1 1/4" right on through...
P1090996.jpg

Then I basically chiseled out the outer wood ring...
P1090998.jpg

Next...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

After that, 5200 all over the place (though I did manage to get some on my work pieces)...
P1090999.jpg

Installed with SS and all cleaned up...
P1100001.jpg

Assembled the seat, popped it in, took it for a test drive, love it!!
P1100004.jpg

:thumb:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jas how about cables similar to pickup tail gate only a much smaller scale? :couch2:

Status
Not open for further replies.