1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Question: I'm preparing to install my splashwell and seal up all the transom thru bolts. I bought all new SS Phillips head bolts and was planning to put 5200 on them. Just now I took a look at the original bolts and was surprised to see they were made with a groove under the head for an o-ring. There is only enough for the ones below the waterline. Get new o-rings and reuse?...or go the route I was planning?

See:

efbc4e19.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I believe 5200 will be completely fine if you don't want to monkey with the other Dave.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, any tips that might help me in NOT getting 5200 all over everything in sight?...including myself?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh, any tips that might help me in NOT getting 5200 all over everything in sight?...including myself?

Yah man, I actually just cut to the chase and just rub it all over like lotion. You know, just get it out of the way on the front end.:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Roflmao! An unsettling pic of you putting it on like suntan lotion just popped into my head.

Not good.....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

When I have a lot of fittings to do I just go ahead and message that 5200 into the scalp too. You know just a full body deal.:eek::D

OK, sorry man. Seriously.

A brand new full box of shop rags and a big jug of mineral spirits should keep you pretty clean for sealing up the whole boat.

My last run I used the big cartridge in the calk gun and really preferred it over the smaller tubes. Bunch more user friendly for me anyway.

Cheers man:D

Ok, sometimes I'll take a shot of that 5200 just to get loose for the job. Don't judge me.

:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It puts the lotion in the basket ........

sprintst

Commander

It puts the lotion in the basket ........

You're sick. Now I know I like you :)

The Hannibal reference was cool but even funnier in Joe Dirt mode :)

We all need to get together and project some movies on a garage door or sheet at these Starcraft get togethers with a beer in hand:)

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Come on Dave, you're almost done and I want to use this thread as my "instruction manual" this winter. It looks great so far!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Come on Dave, you're almost done and I want to use this thread as my "instruction manual" this winter. It looks great so far!

That's funny, I don't feel almost done...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I've been able to get a lot done this weekend. Totally finished pouring foam, fuel tank fittings done, all transom bolts sealed with 5200 and installed, and the splashwell is permanetly in. Just a couple gunnel rivets yet to do.

07d2aff4.jpg

df763750.jpg

I went with the aluminum splashwell drains for $2 each through Iboats and bought the Moeller 1" Flanging Tool. This was the EASIEST part of putting the splashwell back in. I used a 1" hole saw with an extra long 1/4" dia. pilot drill and spun up a bushing at work that was 1" outside diameter with a 1/4" hole in the middle. I then "pre-drilled" the transom wood with a 1/2" diameter drill. That way my 1" hole saw would guide itself on the transom hole and my bushing would guide the pilot drill on the splaswell side. Both holes came out perfect.

89096c3e.jpg

6c8968d5.jpg

More.......

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The splashwell drains installed:

8253c007.jpg

dca7004b.jpg

Like I said, if you go with the aluminum ones...BUY THE MOELLER TOOL. It's like a 2 minute job.

Also, I was at my local True Value the other day. I was planning on replacing those little nails that hold the top transon cap trim pieces on with small screws. I happen to look up and see this little box of nails labeled, get this, "Boat Nails". They are bronze and and exact duplicates, size wise, to the original ones.

f7c4723e.jpg

4265447e.jpg

Tomorrow, I may try to get a coat of epoxy on the deck.

BTW....glad I don't work with 4200/5200 every day. As it is, it may be weeks before my hands and arms are "caulk free".

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The drains look perfect, wish mine had been as successful. Also thanks for the tip on that flaring tool. What are the odds on finding "boat nails"? Great find.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Also, I was at my local True Value the other day. I was planning on replacing those little nails that hold the top transon cap trim pieces on with small screws. I happen to look up and see this little box of nails labeled, get this, "Boat Nails". They are bronze and and exact duplicates, size wise, to the original ones.
Will there be a problem with corrosion between the aluminum and bronze boat nails? - Grandad

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Will there be a problem with corrosion between the aluminum and bronze boat nails? - Grandad

I don't think so, there was plenty of 5200 on them and my boat will not see salt water.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your drain tubes look beautiful Dave, excellent man:D

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Drain tubes look great better than original definitely a cleaner more finished look than the plastic ones I plan to use. I'm still trying to decide what to fasten the transom cap back on with "boat nails" sound as good as anything so far.