1979 Starcraft 16’ SS Refresh

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Already close to my budget but it was blown by buying tools so not too worried.
lol, I we all have that moment when we realize "SSSSSS*******************TTTTTTTTTTT"

Lots of work to do but getting closer to the next big step - riveting. I know once Im there that the boat starts going back together. Trying to just keep cracking away an hour or 2 a day at a minimum when I can.
Yep, its starts to get better when you are putting her back together. It was a long time getting there for us, but once we turned that corner with the riveting and started to put the floor and stuff back in it seemed to fly.

SHSU

Moserkr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@SHSU the s*******t is still coming as I figure out bracing costs. Either way I dont see it being as low as I hoped. Oh well, boat will look good, Ill be happy, family safe. That doesnt have a price.

As I wait on rivets and such to arrive, Ive been polishing up the side panels inside the boat that i know will be exposed. I was going to paint them, but after how much work it takes to get glue and paint off, they will be staying as shiny AL. Will give it character to have some metal showing and so that no one can deny this old girls roots. After Im done nyloxing everything I can, Im going to start removing rivets that are broken in the transom first, then work my way forward. Transoms probably the worst as far as rivets and nyloxing goes, lots to finish.

Will be on a hunting trip soon and weather comes in around that time of course, so back in the garage she will go no matter where Im at in the project. If Im lucky, I will have banged in my first new rivets before I go. After that time off, I should have everything on hand to get her ready for reassembly. Hard work will pay off!!

Attachments

• 9A88DABF-EBF0-4834-BD96-E5FAC00A37B2.jpeg
    9A88DABF-EBF0-4834-BD96-E5FAC00A37B2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • A4958B10-BD1A-4A88-85E8-3E3AF186E30E.jpeg
    A4958B10-BD1A-4A88-85E8-3E3AF186E30E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Moserkr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found 1/8” 5052 AL 4x8’ sheet for $180. 1/16” for $120. @classiccat I believe I read you cut your own sheets with a jigsaw? Also is the HF bending brake able to bend that 1/8” sheet? Id rather go big with the bracing than small. I want to do the braces under the gunwale shelf, and the L bracket along the ribs and tie them into the new braces. I dont plan on doing the z brace though. Looks like it will be cheaper to cut and bend myself with a new tool, also less time intensive. If I have the shop do it I have to go to the big city twice. Have to go to the big city to get the sheet metal but its in stock. I know 6061 is stronger but id like to keep it all the same as the boat was made with.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
the HF brake should be able to handle that thickness (0.125") of 5052; I did alot of 0.090" without trouble. If you have to do really wide pieces, you may need heat it to make it more malleable but I doubt that would be necessary.

SHSU

As I wait on rivets and such to arrive, Ive been polishing up the side panels inside the boat that i know will be exposed. I was going to paint them, but after how much work it takes to get glue and paint off, they will be staying as shiny AL. Will give it character to have some metal showing and so that no one can deny this old girls roots.

Yep, that is why I covered mine, I quickly realized how long it would take to get the glue off and decided to just cover it. With that also came its own challenges and won't be doing that again. Getting vinyl glue to adhere to Aluminum isn't fun...

SHSU

Moserkr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@SHSU I take it you left the old glue then to cover it with vinyl. I was just going to paint it, cause thats cheap, but the old glue is so bumpy it would look horrible. So had to remove the old glue to smooth it to paint, then I figured why even paint?! It took me around 45 min to do half the bow with the nylox cup brush, and 3 rechargeable drill batteries. Will pull out the ole milwaukee corded drill to finish the job. Only thing I plan on gluing down in the boat is the foam flooring cover. Not sure how it will stick to the gunwales that are still painted but we will find out haha.

Decker83

Commander
I used some Klean-Strip from the big box store to remove the glue
from the sides on mine.. Just brush it on and scrape it off. Works great..

SHSU

Only thing I plan on gluing down in the boat is the foam flooring cover. Not sure how it will stick to the gunwales that are still painted but we will find out haha.

For the gunwales, you have the finish trim along the edge. If you remove that and glue the vinyl under it you shouldn't have an issue. I have had zero issues with mine on the gunwales and floor. Just the ones on the side have been my problem children...

I used some Klean-Strip from the big box store to remove the glue
from the sides on mine.. Just brush it on and scrape it off. Works great..
That is a great idea, I didn't even think about that. Mostly tried with the nylox and wire wheels. To much effort and didn't think about using a chemical remover.

SHSU

Moserkr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
@Decker83 Really.... and I thought I was all done with kleen strip lol. Going to have to give that consideration. It would take probably 2 more hours to polish that glue off with the drill.

@SHSU Now why didnt I think of that?! At this point Ive deconstructed so much of the boat, whats a few more pieces? Lol. I like the idea of having the foam (vinyl in your case) held down like that too. That way its sandwiched down and the edges wont come up from use...

Thanks for the intel gentlemen! Thats why I love this forum. Tomorrow Ill be back in the boat. Was going to wire wheel tomorrow, but I think Ill get that knee brace and other transom rivets out instead. Will see how much time I have. Cheers!

Moserkr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Almost to riveting!! Guns still in the mail, but my rivets are here. Also ended up just nylox wheeling the glue/paint off since I had already started. Wasnt that bad once I got going, just took a few beers. Those beers also included getting my knee brace and transom shelf off, as well as prepping the transom. There was a dirt turd under that knee brace!! Lol. Then I drilled out a ton of rivets, and counted the holes in my transom. Including the little screws for the transom’s cap, its 108!!!! Counted twice since i thought i screwed up but its right... like swiss cheese! Must have been 8 fish finders added in the back. Still lucky my boat has no visible cracks, and very little pitting.

Im going to sand it as smooth as I can, and nylox all the rust tomorrow. Plan is to have the boat pretty much prepped for riveting in the garage by weekend’s end. Even going to wash it with soap inside n out. Will pick up the sheet metal after I get back from my hunting trip, and should be set to reassemble. Cant wait!!!

One bummer was the gas tank I found online almost doubled in price... hope they bring that deal back by the time I need it!!

Attachments

• 9D4A51F4-1D47-47B7-9602-CACBDF8A422F.jpeg
    9D4A51F4-1D47-47B7-9602-CACBDF8A422F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 843FFEB7-6461-4E6C-8C1A-9D9F06109040.jpeg
    843FFEB7-6461-4E6C-8C1A-9D9F06109040.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A136DB55-86B8-4914-8DA8-8B34D748B68F.jpeg
    A136DB55-86B8-4914-8DA8-8B34D748B68F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DE9C378D-B613-4FE3-8F59-DD284A61ACF2.jpeg
    DE9C378D-B613-4FE3-8F59-DD284A61ACF2.jpeg