1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Gosh dang! I'm sitting here cussing the 52 deg. Weird weather for sure.

th

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Man I’m hoping you all get a break from that white sloppy stuff .. I almost feel guilty about our weather down here ..
Had to go to work for a couple hours this morning . On the way home had stop for gas .. There was 4 fishing boats ,2 wake boats , a deck boat ,and a nice cuddy cabin boat all lined up to get fuel ... At least some people get to go boating I guess .
Temps are somewhere in the high 70’s to low 80’s nice and sunny and the St Johns river looked like glass when I went across the Dames Point Bridge ... :joyous:
Ohh well gunna try and get the grass cut I guess ...:cold:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
there is no Guilt in Florida, the fact that all wildlife and insects want to kill us makes up for it.

oldrem

Commander
Any of those rods hold a Tuna or striper?

Nothing that heavy. You'd want a super heavy rod with roller guides for big tuna. I could build it, just no call for it around here. Heaviest fish around here are offshore salmon that can get around 70lbs other than sturgeon

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just wondering. Yap later. Thanks. Stripers can get to the 70's max. I'll yap with you later as I get closer.
It would be an Honor to have your rods on my boat.:joyous:

oldrem

Commander
Finally had a decent weekend. Upper 50's yesterday and 70 / sunny today. Was all set - so I thought - to get the newer Mercury with T&T set so I could mark and drill the mounting holes in the new outer transom board I made ans through the hull. After test fitting the new board, I hooked the trailer with the Mercs on it to the tractor and wheeled it it place under the gantry. Oops - did not do my homework. They don't have the built in lifting ring like the Johnson. Looked it up on line and found there's a special combo lifting ring / flywheel puller I need to do it safely. Got one on order, but really screwed up my weekend plans. Also found 6 of my bolts are now too short because of the thicker board, so got those ordered as well in 316 stainless fine thread.

Spent some time out in the yard today practicing casting with my new bait casting rod and reel. Reminded me why I usually use a spinning rod.

Transom Board New.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good seeing you have at it! That's a nice change in the weather for you finally. Rain all day here but got lucky yesterday.
Hey catch some crab grass for me!:joyous:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Why not just use the BIA standard bolt pattern to mark out and drill the holes? Sounds to me like the hard way trying to center the motor and properly mark the holes. I used this for my SS. The older Mercs with clamps like my 140 have an oddball pattern, but the CMC unit was mounted on the standard pattern.

attachment.php

oldrem

Commander
Why not just use the BIA standard bolt pattern to mark out and drill the holes? Sounds to me like the hard way trying to center the motor and properly mark the holes. I used this for my SS. The older Mercs with clamps like my 140 have an oddball pattern, but the CMC unit was mounted on the standard pattern.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.thehulltruth.com\/attachment.php?attachmentid=273833&stc=1&d=1349888037"**[/IMG2]

Thank you Rob, I had no idea there was a standard pattern. That will definitely give me a jump start

Watermann

No problem, knowledge is the best thing you can pass on to others.

Be sure to use a drill guide to drill those 1/2" mounting holes straight through, any deviation from 90 degree holes makes for a problem when mounting the motor. That 15 degree transom angle makes it tough to eyeball, well at least for me that is.

oldrem

Commander
No problem, knowledge is the best thing you can pass on to others.

Be sure to use a drill guide to drill those 1/2" mounting holes straight through, any deviation from 90 degree holes makes for a problem when mounting the motor. That 15 degree transom angle makes it tough to eyeball, well at least for me that is.

Used my mini drill press to drill them last night. They are 1/2" now, but thinking of going to 17/32" to allow for sealant. Any reason not to?

oldrem

Commander
45 degrees, wind and rain when I got home today - 20 degrees cooler than predicted, but I was determined to get the newer Mercury on the boat. With the holes pre-drilled thanks to the pattern Watermann posted, everything painted and cured for 9 days and the gantry I was able to make short work of getting all 14 bolts in and successfully mounting it. I used 316 SS fine thread bolts, Marine Goop plus anti-seize on all the threads. Next will be getting the controls and steering hooked up.

Looks a lot meaner than the old Johnson did.

Mercury mounted.jpg

Watermann

Nice! My boats all have the beautiful and mean black on back too. :thumb: