Early 60's Starcraft? Worth it?

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all -- considering this boat (click here for link) because I like the looks of it. Hull and transom seem fine and I've got a new 40hp to use with it.

Anyone know the year of this thing? Owner does not know. Also, what is the lifespan of such a hull? I'd be willing to put a couple thousand into it, but I can't do the work myself.

Too much for a newbie to get into?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Early 60's Starcraft? Worth it?

check for soft spots on the deck, real classic. 40 would do nicely. when fiberglassics.com gets back up. you can date it there. it is worth the $$$$.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Cute little thing,...

Probably a Great Deal if it isn't rotted...

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks -- as I said it seems pretty solid. I'd be willing to put $2000 into it, but how far does $2000 go in glass repair? For example if the transom and floor needed a bit of work, would $2000 go a long way in fixing it? Can't do the work myself. I have no experience with glass repair.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Looks sound from the outside but 2000 doesn't go a long way if you don't do the work yourself. Why can't you do it? Worried ? Plenty of help here on iboats forums. With patience, and the will, anyone can do fiberglass repairs.

REMEMBER: If you say you can't do it---you can't do it. If you say you'll try, you just might.

Lifespan of a fiberglass hull is indefinite as long as UV has not degraded the gelcoat to the point where it is now denaturing the polyester resin binding the glass fibers.

And that gelcoat looks shiny--smooth.

You will know right away if the hull is degrading because if you rub your hand or arm over it --even with a wax job, small particles of glass will embed in your skin and itch.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great tips. It is really a time issue in terms of repairs -- busy family 2 kids and all that, spending evenings doing glass repair won't happen.

I did not know glass could last indefinitely.

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My first boat was a 65 fiberglass Starcraft. 17' with a matching 65 evenrude 90hp outboard. It was a AWSOME boat!!!! Looked cool, rode nice, handled good, built like iron! And that 90hp V4 had a sound to die for!!! Miss that boat a lot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've got a similar boat but in aluminum. If you want a cheap boat without having it turn into a nightmare project....look for an aluminum hull. Deck and transom replacements aren't too bad on a tinny. You could get it done in a couple weekends.