1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Hello Decker!!!! your polish job looks fabulous!!! That's what i want to do mine. It will also have some red paint like dozers boat...maybe just a little more on the sides than his. What kind of polish are you using? Tell me your secret please!!! Awesome job and it shows!!! Can hardly wait to see it finished!!! Have a great day!!!

Thanks laklvng7 and :welcome: to my thread..
I used the Busch polishing system..
I will go through the whole process this weekend, If it doesn't rain me out again.. ​ ​​

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
The shine looks really good Decker, can't wait to read your tips!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Holy smokes Decker ! Looks like you took her and had it chromed ! Gunna be able to see it from miles away ...

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Decker...I am anxiously awaiting seeing those polishing tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a good one!!!!

Decker83

Commander
Thanks lady and gents for the comments..
I have been trying to get this polishing finished.. It's been raining on the weekends for the last 2 weeks..
I was so disgusted this last weekend, I went out under the tent and polished in the rain..:facepalm:
Weatherman says it's going to rain this coming weekend..:mad-new:
Maybe I can get it finished this weekend.. WE will see..

Decker83

Commander
How do I upload pics from windows 10??
Have new pics but can't upload..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Photobucket is still the best and works the same. I have Win 10 on all my machines now, well except for mobile devices that are android.

Looking forward to seeing myself in the screen with some shiny pics. ;)

Decker83

Commander
I am trying to use photo bucket but the img will not copy over to I-boats..

Need step by step for this old man..:facepalm:​​

Decker83

Commander
Thanks waterman and jbc.. No errors but a lot of problems trying to post and upload pics..

Finally I have some pics of the port side.. Not perfect like I want, but as good as I can get..

The ten foot + test..

100_3403.jpg

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Well I got one pic.. Now to try some more..

Just a few of the side..

100_3406.jpg

100_3405.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well at 2000mi, it looks GREAT from here ;) nice work. W the angle of the hull, once right side up, it'll look even better. Esp from the helm

dozerII

Admiral
Awesome job Decker, you have set the bar very very high on that polish job.:hail:

Decker83

Commander
Just one more..

100_3404.jpg

That was hard to get the pics posted..

Here or some of the things not to do when polishing..

1. Don't use a square pad sander.. It leave to many small circles..
2. Don't use lower than 320 grit paper.
3. Don't try and get by on 600 grit paper.. You need to go to at least 800 grit.
4. Don't keep going over and over the same area to remove cloudy looking aluminum..
5. Don't assume the aluminum is clean after stripping.. The stripper and the paint or still in the pores of the aluminum.

Here or some things you may want to do when polishing your aluminum hull..
1.After stripping the hull use a aluminum cleaner.. I used the Phosphoric Acid Cleaner from HD..
2. Use a good orbital 5" or 6" electric or air sander.. Start with 320 grit and work your way up to 800 or 1000 grit.
The sanding is just like prep work for a fine paint job.. The better the sanding the better the out come..
3. In my case I used the Busch products.
I started with the emery compound with a x-firm blue airway wheel.
Next I use the Tripoli compound with a Firm Yellow airway wheel.
Next I used the White compound with a Pleated Off White airway wheel..
Then I used the Phosphoric Acid again.. I brushed the acid on and let set for 10 minutes and power washed it off..
I did this because my aluminum was becoming cloudy. This turns the aluminum white and removes all the compound build up in the pores of the aluminum..
Next I just went over the hull with the Ultra white compound and X-Sotf Canton Flannel wheel..
Finally I used the Jeweler rouge compound with a different X-Soft Canton Flannel wheel..

I have completely gutted a 18 foot deck boat and cleaned the hull down to new glass.. In my mind and body, this is as hard to do..

Now for the starboard side..:facepalm:

Have a great week my I-boater friends..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Well at 2000mi, it looks GREAT from here ;) nice work. W the angle of the hull, once right side up, it'll look even better. Esp from the helm
Thanks again jbc.. Can't wait to get her back on the trailer..

Awesome job Decker, you have set the bar very very high on that polish job.:hail:

Thanks dozerll.. I'm just trying to keep up with your standards..:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Decker - I can see my reflection from here. She has to be the shiniest tinny on iboats. Or any where. :thumb: You are going to be mad with the first dock smudge. :blue:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Looks INSANE Decker! :madgrin:

...and thanks for the tips!! :thumb:

BWR1953

Admiral
Wow! That is positively AMAZING, Decker! Congrats on setting the high bar. :thumb: