1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

The deck is looking good DJ, nice work there:)

Your boat looks cavernous compared to mine. Can't wait to see her all finished up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great. Man, that ski locker really puts it into perspective just how huge that hull is.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good to see the dance floor in. Be cruising around by September.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Your girls are just as cute as buttons there buddy.

Yeah, we think so too...they are a hoot..

Oh the humanity! Just terrible!:eek::eek:

You should be tried for war crimes.

No comment....

Hey, great progress man:)

Thanks, feels like I'm getting somewhere for a change

Looks great. Man, that ski locker really puts it into perspective just how huge that hull is.

Your about to really find out if your buddy gets that other one....

The deck is looking good DJ, nice work there:)

Your boat looks cavernous compared to mine. Can't wait to see her all finished up.

That makes two of us.....

Good to see the dance floor in. Be cruising around by September.

You ain't dancing on my floor.....:D

(I'm trying really really hard not to picture that!)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Went to Grand Haven tonight for the Coast Guard Festival. Love it out there. First time the girls have been to a carnival. Took a few pics of the ships that were in town. Last year we toured the Mackinaw.....

25099c4d.jpg

5a7ca138.jpg

56417572.jpg

43d2cd83.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Home from a week of vacation at Lake Leelanau....

Tonight I decided to do a quick mock-up of my consoles just for the heck of it, and I'm kind of scratching my head.

Notice anything?

1d3a0580.jpg

The consoles are wicked out of level. They weren't perfect by any means before cause the windshield didn't meet up when it closed, but it looks like I need to take 1 1/2" off the console leg to get them level. I even threw the side paned in to check my gunnel height and it matched right up. My floor is the same 1/2" ply as the original and it's pulled down tight to the stringer. I may need to get yorkboater on the phone and get some reference measurements. I can't raise the outer sides of the consoles cause I think that would look stupid.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't raise the outer sides of the consoles cause I think that would look stupid.

Looks fine. (just letting you know it is an option). I looked back at my pictures and can't even find out where it's obvious enough to point out. Nice piece of aluminum angle and you're good to go :)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Looks fine. (just letting you know it is an option). I looked back at my pictures and can't even find out where it's obvious enough to point out. Nice piece of aluminum angle and you're good to go :)

Do you have a close-up pic of your dash? How much higher is your console compared to the top of the gunnel or the trim? In order to level mine, I bet it would be 1 1/2 inches....

After pondering your statement, It makes me wonder if it should have been done that way to begin with. Maybe the assembly person put it flush at the gunnel. Why else would the support part be so high in the middle? Hmmmm....... We'll have to take a closer look tonight. Thanks EZ.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice progress I think it would look fine to raise those consoles a bit on outside once the windshield is on it should all blend together nicely I think the key would be the windshield fitting properly.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice progress I think it would look fine to raise those consoles a bit on outside once the windshield is on it should all blend together nicely I think the key would be the windshield fitting properly.

I agree, just hard to believe that it's off as much as it is. The consoles are riveted to the side of the gunnel, and I temporatily stuck some rivets in, so it is where it was.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've noticed that not everything Starcraft did was perfect from the factory (angry mob insert groans growls and howls of anguish here:)) Wish those original assemblers had signed their work so we would know which one was responsible. Boats built by # 10 and 15 awesome stay away from assembler 13 etc...:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I've noticed that not everything Starcraft did was perfect from the factory (angry mob insert groans growls and howls of anguish here:)) Wish those original assemblers had signed their work so we would know which one was responsible. Boats built by # 10 and 15 awesome stay away from assembler 13 etc...:D

My dad used to deliver Starcrafts to the dealers in the 60's and has said they would complain to the factory alot about the fit and finish. Problem was the dealers could sell everyone they got their hands on, and would fight over them.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well, turns out the consoles are supposed to be that way. I guess that's good cause now I don't need try and "fix" them. Yorkboater was nice enough to send me some pics and measurements, and his are the same and his windshield closes properly.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Well, turns out the consoles are supposed to be that way. I guess that's good cause now I don't need try and "fix" them. Yorkboater was nice enough to send me some pics and measurements, and his are the same and his windshield closes properly.

Just helping out the "brotherhood" anyway I can.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The deck is all riveted in. I put rivets every 6" which ended up being around 200 rivets, and once again squeezed them all by hand. My Stanley hand riveter is holding up well.

34dc8f68.jpg

Also got the bow seating panels cut out.

6d5a4fad.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Good progress man! I bet it feels good to have the deck back in.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man, I'd love an SS that big! Such great looking boats.
And superb job with the resto so far! Read front to back with great interest.