1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Went to lowes today to buy the foam but they were out. I will have to make a run down to HD later on today to get it. I did find a great deal at lowes, 5 gallon bucket full of olympic deck stain! It was on the clearance rack for $25.00. So i picked that up to use on various projects.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tried cleaning the paintballs off the boat yesterday, and thought i had cleaned it all up. Went down there today, and there are permanant streeks all down the side of the boat. Unfortunatly, I will be painting one more coat of green on that side of the boat. I am so mad than I am considering calling there landlord and complaining to him about his renters.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well today I got all the paintball stuff cleaned up. I did a little reading on how to remove the stuff. A combo of WD-40 and Pine-sol was the trick. Took quite a bit of scrubbing, but overall was better than having to mask off and paint some more.

The deck is ready to go in the boat. I am just waiting on the foam sheets. Both lowes and home depot are out. HD has more coming in on thursday, so I will go down there and get some then. They have a little better price than lowes does on this stuff.

Slowly I am making progress on the boat.

That is all for now.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some bear traps in strategic locations would be a good way to get them if the spineless culprits had the heart to get closer than paint-ball range.

Glad ya got the stains off the rig, that green is looking pretty nice.:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Huron,

Every time i look at the boat, I like the green more and more. I am glad the stains came off as well. I was not looking forward to painting another coat.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

So I am planning on buying the foam tomorrow at home depot, they have a shipment coming in the morning. However I just found a thread where someone used 2 liter soda bottles? My wife's work go's through dozen's of those every day and I have easy access to them. Does anyone have any thought's on this before I go open my wallet at HD in the morning.

Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

All you gotta do is displace water Isaac. Go for it. However, I'd resist the urge to affix them in place using pourable or spray foam as that stuff doesn't seem to get along real well with our aluminum hulls.

Huron Angler

Admiral

My only concern with using bottles or plastic containers was the noise from them vibrating or knocking around. I think using a mix of pool noodles and bottles would help alleviate some of the noise if the deck doesn't hold them in place tightly.

I forget whose thread it was but someone sliced the noodles in half lengthwise to help fit more in under the thinner areas under the deck. When I do this all again I will probably do that also to get more flotation in.

Just some thoughts:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have been saving containers and bottles for the past few months now and probably have way more than I need (4 great big contractor bags full). ALL FREE!!!

I have a wide variety in there so I can put them together like a puzzle. I hate rattles so I planned to stack them just proud of the deck and squish them down in place.

I also have a whole bunch of pool noodles that I think I'll mainly be using behind my side panels and under the gunnels.

All this is theory at the moment for me though...

Have fun!:D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys for the Idea's! I am glad I came across this, cause it just saved me well over $100 worth of foam sheets!

My wife is going to start bringing some bottles home from work every night, so I hopefully will have enough in the next week or so.

I am brainstorming on some idea's to hold them in place besides pour in foam. What about little dabs of PL Premium? Just enough on each bottle to hold it in place?

Any other thoughts?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Forget the 2 liter soda bottles........ they will break down

Go to anyplace that accepts recycling and pick up laundry soap bottles which are much better quality plastic and stand up to allot more abuse.

Take a straight pin and try to puncture a 2 liter bottle ..... now try a soap bottle.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Bob_VT.

I was thinking about those, as well as antifreeze bottles, 5 quart oil bottles (both of these obviously cleaned out). I like the idea of heavier duty bottles.

I am going to do some searching around tomorrow for them.

Thanks.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

somebody needs to try airmattresses below deck someday! lol

Or just invent thick plastic bladders ya can shove in and inflate..if she breaks up..at least ya have a ready to go life raft!

Too bad ya dont have a hungry pitbull on site for those brats

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

somebody needs to try airmattresses below deck someday! lol

Or just invent thick plastic bladders ya can shove in and inflate..if she breaks up..at least ya have a ready to go life raft!

Too bad ya dont have a hungry pitbull on site for those brats

It would be a really cool idea, I wonder how it could be pulled off?

I have thought about getting a lot of those basic orange life jackets, and throwing a bunch under the deck. I see them for free all the time on craigslist, but that would be a hell of a lot of driving to get enough.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm, air mattress. Didn't think of that!

Interesting....

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What would... the bladder idea or the pitbull ;):D

We had a pitbull/lab mix for 2 years. In our neighborhood there are 9 dogs that run around free. Everyone know what dogs belong to who, and no one cares. For 2 years our pitbull was the ONLY dog to ever get animal control called on. The lady up the street constantly was calling them and having our dog picked up. The animal patrol would drive into our neighbor hood and see all the other dogs, but would only take ours. $125 to bail the dog out every time. After 5 times of paying that, I said forget it, no more.

We even tried fencing him in our yard with a 6ft fence. He could clear it. I learned this one day by throwing a stick over the fence, he bolted for it and jumped clean over it. There goes that idea.

We tried keeping him chained up, but he would just bark and bark and bark until you let him off. We finally gave him away cause it just was not working out. Some day when we move, we will get another one.

here are some pictures of him. His name is Busa (as in Hyabusa the motorcycle). Good dog, I miss him a lot. He would always ride to work with me and hang out with me. He was truly my best friend.

049.jpg

034CR2.jpg

033CR2.jpg

019CR2.jpg

roughshot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a good looking dog. I too have a fence jumper. I was the first in the neighborhood to put up a fence for my dog. Like yours, everyone in my hood lets their dogs run free when they let them out, no one really cares. But for some reason, when a 120 lb chocolate lab bounds the fence and b-lines for the people in the road, they get scared. No one has called animal control on me yet.