1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

oldrem

Commander
Weather held yesterday for the most part. Got the steering all hooked up and adjusted, mounted the controls then ------

Hooked up the battery and tried the power tilt. Could hear the motor running, but no movement. Loosened the relief valve several turns and tried to lift the motor manually. Apparently the valve is stuck / broken. Ended up lifting the motor with the hoist which popped a seal. Oh well, ordered a rebuild kit for it and was offered a whole working unit for a great price. Decided I'll do both and have a spare unit for the future.

T&T Issue 1.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Amazing how much stuff on a boat motor goes to heck in a hand basket just from sitting. I had to replace the pump on my 115, the shaft was froze up in the bearings.

oldrem

Commander
After removing the original T&T unit to put the newer one in, I found out the old was bored for 9/16" pivot pins and the replacement was 5/8". I picked up some thinwall nylon tubing and made a couple bushings. Also the newer unit was a Design 3 which did away with the stupid blind driven trilobe pin that you can't just drive out, so I drilled a hole dead center in the old pivot pin and will use a roll pin to hole it. Just need to do some lite deburring and I'm ready to put the motor back together.

T&T Mod 1.jpgT&T Mod 2.jpg

oldrem

Commander
My ordeal with the newer T&T did not go well. Got another bad unit that will neither raise the motor nor hold trim. The shop I got it from is sending another one out Monday.

Meantime my yard looks like a country field. Weather has been rainy except 2 of the days we were gone last weekend. Last night I was finally able to crank up the John Deere and start mowing. One pass and BANG went the deck belt. Hauled out my walk behind I haven't used in two years. Ran a couple passes before the motor quit. Tried until near dark to get it going and gave up. After work today I got a new deck belt for the tractor. Had to wait a couple hours for another monsoon to stop so I could start working on it. Found the idler spring had detached and parts of the old belt were wedged around the idler pulley. Pulled the deck, cleaned it all up and have the new belt installed for tomorrow. Hope they're right that it's supposed to be sunny all day. Temps in the 50's, but at least no rain in the forecast.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I've been bumming on my yard this year cause of the boat. Didn't even plant my tomatoes yet.
Like most things they run in threes, so you are finished with being pestered!

oldrem

Commander
Been battling the T&T unit now for 2 weeks, but finally got a frankentrim working with parts from 2 units. Now I just have to find the short under the hood that keeps cutting power unless I hold the wires just right.

Moved on to some trailer mods. After work yesterday I moved the power winch back on the tongue since it was too far forward to open the tailgate on my suv when the trailer was attached. Now that I have the boat where it's going to stay, I installed my heavy duty tie down. That boats not going to move an inch when traveling once I'm done. Now I can start constructing the bow stop.

Bow Strap.jpg

I also made some new bunks for transom support due to overhang. I topped them with bunk slicks. Took the slicks back off now so I can do the OTF thing on the wood this week.

Transom Bunks.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Proportionally - actually 2x3's I had to run the 2x4's through the table saw so the assemblies would fit where I want them. Good eye!

Yeah all about stout is the way! Not sure if you saw the new bunks I made up...

y4mld5XbKidcdi1qPW-r8ql_LCfBWlBW7yxN5Bc0TA9AcGzMVHzZwK89MRUdIStRX6mA4u0cygKoq-gX5WEyg_UgKfFsR7IPKAnUweQ6F71uxFUo67LIIC7RkzwuzgnhORGg2ixXHcVpG9pf5DmcziNmWDuCfuRP3WtG23xXHqu0S60vQ7GOLYhdik4nJRoPFyS-jQstgreCiB4cH-Feih1Cw

oldrem

Commander
Yeah all about stout is the way! Not sure if you saw the new bunks I made up...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/1wqwrq.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4mld5XbKidcdi1qPW-r8ql_LCfBWlBW7yxN5Bc0TA9AcGzMVHzZwK89MRUdIStRX6mA4u0cygKoq-gX5WEyg_UgKfFsR7IPKAnUweQ6F71uxFUo67LIIC7RkzwuzgnhORGg2ixXHcVpG9pf5DmcziNmWDuCfuRP3WtG23xXHqu0S60vQ7GOLYhdik4nJRoPFyS-jQstgreCiB4cH-Feih1Cw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Monster bunks for a monster boat - good show :)