1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Not much new on the boat.. Did get the aluminum plate today and some new welding rods.. Just about finished on the welding..

Need to find the layout for the mercruiser out drive.. I made a pattern off the donor but would like to lay it out on the SS..
Thanks in advance..

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you haven't yet, look thru the links in the Adults only sticky at the top of the Mercruiser forum, I think the Merc template is in there.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Basically you need the dimensions for the keyhole. Did you get rid of that donor boat yet? It has everything you need to match up to the SS.

Decker83

Commander
If you haven't yet, look thru the links in the Adults only sticky at the top of the Mercruiser forum, I think the Merc template is in there.
Thanks again jbc.. I have taken a look there but forgot about I saw it..

Basically you need the dimensions for the keyhole. Did you get rid of that donor boat yet? It has everything you need to match up to the SS.
I do have the donor and made a pattern of the keyhole.. I assume the distance from the bottom of the hull is the same for both hulls..

Andy in NY

Commander
Im always jealous of anyone who has an SS. Nice looking boat you have there! Ill be watching your progress.

Decker83

Commander
Im always jealous of anyone who has an SS. Nice looking boat you have there! Ill be watching your progress.
Welcome aboard Andy in NY..
Thanks for the nice words..
There are a lot of great SS here on I-boats.. Just hope I can do half as good..:D

Watermann

Thanks again jbc.. I have taken a look there but forgot about I saw it..

I do have the donor and made a pattern of the keyhole.. I assume the distance from the bottom of the hull is the same for both hulls..

Yes the distance from the bottom of the keyhole to the hull bottom is the same. Getting that dead center is very important so take your time, make 2 marks or one long one on the transom center, center bottom/top and 2 marks on the pattern then all you have to do is line them up.

Decker83

Commander
Thanks watermann.. You can't see it in any of my pics, but when I was cleaning the transom I found a score line from the top center to the bottom center of the transom.. I assumed it was done at the factory for there reference line.. I will check it out a lot closer this weekend if I don't get rained out..

Decker83

Commander
Got up early this morning only to find the Admiral wanted me to shampoo the carpets..:moony:
That took up the morning..
Started on the transom and finished the welding.. That was a royal PITA!!! I will never try that again with the welding rods..
It turned out ok.. Have a lot of bleed thru on the inside..
Laid out were I want the .188 plate to go and made a temple to cut it.. Going to lay out all the holes for the rivets and drill and countersink them
before I install it.. Need to get a stainless steel brush and some 3m 5200 also..
Here are some pics..

100_3308.jpg

100_3309.jpg

Need to cut out the old motor mounts before I install the plate..

100_3257.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

The outside looks pretty darn nice. I take it you ground it down.

Are you going to remove the motor mounts to replace the wood core or can you replace it without removing?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just dropping in Decker ! Looks like your having loads of fun over here . Good to see ya back at things even if it is a tinny . :D
Awesome score on the donor . More than made your 600 bucks back !
But come on ... A nice trailer taking an itchy poop ... That was just cold ! :cold: No , well I guess it was kinda funny ... :lol:
I'll have to make it a point to swing by and check out the progress from time to time ..
I better get out of here before I start to bleed or something .. :bolt:
Later Decker !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Even though you're over here on the "Dark Side":eek::D It's really good to see you back at Boat Building!!!;)

Decker83

Commander
The outside looks pretty darn nice. I take it you ground it down.

Are you going to remove the motor mounts to replace the wood core or can you replace it without removing?

Thanks watermann.. I did do some grinding on the outside and will also grind down all the bleed thru on the inside of the transom..
I don't think I can use the motor mounts the way there are setup.. Just going to cut them down even with the ribs..

Decker83

Commander
Just dropping in Decker ! Looks like your having loads of fun over here . Good to see ya back at things even if it is a tinny . :D
Awesome score on the donor . More than made your 600 bucks back !
But come on ... A nice trailer taking an itchy poop ... That was just cold ! :cold: No , well I guess it was kinda funny ... :lol:
I'll have to make it a point to swing by and check out the progress from time to time ..
I better get out of here before I start to bleed or something .. :bolt:
Later Decker !!

Thanks for dropping in sphelps.. Donor kinda fell into my lap..
Have to be careful of what I say in the tiny section.. I think someone else started the itchy poop thing..:noidea:
I do like working on the SS and the Admiral likes it better than the Deck Boat.. I can get by with spending money on the SS..
But the real deal is with the Deck Boat..
Drop in any time..

Decker83

Commander
Even though you're over here on the "Dark Side":eek::D It's really good to see you back at Boat Building!!!;)

Thanks for stopping in on the dark side WOG.. I think I've seen you looking into a tiny before..:lol:
It is a lot different than the Deck Boat.. Not nearly as hard of work.. I do miss the Deck Boat and have it under its cover for now..
It is good to be up and moving around after being in that wheel chair for 6 months..
Have a great week..:D

Watermann

Thanks watermann.. I did do some grinding on the outside and will also grind down all the bleed thru on the inside of the transom..
I don't think I can use the motor mounts the way there are setup.. Just going to cut them down even with the ribs..

Before doing that put a level over the mounts at the center and tell me the measurement to the bottom of the hull. I know that Jas re-used his OMC motor mount beds for a 4.3L MC so you may not have to do any cutting.