1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

Then I applied two coats of epoxy resin to the bottom, and did the same on top with a layer of glass matt. Again for waterproofing, and the matt for added strength.

what type where can i get??

I understand about marine grade plywood. i'll check into that at Lowes.just don't want to pay alot then it fall apart in 2 years and have to redo it all again.

But yes I'm soaking it all in trying to learn all this because my brother-n-law is looking to do the same thing he is also looking at a 18 - 21 ft starcraft aluminum as well. so I will be ready to help him with his.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Additionally, you should consider that most of us have only recently restored a boat and all of them could fall apart in the next 5 years for all we know:D

Yes....but then we can just strip 'em back to the aluminum hull and start over!!

FWIW - I used marine ply and polyurethaned (sic) both sides....I am 46 and I am quite sure that will last a long time...

North Beach

Commander

This is where I got mine.

http://www.mertons.com/

Talk to Joe Merton. He's a great guy. I called and explained to him that I had exactly no idea what I was doing and he asked me a few questions and recommended the products.

Epoxy resin and glas mat. If you want to see some of this stuff going down, check out my resto thread.

And make sure you buy a few of the squeegees:D

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me and my nephew where out looking at the hull bow I was under with my spotlight he was inside looking when he noticed the light from inside so we pulled the spotlight inside and we found that the old sealent was all cracked where the seam is. can i remove the old sealent and replace with 5200 and let dry and leaktest again?? think that might fix the leak?

didn't find any loose or missing rivets...

just the old mahogany looking sealent cracked...

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well going to get the plywood,resin,and glass for the transom. also going to look at a few other thing fuel tank, seats, and a few other goodies.... finnaly talked the wife into going to look.

going to get the stuff I need for tommorow and see how it all turns out there will be lots of pics also....

bananaboater

Ensign

Me and my nephew where out looking at the hull bow I was under with my spotlight he was inside looking when he noticed the light from inside so we pulled the spotlight inside and we found that the old sealent was all cracked where the seam is. can i remove the old sealent and replace with 5200 and let dry and leaktest again?? think that might fix the leak?

didn't find any loose or missing rivets...

just the old mahogany looking sealent cracked...

I don't totally understand this. Is the aluminum cracked? On my Jet I cannot imagine a place on my bow where light would come through enough to see it. I have an extra aluminum keel layer that would prevent that. Is it too large a space to use gluvit?

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

the outer layer was bent up a little bit picked up some 5200 and some new solid rivits and put a seal in the layer and then inside where they all meat together.

sorry for the earlier post the rivets where not loose on the inside the where broke in half between the outer layer and inner layer will take pics in the morning of repair.

building transome tommorow. gonna use a 6 layer plywood and fiberglass it. Lowes down here is not able to order the marine plywood 8 - 10 weeks out.
a place in san antonio said 14 - 18 weeks wait time.
the Holiday marine guy ordered some PT ply for me does not contain the copper treatment that the new PT has it is a speacial order ply just for marine shops down here from Mc Coys Lumber yard. he said just glue it together with gorilla glue let set for an hour clamped. then cut transom and drill all holes. after all holes are drilled fiberglass making sure you get the resin inside of the holes..

in about 2 - 3 years save and replace with same.

so I'm going to go this route for now. i will save and get all the stuff ordered for the transom reinstall later. with all the correct items.

i'll let you all know how it all goes..

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wellstarted another day on the tin.

IMG_4016.jpg

got the JB Weld out and filled in the 4 holes that didn't know anything about worked great. will get pics tomorrow.

layed out the old transom on the ply I picked up and traced it all out and cut.

then used gorilla glue on the 2 halves.

transomglue.jpg

transomglue2.jpg

dalton.jpg

took some pounding but got it in.

more to come

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is some more pics

transomin2.jpg

transomin1.jpg

also got the knee brace installed.
knee.jpg

used SS srews, SScountersink washers, and nylon lock nots w/ 3M 5200 on all screws.

kneeboltsbottom.jpg

kneeboltsrear.jpg
]

more pics to come

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

heres some more

also filled the bow area where it was leaking with 5200.

5200bow.jpg

pics of the family

Wife (Boss Superviser)
boss.jpg

Leo (Nephew) helps alot maybe i'll let him drive it!

leo.jpg

Mike (Brother-n-Law)

mike.jpg

well just need to screw all the SS screws in the back transom and drill all the holes. and then it's on to the dash. wife is going to order the Gluvit Tuesday. needed to wait shae said I spent too much yesterday LOL!! :eek:

you noticed the look on her face right....

more to come tomorrow!!!

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

shoot the stuf I took out was hard as heck to remove worked 3 1/2 hours just on removeing that red junk. and boy it was nasty looking crap.. but got it all out and replaced it with some nice white 5200 sealent... LOL

thanks still got more to do tomorrow.. gonna do alot or screwing lol
:D

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

well got all the bolts and screws back in the transom today.
bolted.jpg

and then washed it off to see what actual color it really is.. Not a bad color think i'll not touch the top and just touch up the bottom a bit...

washed.jpg

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update!

well just applied the gluvit that stuff is a workout! well I hope it works.

how long does it take to setup? temps are between 75 - 85 here in Texas?

went and picked all this up Friday after work.
parts.jpg

cat inspecting to make sure I got the right stuff. :D
IMG_4072.jpg

gluvit.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

think I spent $80 for everything.

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sunday borrowed the wetvac from my brother. We had Mother's Day here at my house so had alot of help. brother BBQ'd while I vacuemed and applied the gluvit. everyone else just stood and watched. wondering what the stuff was for.

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4174.jpg

Looks like it's gonna fix all the leaks! I'm getting closer to Splashdown!

WoooHoooo!

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work:) Your boat is identical to mine except for the closed bow.

She shouldn't leak now, good luck with the project!

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

how long does it take for the gluvit to setup to be able to leak test it again?

Huron Angler

Admiral

how long does it take for the gluvit to setup to be able to leak test it again?

I'd give it a good 48-72hrs at least. It really depends on the temp and humidity. If the gluvit gets wet it will take even longer to fully cure.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice work on the Gluvit. Yeah it does take a while to set up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you want to use those brass drain tubes. The whole dissimilar metal thing could end up causing corrosion.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

well got some more work done today.

removed the winshield and got the holiday off the trailer.

window.jpg

offtrailer.jpg

offtrailer2.jpg

gonna flip it over when my boys get home from work.

here a few shots of the trailer.
trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

yep it needs some work looks like paint , new lights and wireing.

gonna oil the rollers while I got it off and look at the tires..

Last edited: