1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1979 Satrcraft Holiday16 closed bow

Sweet rig Dalton!
Did you get the info you needed to remove the steering wheel?
I had to use a 3 legged gear puller to get mine off..

But usually you can loosen the nut till its just almost off,bang on it. then lift up with your knees, bang on her with a hammer again..pull off..
There is a shaft key on the steering shaft itself, dont loose it..

the gear puller worked really easy, btw;)

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info will be pulling eather tommorow or wed. need to clean the shed out to fit all the parts i'm pulling so they don't get lost... or stolen haha..

another question about Gulvit.

is it better to strip all paint on outer hull the do the gulvit inside then check for leaks or check for leaks the use gulvit then remove old paint ????

North Beach

Commander

Dalton,
Strip the hull first. then fill the boat to just above the triple rows of rivits where the sides meets the bottom. Mark the leaking rivits, if any. Buck the bad rivits, watertest again. Rebuck if needed. Gluvit the inside. Watertest again. There's a couple weeks of your life :D

As far as the seats go. You should have had a pair of lay down seats up front and around 78 & 79 it looks like the back seats were sortof built in. Real fancy schmancy lookin stuff. Go to the 78 brochure and take a look. This is alltogether different from the simple back seats us 60's guys have so I can't help you much on how they were built. Maybe one of the other guys can chime in. But you can really get as creative as you want with seating.

Edit- I see the frames for the front seats in your pics. They're just the lay down seats like starcrafter65 has just re-done in his thread except his are on pedastals which is actually a little better. You can buy them just about anywhere if you want.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dalton,
Strip the hull first. then fill the boat to just above the triple rows of rivits where the sides meets the bottom. Mark the leaking rivits, if any. Buck the bad rivits, watertest again. Rebuck if needed. Gluvit the inside. Watertest again. There's a couple weeks of your life :D
What do you mean by buck the bad rivits? never heard that term before. I want to be right so I don't go and make anymore holes then I already have in it .. LOL :eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What the Buck???? lol

Bucking is where you have someone hold say a 5lb sledge hammer on the inside rivet, while you use a big ol ball peen hammer hitting the outside rivet, to squish em together with a little pounding, kinda blacksmithing it..

You need a bucking helper!:p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your existing paint job is in good physical condition (not peeling or flaking) you can just scuff it up and paint over it. No need to strip.

North Beach

Commander
Re: 1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

Dalton, E's exactly right. I just assumed based upon the way you asked the question that you were goin to strip the hull.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

well there are a few bad spots in it but i'll have to look more into it when I flip it over to check out the bottom. i'm really wanting to do a complete restore of this boat. i never gonna sell this one, If iI gat this one done will probably look into another one to redo and sell. I might even make it hobby...LOL

This is something i enjoy doing. I've restored a few old cars just never a boat until now.

another question? did these boats ever come with something on the outside hull? because on each side there are 2 holes in the exact same place looks like something was mounted there?:eek:

holes.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not that I know of and you sure don't want those holes there!

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah I know thats why I need to see how to fix those holes! any sugestions?

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

that stuff works on aluminum? never knew that. cool well i'm off to work on the boat.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK update!!

just did a leaktest :eek:

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

found a few not bad though rear leaks are because of this was not where it was soposed to be.. must've came out during the haul to the house.

IMG_4003.jpg

wich in return causes this.

IMG_4002.jpg

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I these can't seem to figure out what was mounted there outside or inside??

IMG_3999.jpg

same on otherside.
IMG_4006.jpg

and now the big one!!!

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

THE BOW:eek::eek::eek:

Here is a shot of the bow leaking. don't look to bad.
IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

And guess what I found?

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK now whats next on my list?

need some rivets to fix rear part?? or is there another way??

front bow not deside cause found this red sealent in the front inside on the bow of the hull?????

IMG_4005.jpg

looks like PO tried to fix it before. That would explain the nasty cheap plywood.:mad:

guess I can try the Buck aproach! buck buck buck LOL

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Don't sweat it man, just upgrade to a heavy duty bilge pump. Maybe something gas powered, oh 4 or 6 hp should do it:eek::eek:

North Beach

Commander

OK, where to start? Dalton, the goop in the front of the boat is probably stock goop:D In the 70's and 80's the folks at Starcraft used a variety of soft stuff in the area where all those different peices of sheetmetal joined. I didn't have the stuff in my 66 but we've seen it in a bunch of boats. My 89 Mariner had some red goop that had hardened and it just peeled up by hand. Others have reported black goop. I too had a nasty leak in that area. The bucking and lots of gluvit in that area took care of it.

You may find that you still have a couple leaks after you buck the rivits. If you do you have two choices. Gluvit and retest the bilge to see if the gluvit took care of it, or you can get some small stainless flat head bolts. That's what I did on the rivits that were broken on the Mariner. Just fill the hole with 5200, run the bolt thru from the outside, install small flat washer, lock washer and bolt. After a few days for the 5200 to set up, cut off the excess bolt, gluvit the inside around the bolt and go fishing:D

I'd use the same repair in the 4 mystery holes.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

So your saying use a stainlees flathead like this?
flathead.jpg

with washer lockwasher and nut useing 5200 then let it sit for a couple days right?

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got destructive again!! :D

decided to try to get the wheel off... got it no problem it was all the darn philip head and 3/8 nut that gave me alot of trouble.. heres a few shots.

dash.jpg

and i'm gonna leave that last dash peice in there looks good just had mildew from vinel on it gonna sand it down and start from there.. think i'm gonna do a few things different though.. maybe add another piece the same shape and make it go all the way across. and add a couple lift tops to put stuff and then a few drink holders off that.. we'll see how it looks on paper first....

Oh yeah here is all the Styrofoammmmm... well flotation that cam outa the floor area...
foam.jpg

and a shot of my work area still need to clean up still in the destruction phase of the project!!!
workspace.jpg

I want to thank everyone for all the good info being passed my way..

Last edited: