1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1979 18' Starcraft starting restoration

_IGP1118-3.JPG

Thanks to Joey Plumly for this color scheme, I liked his colors so much I copied the colors and used the same paint! The Benjamin moore M22 is nice paint, but they are discontinuing the m22 here in California according to one BM store. (It was made in Canada)

Chris
Oakland, ca.

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
The boat got wet today, 1st time in 20 years!

The boat got wet today, 1st time in 20 years!

I started this restoration February 28th and just got her in the water for the 1st time today for a little testing. It almost did not happen, the shifter cables were backwards, reverse was forward and the idle was a little off but I launched anyway. We put in at the ramp close to Jack London square in Oakland, Ca. on the Oakland estuary. Mostly idled along but got it to plane a couple of times. It gets up on plane easily and has a lot of torque. I didn't see any leaks and the temp stayed at 160 the whole time. More photos once the interior is finished, and I will post a link to Utube for the short video of 1st launch and testing.

Chris
Oakland, CA.
1st%20drive.jpg

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
2nd time out Full throttle!

2nd time out Full throttle!

IMG_0611.JPG
We took her out for a real shake down on mothers day.
Put in at Jack London sq and proceeded out into the oakland estuary, went to look at the new bay bridge being built and then parked at Scotts seafood for some drinks and oysters. We even got boarded by the Coast Guard! Their rig had twin Honda 200's and a 240 machine gun on the bow. We checked out ok and called it a day. She was very smooth and easy to plane and at full throttle went pretty good! Now I see why everybody likes these old boats so much, they take the chop well, plane easily, go like crazy without much motor and pretty fuel effecient. And of course they cut a pretty handsome line in the water.
Next up finish the bow seating area, paint the dash and install new gauges.
We will ck out the hallibut fishing soon, the. CG captain said a guy pulled in a 33#er today.

Chris
Oakland Ca

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice work Karhawk! Boat looks awesome...

Huron Angler

Admiral

She was very smooth and easy to plane and at full throttle went pretty good! Now I see why everybody likes these old boats so much, they take the chop well, plane easily, go like crazy without much motor and pretty fuel effecient. And of course they cut a pretty handsome line in the water.

I agree, you pretty much summed it up right there. Don't forget that they have a nice freeboard(high sides), a very dry ride, and ample splashwell:D

Nice work on the rig, glad to see you enjoying it out and about. Some nice photos, those bridges are huge in the background.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on a successful shakedown!

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some shots of gauges and the dash, I made it out of 1/2 poly board I bought from Tap plastics, I used 1/4" material for the sides. I got the gauges from Great lakes skipper. I will have the front seating storage area finished this weekend, then I'm done!
IMG_0624.JPG
[/IMG]
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh yeah, very cool gauges! I just bookmarked great lakes skipper. You gotta love marine stores that have really cool stuff. :cool:

sprintst

Commander

Looks beautiful. Caught up and passed me :)

Those guages will be a nice finishing touch.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those gauges are PERFECT for the limited dash area of an SS.

Andy in NY

Commander

wow those gauges are sweet! where did you get them?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great Lakes Skipper.com(mentioned previously) and they also have an ebay store. Best online source for Starcraft marine gauges. I've been eyballing some for months:D

Nice work karhawk, the rig looks great:D

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice

j

Thanks Andy!

I just read your restoration posts cover to cover, very nice work! These Starcraft's are really good looking boats. I still have a very short punch list but will take her out again this weekend for some more testing. I will teach my daughter the A to Z of boat launching and captaining soon so she can go out with her husband and friends. I came in just under $2000 for the Ponyboy and I have a spare complete Mercruiser 120, an extra complete upper unit and another trailer to sell. That stuff is probably worth $500. I won't sell the engine until after this season just to make sure.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

PS

I promise to add more video to my resto links, it really is more fun to see these boats in action!

karhawk

Seaman Apprentice
Almost finished glamor shots

Almost finished glamor shots

Here are some more shots, got some of the gauges hooked up, but I'm having trouble with the RPM gauge.(the wire goes to the coil right?) The wheels on the trailer need paint and the forward area needs some finishing touches.
We are going out on the bay Halibut fishing tomorrow, they are biting out on the Berkeley flats to Angel Island on the SF bay.

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Almost finished glamor shots

Re: Almost finished glamor shots

Looks awesome. You went with pretty the same hatch arrangement in the bow as I did. Lots of storage under there.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work, I really like the grey stripe on the hull.:)

The gauges are very nice too!

sprintst

Commander

Damn man. Need some close up pics of your glove compartment and dash area.

Looks exactly like what I need to do.