1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome work on the boat and trailer!

I really like bracket you made for your electric wench and after seeing how your using the adjustable clasp (I'm having a brain fart and can't think of the proper name) started to wonder if it wouldn't be easier for loading and unloading if you made another plate to fit between the wench and base plate. This intermediate plate will have 2 vertical tabs for another bow stop to be attached. this bow stop will be directly above your bow loop, so when you wench it tight, your done. I can draw it out if you want to consider it further.

Either way - beautiful work! I have a '78 Sylvan 16' and absolutely lover her

oldrem

Commander
Awesome work on the boat and trailer!

I really like bracket you made for your electric wench and after seeing how your using the adjustable clasp (I'm having a brain fart and can't think of the proper name) started to wonder if it wouldn't be easier for loading and unloading if you made another plate to fit between the wench and base plate. This intermediate plate will have 2 vertical tabs for another bow stop to be attached. this bow stop will be directly above your bow loop, so when you wench it tight, your done. I can draw it out if you want to consider it further.

Either way - beautiful work! I have a '78 Sylvan 16' and absolutely lover her

Having a hard time picturing it. A drawing might clear it up. Always interested in potentially better ways to achieve a goal.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
photo315950.jpg it's kind of crude, but best I can do while at work :) the winch cable would pass through it, of course, pulling your boat up and into the stop.

Attachments

• photo315951.jpg
    photo315951.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo315952.jpg
    photo315952.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
I appreciate the thought and time, but fail to see where a second bow stop would help. The turn buckle is there to keep the bow from raising at highway speeds and takes less than a minute to install or remove.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think the idea is normally you want the bow stop to be just above the bow eye . In case the safety chain fails it will wedge the eye under the stop to help slow it down . But the way ya have it set up now with the turn buckle is more than adequate
‘imho .... Everything looks great Rem !

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think the idea is normally you want the bow stop to be just above the bow eye . In case the safety chain fails it will wedge the eye under the stop to help slow it down . But the way ya have it set up now with the turn buckle is more than adequate
‘imho .... Everything looks great Rem !

100% agree and couldn't have said it better, thought about trying but didn't want to pester you Rem

oldrem

Commander
100% agree and couldn't have said it better, thought about trying but didn't want to pester you Rem

Never a pester - I appreciate all comments. I made sure everything in the turnbuckle assembly was rated at least 50% greater than the combined weight of the boat and motor. Everything for the winch and post are grade 8 hardware. As a former tool and die designer I tend to over engineer a bit lol

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
oh man, haha I didn't think the turnbuckle was less than adequate in any way, shape or form!

oldrem

Commander
Badly sun burnt and sore today, but had a blast yesterday. My best friend and his fiance invited us out for the day. We fished the morning and until 2PM, motored back to shore, broke out the AR-15s and set off some tannerite. Had a cookout after that. Full fun day. Really hated coming in to work today.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that sounds like a great time, I didn't have the day off but going out fishing tomorrow. How was the fishing?

oldrem

Commander
Yeah that sounds like a great time, I didn't have the day off but going out fishing tomorrow. How was the fishing?

I caught 2 LM bass, admiral 2 gills and Stacy caught 2 bass and a mess of gills. My buddy had a couple on but lost them. Bowfins were aggressive attacking the stringer of gills several times right alongside the boat. lol

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Awesome and great for you all!!! See so you need more of that. :joyous:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ohhhh.. CAR is the way BUT....their still is a thing called "A CAMERA!!!"
Only kiddin. Sounded like a whole lot of family fun. I'm so way overdue for that.

oldrem

Commander
ohhhh.. CAR is the way BUT....their still is a thing called "A CAMERA!!!"
Only kiddin. Sounded like a whole lot of family fun. I'm so way overdue for that.

Trust me - if one of us caught the 22 inch bass that was car'ed a month ago at the beaver dam we were fishing there would have been pictures

oldrem

Commander
Didn't feel like there was quite enough pull required with five 40lb catches on each side so I added two 60lb units for each. Don't want them flying open in a chop and have anchor, tool kit etc come sliding out. Feels good to me now.

Storage doors final.jpg

I'm sure I would have been ok on most ramps around here launching and retrieving with the Sorento, but could get sketchy on some with just front wheel drive. Picked up a 2005 Jeep Liberty LTD 4x4 a couple weeks ago cheap that needed some work. Just got it back this morning from my son-in-law Brian who went over everything front to back. He's been working on cars since little (father had a shop and even built dragsters) so he's one of the few people I trust with my vehicles. Now I just need to finish the boat.

05 Liberty.jpg

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really like the magnetic setup and look forward to hear how it does in a chop/ keeping loose items at bay!

Congrats son the new Jeep! Looks like it'll be a nice pair rolling to and from the ramp :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I would have never thought about the magnets for securing hatches ..
Cool idea !