1979 Starcraft 16’ SS Refresh

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Hard stop to putting bunks on the trailer. Hate to say it but im selling my starcraft cause I picked up a new project - an old glass jetboat!!!
View attachment 336678View attachment 336677

Just kidding you tinheads!!! Glasser will be trashed and I just scored that bada$$ trailer for $100!!! Will have to redo some bunks and give it a new coat of paint after a wash but its rust free, good tires, good axle, and beefy. So much nicer than the unregistered rust pile my boat sits on now. New trailer sits the boat low, and has nice side steps. Huge huge upgrade so I am stoked. Needs new lights - big whoop. Its home and mine!! Carry on, thanks for taking the time to read my nonsense haha.

Very nice for a $100!!!

SHSU

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
@SHSU You should have seen the admirals face when I told her I bought another boat!! Ill take a pic next time 😂. Should have waited for today to say april fools... Lets just say she was not thrilled but hasnt even seen the quality of the trailer that the ugly boat sits on.

Not only can I sell my old trailer, but that brown glasser has a bunch of goodies I can pillage. Havent gotten completely under the bow yet, but it has a nice sized aluminum gas tank. Also has the steering setup, gauges, bilge, hoses, trim, cleats, and more. The trailer bunks arent in horrible shape but I have enough stuff lying around to change em all out.

SHSU

Nothing like a good donor glasser!!!

SHSU

Moserkr

@SHSU So far the starcraft is 2-0 vs glassers, and 0-1 vs logs haha

Got the donor boat mostly stripped and ready for a dump run yesterday. Today, i got a lot of the brackets in, as well as the 2 main stringers. Will be able to brace the main stringers while I get the new trailer ready. Even got the Admiral to do a rivet that we missed, and the first mate helped a bunch too. He really likes the junk glasser, calls it his boat, and works on it with his hammer.

Hope everyone has a happy easter tomorrow! Will be back to work next week.

Attachments

• 7E755D59-E76B-44B1-92A1-FC47CB6089DF.jpeg
    7E755D59-E76B-44B1-92A1-FC47CB6089DF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 2C3783A3-8F36-407D-98EC-A54FFE5878A0.jpeg
    2C3783A3-8F36-407D-98EC-A54FFE5878A0.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 296B817A-E5D2-4497-BE2F-3082C6159CC2.jpeg
    296B817A-E5D2-4497-BE2F-3082C6159CC2.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 3C303448-8D08-4678-9252-6B3811627F38.jpeg
    3C303448-8D08-4678-9252-6B3811627F38.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 72C0A365-DCB3-482F-899E-1F9C6146AF4A.jpeg
    72C0A365-DCB3-482F-899E-1F9C6146AF4A.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 27

SHSU

Something satisfying about seeing a hull all cleaned up. Love it when the boats start going back together for a better life!!

I see you salvaged a fuel tank, where you planning on putting that?

SHSU

Moserkr

It definitely feels good to start getting her back together @SHSU As far as the salvaged gas tank goes, just going to try to sell it to offset the cost of buying the new trailer and taking the old glasser to the dump. I could put it in the starcraft, but I have the new moeller plastic tank already, and i know its clean at least lol. When i was researching gas tanks, i liked the pros of plastic over aluminum.

Moserkr

Behind in my schedule that was in my head, and over budget - so im on track for a proper build right?!

Nothing done since last weekend except a leak test today!! I was able to go to the lake 5 min down the road, and convinced a very friendly park ranger to let me in for free 😁. Took just a little convincing but since i was without a motor, seats, or even an oar, she let the $20 fee slide. Told her i literally need to look for leaks for 10 min.

I forgot to take pictures of the boat in the water again 🤦, but I only found 3 leaks!! 2 leaks were from the holes i left open for my fish finder lol. The other leak was from a rivet in the bow - which was my fault. I missed pieces of an old rivet that i drilled out and set a new one in it. So its no wonder the new rivet leaked, the old rivet sharing the hole will never set right. Not bad considering we replaced over 120.

Big plans this weekend and through next week!! Paint is ordered which was actually difficult for CA - low voc is normally all you can find here. Hoping to get the following done in the next week: I plan on putting coat-it on the inside and any outside head i can with whatever's left. Then finish up the side brackets/braces, and brace the middle stringers. Also bought the foam for the inside so when coat-it is dried, the foam will go in! Going to try to fill holes with putty too.

On monday Im trashing the glasser. Got a full suit for when she gets cut up with a recip saw or chain saw. My buddy with a grapple bucket on his bobcat will load it in a dump trailer, and then shes gone. Then i can order lights and any material I need for the trailer bunks. Will have to get schooled in looking at the bearings and axle to make sure its up to par. A quick wire brush to a few rust spots then some black spray paint to finish her off. Hoping it goes quick. Will leap frog the hull onto the new trailer when Im done.

By next weekend I want to start fitting the floors, and getting the transom wrapped up. I figure once most of the floors up to the consoles and braces are in, I should have and be ready for paint. Trying to kick $&!@ into high gear and get ready for a splash. She should be functional within a month Im hoping, and hoping to have the interior the way I want not long after that. I just need time lol. Will start cracking away on stuff tomorrow!! Ive had enough inspiration from everyone else getting their projects moving haha. Time to work!! Check in again tomorrow.

Moserkr

Moving along! Got most the pieces cut for bracing/brackets, minus my gas tank cradle. Washed the sap off the boat so I can apply coat-it tomorrow. Sanded the transom hull down since it had a lot of coat-it from the PO, and was all kinds of bumpy with runs. Then I marked all the holes to be filled in with putty, mainly along the gunnel and transom. Shop vac’d the hull so it will dry faster.

Tomorrow i want to fill in holes with putty, apply coat-it to all interior rivets and any exterior that were replaced, and do the final epoxy on the transom wood after sanding yesterday. Getting a lot done on my list and staying on track. Goods are on order to keep going!

First mate has been keeping me company and helping run any tools, whether its the air compressor or just handing me a pen, he does it all. Even can retrieve a beer! 😂

Attachments

• F2E979D1-C5B6-4307-A9D3-807BEE4F8C79.jpeg
    F2E979D1-C5B6-4307-A9D3-807BEE4F8C79.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 0D7756B3-3471-4D63-8B22-E7C7D3078B2D.jpeg
    0D7756B3-3471-4D63-8B22-E7C7D3078B2D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • C7C8A554-BA21-4EEC-B8D7-19C64CCF123E.jpeg
    C7C8A554-BA21-4EEC-B8D7-19C64CCF123E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 16
  • F1083EF8-817E-4FC7-ABC0-204A271251A2.jpeg
    F1083EF8-817E-4FC7-ABC0-204A271251A2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

SHSU

First mate has been keeping me company and helping run any tools, whether its the air compressor or just handing me a pen, he does it all. Even can retrieve a beer! 😂
That is the best kind of First Mate, bringing the captain a beer!!

When you go to do the coat it, make sure you do a scuff and wipe down before applying. Need to get the little coat of oxidation off for a good adhesion.

That being said, good progress and way to go on convincing the park ranger!!! lol

SHSU

Moserkr

Thanks @SHSU I will make sure to wipe down n scuff first. I wouldnt have done that otherwise lol. Just found out my next weekend is booked so looks like ill be putting in late nights during the week to stay on track. Weathers been nice and days are long so nows the time to get it done!

Moserkr

So I do have a few questions regarding the fuel system. My fuel tank is going to be in the bow, and Im wondering where is the best place to run the fuel line. Under the floor, maybe through a pvc pipe? Along the bottom of the gunnels above the floor?? Under the gunnels where wires are run??? Does it need any special pieces like a one way valve or does the siphon pump cover that

My guess was through pvc along the bottom under the floor. Whats the SOP? I appreciate the input. Also, was planning on drilling a hole on top of the gunnel for the fill and vent for the fuel tank. Is that normal? Ive seen some on the side of the hull and it doesnt seem right to me.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My thoughts on gas lines are;make them accessible,if they fail let it be obvious. If it develops a leak I want to know immediatly ,not when I turn on the bilge pump and start a fire or blow up!
Filler tube for tank ,I have seen them on gunwales and sides of hull whatever works for you.

SHSU

I ran my fuel line under the floor and came up at the back bilge cutout. Just make sure you use an oversize fuel line (I used 5/8) to help with making sure you get plenty of fuel to your water separator then you can drop to the 1/4.

As for the fill and vent, I installed the fill on top of my gunwales too. The vent though I used a Attwood 90 degree p-trap fuel tank vent on the side. It wasn't my preferred method, but I did not like the idea of a backflow value either.

SHSU

Moserkr

Thanks guys. Once the lines come in I will fool around with it and decide which way to go. I will have a hatch that opens up for full access to my fuel tank and fittings so that leaves me options. Going to put the fill/vent up on the gunnel near the passenger window. Makes sense to me with what side my truck fills up on, and its less likely to get water near it.

Got a bunch done today and stayed on track!

Bent some more braces first. Test fit the main stringer braces and will put them in soon. I have 4, and the one closest to the bow will be part of the the fuel tank cradle that is yet to be built.

Next, I put the last thin coat of epoxy on the transom wood. I had sanded it down nice n smooth for the last thin coat. Its ready for test fitting and drilling as soon as its dry.

Last, I nylox brushed all the interior rivets, and followed that with a wipe of 50/50 vinegar and water. Had a beer while it dried, then mixed the coat-it. Its starts off runny, but quickly slows down. Did the interior in about 45 min and by the end it was like smearing peanut butter. Had enough to do all the outside rivet heads on the transom, and a few along the hull. I got the seams really good and like how it went. Obligatory coat-it drying pics are below.

Not a bad day! Hoping to get a lot done this week if time permits. Tomorrow, the glass boat meets the saws...

Attachments

• 61EDB83F-1FCF-4295-A74B-D19B292C89C4.jpeg
    61EDB83F-1FCF-4295-A74B-D19B292C89C4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
  • EC590A77-1323-4155-BB6C-3DD1DACF6A6E.jpeg
    EC590A77-1323-4155-BB6C-3DD1DACF6A6E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • F47D666E-B927-496F-A7E0-CBF67352BFB7.jpeg
    F47D666E-B927-496F-A7E0-CBF67352BFB7.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 23052BFC-3BC3-4BEF-B422-F798CBCB3AC7.jpeg
    23052BFC-3BC3-4BEF-B422-F798CBCB3AC7.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23

Moserkr

The glasser met its maker today, and i kinda had fun trashing it lol. It was rotten all the way through, so not even a chance for anyone saving it. Chainsaw and recip saw went through most of it pretty quick. My buddy loaded it into a dump trailer with his bobcat, which was very handy, and we barely made it to the dump before they closed. No video of the chainsaw but got some of the bobcat in action. Id share em but not sure how to upload it here. Tried cutting the video length down but files are just too large.

New trailer is clear and ready for parts so Ill take some pics tomorrow and make my list. Will gladly take suggestions on how to make it nice. New bunks are in order, especially since the old ones fell off once the boat was off it lol. Cant wait to give my girl a proper place to rest her head.

Attachments

• CD9C475A-DDF9-4E31-8EFA-609E82C5E097.jpeg
    CD9C475A-DDF9-4E31-8EFA-609E82C5E097.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 94AE4562-CC5C-4D2B-9930-10FD14935A10.jpeg
    94AE4562-CC5C-4D2B-9930-10FD14935A10.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 8

Moserkr

@BWR1953 That would have been easier than a chainsaw!! But close enough to the point 😂. Ive seen enough rotten glassers to know to stay away from em.

Moserkr

Update to my “to do” list. Keeps my head in the game to look it over and update it. Was hoping for a birthday splash but that ship sailed. So, absolute deadline is when my niece comes to visit mid June. Its funny, the fixing section over winter took a while and was only a few items on the list in reality. Just realized I left painting the boat off the list lol. Minor detail haha.

Strip boat and turtle - 12/27
Strip paint - least fun part haha
Wire/nylon wheel rough spots - done
Fix rivets/knee brace - 2/8 - done
Install bow cover - done
Build and install braces - done
Leak test - done
Coat-it - done
Fix “new” trailer - extra project
Install transom - here now
Install SW
Cut and install floatation foam
Install deck to console area
Paint Bottom
Install gas tank
Install front casting deck over gas tank
Install hydroturf on deck
Install Consoles
Paint Topside
Install Windows
Build, stain, spar, and install gunwale wood
Install motor
Install batteries, wires, electronics
Engine work: Rebuild carbs, Fix tach
Check for other issues
Build folding rear bench seat
Build bow seats
Splash??
Rebuild Stinger 75
Install Stinger?
Resplash??

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Update to my “to do” list. Keeps my head in the game to look it over and update it. Was hoping for a birthday splash but that ship sailed. So, absolute deadline is when my niece comes to visit mid June. Its funny, the fixing section over winter took a while and was only a few items on the list in reality. Just realized I left painting the boat off the list lol. Minor detail haha.

Strip boat and turtle - 12/27
Strip paint - least fun part haha
Wire/nylon wheel rough spots - done
Fix rivets/knee brace - 2/8 - done
Install bow cover - done
Build and install braces - done
Leak test - done
Coat-it - done
Fix “new” trailer - extra project
Install transom - here now
Install SW
Cut and install floatation foam
Install deck to console area
Paint Bottom
Install gas tank
Install front casting deck over gas tank
Install hydroturf on deck
Install Consoles
Paint Topside
Install Windows
Build, stain, spar, and install gunwale wood
Install motor
Install batteries, wires, electronics
Engine work: Rebuild carbs, Fix tach
Check for other issues
Build folding rear bench seat
Build bow seats
Splash??
Rebuild Stinger 75
Install Stinger?
Resplash??
That list is getting short! I'd probably move that Splashwell installation down a bit to delay ladder-boarding/unboarding of the vessel for as long as possible.

Moserkr

Thanks @classiccat Ill scoot it down the list! Thought it may be good for structure when i flip for paint but that can wait. Will be easier to do electrical, floors, n fuel lines with it not there too.

Got new lights and carpet ordered for the new trailer today. I think ill be able to use the bunks i built for the old trailer on the new trailer. It will have 2x center 2x6”x10’ bunks that are laid flat for 6”s of support. Then it will have 2x 2x6”x8’ bunks that i had previously built for the old trailer. Ill pick up some currently overpriced lumber tomorrow so I can countersink holes for bolts, and start sealing the wood in spar. Could have the new trailer boat worthy in a week!