1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

i was kicking around the idea of priming the inside as i too will only se salt water, just not sure if the reward is worth it, also would want to know if gluvit can be applied to primer if needed :confused: ??????????

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

i was kicking around the idea of priming the inside as i too will only se salt water, just not sure if the reward is worth it, also would want to know if gluvit can be applied to primer if needed :confused: ??????????
I primed (2 coats) and painted (one thick coat) the inside with left over hull paint, not sure about priming over gluvit, but I'm pretty sure you can paint over it.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Damn man. Need some close up pics of your glove compartment and dash area.

Looks exactly like what I need to do.

The three screws on either side of the glove box door hold 1/2" starboard side walls,you have to pre-drill them, the bottom and rear panels are 1/4" and are basically laid on the 1/2" side panels and screwed down. Everything is epoxied as well as screwed but nothing really sticks to starboard. Though a bead of 3M 5200 along the inside perimeter would probably help. I tried using the piece I cut out for the door but the corners weren't perfect so I cut a new piece. If you rounded the corners and were really careful about pre drilling for the saber saw you might be able to use it. I will counter sink those 6 screws a little more then caulk the heads so you don't see the screws and it should look pretty good. I will also support the rear of the box with some plumbers tape or L bracket to under the dash so it will take a beating without coming apart. Especially if you have the box loaded with stuff. All stainless screws pre drilled and counter sunk. DON'T use a drill bit to counter sink, use a counter sink bit, a regular bit will catch and pull through real quick. I used a stainless piano hinge and magnet closure. The rest of the dash is just bolted on the aluminum with nylon locking nuts We were out in some white caps today and everything held up pretty well, didn't catch any halibut though, too windy and the bottom was muddy, the fish probably couldn't see the bait!
IMG_0661.JPG

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

We have had the boat out several times all without a hitch. I will add some additional photos of the boat while on vacation in Oregon. We got her up to 42 MPH last weekend, without triming the out drive properly (my daughter was driving) I think she has 45 in her.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

sprintst

Commander

Nice job. Thanks for posting the pics as I have to do something there as well.

The three screws on either side of the glove box door hold 1/2" starboard side walls,you have to pre-drill them, the bottom and rear panels are 1/4" and are basically laid on the 1/2" side panels and screwed down. Everything is epoxied as well as screwed but nothing really sticks to starboard. Though a bead of 3M 5200 along the inside perimeter would probably help. I tried using the piece I cut out for the door but the corners weren't perfect so I cut a new piece. If you rounded the corners and were really careful about pre drilling for the saber saw you might be able to use it. I will counter sink those 6 screws a little more then caulk the heads so you don't see the screws and it should look pretty good. I will also support the rear of the box with some plumbers tape or L bracket to under the dash so it will take a beating without coming apart. Especially if you have the box loaded with stuff. All stainless screws pre drilled and counter sunk. DON'T use a drill bit to counter sink, use a counter sink bit, a regular bit will catch and pull through real quick. I used a stainless piano hinge and magnet closure. The rest of the dash is just bolted on the aluminum with nylon locking nuts We were out in some white caps today and everything held up pretty well, didn't catch any halibut though, too windy and the bottom was muddy, the fish probably couldn't see the bait!
IMG_0661.JPG

dredog12

Seaman Apprentice

Where did u pick up the other console and winshield my boat only came with driver side also.. thanks man