1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Wow, amazing prep work Decker. It looks great as is. Are you going to polish or paint the hull exterior?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice work man...buttoned that baby up good and tight with the 1-2 punch! :thumb:

Decker83

Commander
Good idea, there's not much else you can do for the area of the seams that's covered by the stiffeners. Looks like there's a good amount of old SC factory smeg in the keel area, they got pretty sloppy with that stuff.
I really couldn't think of any other way on the seams.. Yeah there was a lot of the brown stuff.. Had a bubble with a hole in it.. Had to grind it down and fill in with the Gluvit..

You sure have that hull prepped nice. The gluvit and 5200 should insure no leaks for many years to come.
Thanks dozerll. I kinda get carried away sometimes.. Probably could have done half as much and still been good..:facepalm:

That looks like it'll work great Decker, as others have said, I doubt very much that you'll have any issues with leaky seams!
Thanks hayko.. Hope it holds up for me.. Want to keep this boat for a long time..

Decker83

Commander
Wow, amazing prep work Decker. It looks great as is. Are you going to polish or paint the hull exterior?
Thanks chemicalwire.. I want to paint the bottom white and polish the sides and add the SC Swooch in blue..

Nice work man...buttoned that baby up good and tight with the 1-2 punch! :thumb:
Thanks classiccat. I don't know if it gave me the ole 1-2 punch doing it but if it holds up it'll be worth it..

Awesome work, Decker! Positively awesome!
Thanks BWR.. Just trying to keep up with you and the foam job your doing..

Decker83

Commander
Have a question for you gentlemen.. I want to paint the bottom and transom and polish the sides..
Do I paint first or polish..
I'm going to use the phosphoric acid bath on the bottom, so I thought paint first and cover up real good then polish..

Gentlemen, what is your advise?
Thanks in advance..:D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I guess you won't have to worry about any over spray sneaking onto the polished surface if you paint first. You just have to be real careful about the paint line edge.

dozerII

Admiral
I have always polished first then paint just for the same reason Watermann mentioned, the paint edge. I just polish a little over the line between the two then after polish mask your paint line and run a random orbit sander along to prep for paint.

Decker83

Commander
Thanks for the advice.. I will start the polish job tomorrow..
Need to sand down a couple of places before I start the polish..

Decker83

Commander
Been a minute since I last posted.. Been doing a little polishing.. This takes me a lot of time to do.. It's been hot out under the tarp..
The first time I tried, I made a mess of me and my clothes.. Went to HD and bought a painter suit with the hood..
After 30 minutes in this zoot suit I'm soaking wet from head to toe..:frown-new:

I have one side done with the Tripoli buffing bar.. Two more bars to go..:facepalm:
In the pics you can see my wood fence.. Makes the pic look a little fuzzy..

100_3384.jpg

100_3385.jpg

Going to start on the other side tomorrow afternoon..

Have a great week my i-boater friends..

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yowza, that's gonna cause a car wreck when you tow it through at intersection on a sunny day :lol:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The Admiral will have no excuse for crooked lipstick, Deck. LOL

Lookin' really good!

Decker83

Commander
First let me say thanks to all you gentlemen for the great comments..

Been working on the polishing and its been a nightmare.. I was trying to only sand down to 600 grit to save a buck..
Well!!! that has cost me three times as much..
I went through the emroy bar, tripoli bar, white bar, and the white high shine bar.. Did a good job for a high polish..
But I could see every little sanding swirl in the hull..
Started with 320 grit then 400 and final 600 grit.. Should have keep going to 800 then 1000 grit..
Here are some pics so you can see what I mean..
100_3386.jpg

100_3390.jpg

Going to the local auto paint store and get some 800 and 1000 grit papper..
This blows about 40 hours of polishing and half of my supplies to polish with..

Have not given up yet.. Do like the polish look..

Hope everyone has a great week ahead..:usa:

Last edited: