1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 Starcraft Holiday16 closed bow

just wanted to throw these shots of the tow rigs in.

1999 XJ jeep cherokee 4x4
99xj.jpg

1996 XJ jeep cherokee 4x4
96xj.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

You're making me miss my '87 AMC Cherokee now:D

My brother-in-law bought a brand new one the last year of production('03 maybe?) and I keep asking him when he's gonna sell it to me.:)

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

2002 XJ was the last year made. then the Commander took it's place in 2003 w 2 ft more rear cargo space.

the white 99 is mine and the green 96 is my wifes. I have owned cherokees since I was 15. my sister has the first I owned her daughter has the 2cd, other niece has 3rd, nephew has 4th. other brother-n-law has 5th . these are the 6th and 7th i've owned. and still want another one....

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

got the boat flipped

Ready...
ready.jpg

1 2 3.....
123.jpg

Heave ho!...
heaveho.jpg

Pose....
almost.jpg

Almost down....
again.jpg

Almost.. Almost...
settingtires.jpg

And......

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Down......

upsidedown1.jpg

upsidedown2.jpg

well... we got it. now to start sanding and seal up a few rivets...

any sugestions????

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well now that didn't look too difficult. I think I'll give that a shot.

Nice job:D

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's realy simple an the hull alone is so light.... mines a 16' rolled over nicely we even stopped for a pose LOL :D

ummmm... well you might need to throw a BBQ.. that 22'er might take a few more ppl and a tow truck LOL:eek:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of primer do I need to use on the hull? not going to remove the old paint just going to shoot over it but there is a few spots that need primer. can I just use rustolium primer???

then paint with rustoluim white?

going to completely repaint next winter..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any bare aluminum needs etching primer. It's usually green. I was able to find it (Duplicolor) at Pep Boys.

Otherwise, you don't NEED primer. However, I will mention that at least with my experience with Easypoxy, it doesn't FILL or hide ANYTHING. So if you want to hide some scratches and defects, go with a primer of some sort.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool I only have a few spots with bare metal showing will hit the auto parts stores and start looking... Thanks EZ

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well found out I live 200 yards from a new auto paint store. So I went and ask if they sell etch primer yep he had a can in stock so I got 1 for the bare metal spots and started priming it up. I got all the bare spots primered. also ask the gent in the store what I could use to cover the painted area he said auto primer for painted area and the etch for bare spots so i got 2 cans auto primer also. well got about 1/3 of it primered today..

pics will be posted tomorrow got dark to fast today.:eek:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok got a question how do I remove the old brittle boat numbers off the hull without makeing deep scratches in the paint. getting ready to primer and paint this weekend. thinking white hull with yellow on the stingers and then the top yellow. haven't decided yet was thinking maybe a burgandy as well what do you all think?

if I go yellow will name it "The Yellow Rose of Texas"

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok got a question how do I remove the old brittle boat numbers off the hull without makeing deep scratches in the paint. getting ready to primer and paint this weekend. thinking white hull with yellow on the stingers and then the top yellow. haven't decided yet was thinking maybe a burgandy as well what do you all think?

Get them old numbers off with GOO GONE or sticker remover from any DIY place..Scrape with just a little tlc..

And I am very partial to Blue & White SC's..but y'all know that..

Maybe red, white and blue for my next one!

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool thx guys will be picking one up tomorrow then. then it's primerin time.

bananaboater

Ensign

Yellow, bananaboater :cool:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

God I love your tin..... Darn now I gotta clean the drool outa my keyboard..... click just got saved as my desktop background...............:p

whats wrong with yellow??

maybr Burgandy?

maybe blue?

but now might go with a red ..... :p

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I got something done this weekend. feels like I'm makeing headway now. well i decided to just stay with the original gold on top for now. but painted the hull all white after removeing the boat from the trailer the side bunks had scratched and destroyed the side paint on the boat so had to just paint over the strips. (not to fond of the 70's strips) but don't get me wrong i'd like to redo it later back with the strips but a newer color combo. I managed to save the plastic Starcraft emblem gonna redo those in black & white. or maybe something different not sure yet.

ok so here is a few shots of the primmering I did use a zinc primmer on all the bare aluminum areas and then a rustolium primer after that so don't freak. rolled on the rustolium primmer came out nice and clean.

IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

primmered saterday afternoon....

Last edited:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now as far as today Sunday. i got alot more acomplished... see below

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

now it is in the drying phase gonna let it bake allday in this 85 - 90 degree weather....

now for a few other things see next...

Last edited: