1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Looks like a mirror thats been sand blasted.. :facepalm:
If you looks at the last pic in the upper part you can see all the pits and swirls.. The pic did not come close to showing this nightmare..:doh:

64osby

Admiral
Looks great from here. Can't see any swirls in the pics. But I could use some new glasses too. :embarassed:

jbcurt00

Staff member
sorry to hear the pix don't show the swirls, 'cause the pix look GREAT............

When doing it did you hear Mr Myagi saying wax on wax off :)

Does look good to me.....

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a mirror thats been sand blasted.. :facepalm:
If you looks at the last pic in the upper part you can see all the pits and swirls.. The pic did not come close to showing this nightmare..:doh:

I just stumbled into this project as a new contributor and Starcraft owner, and I am flabbergated by the quality of the work you are doing. It is spectacular. I want to polish my boat too. But.... There is no way you can call this a nightmare. This is aluminum and it will never be chrome plate for more than 20 minutes, and will get fingerprinted, and tarnished, and water spotted, and pick up dock rash, and need enough work to maintain to that standard that you might burn out. If you want to use the boat, I would say just take the superlative job you have done, call it good, and enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Just sayin', but then I am 66 and don't have a young man's energy and ideals.

Ron

dozerII

Admiral
She looks awesome Deck, and anyone that is looking close enough to see what your talking about will be looking for an eye Doctor:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I hear what others are saying about it looking good and that it looks good in the pics. I know how you feel. I am a perfectionist also. Some of us can't help it and the biggest thought (at least for me) on my mind when something like this comes up is that moment the boat is declared "done". You want to be able to step back, and stare for a long time, and feel like you did your best and admire your work. Before it even hits the water. I have a feeling Decker is thinking of that moment and not wanting to say "I should have gone down to 2000 grit". Maybe not. I could be totally wrong. :)

Keep at it. You'll get it.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
+1 ...I think it looks INSANE! ...and we get it...you're your toughest critic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a spot on the hull where you can always come back to if the "imperfections" still bother the carp out of you? Maybe see if time lowers your standards a bit :lol:

Decker83

Commander
Looks great from here. Can't see any swirls in the pics. But I could use some new glasses too. :embarassed:
Thanks 64.. I'm closer to it and there are the tiny little swirls that the orbital sander makes all over this side of the hull..

sorry to hear the pix don't show the swirls, 'cause the pix look GREAT............

When doing it did you hear Mr Myagi saying wax on wax off :)

Does look good to me.....
I think Mr Myagi has totally waxed me out so far.. Thanks for the complement..

I just stumbled into this project as a new contributor and Starcraft owner, and I am flabbergated by the quality of the work you are doing. It is spectacular. I want to polish my boat too. But.... There is no way you can call this a nightmare. This is aluminum and it will never be chrome plate for more than 20 minutes, and will get fingerprinted, and tarnished, and water spotted, and pick up dock rash, and need enough work to maintain to that standard that you might burn out. If you want to use the boat, I would say just take the superlative job you have done, call it good, and enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Just sayin', but then I am 66 and don't have a young man's energy and ideals.

Ron
Thanks Ron.. I will be turning 63 in November.. Young days are gone.. Just can't seam to put this much work in and it not turn out how I want it..
I know it won't stay this way for long, but I can take pics of it to remind me how it once looked..

She looks awesome Deck, and anyone that is looking close enough to see what your talking about will be looking for an eye Doctor:D
Thanks dozer.. The pics really don't show how bad it is.. (lol)

I hear what others are saying about it looking good and that it looks good in the pics. I know how you feel. I am a perfectionist also. Some of us can't help it and the biggest thought (at least for me) on my mind when something like this comes up is that moment the boat is declared "done". You want to be able to step back, and stare for a long time, and feel like you did your best and admire your work. Before it even hits the water. I have a feeling Decker is thinking of that moment and not wanting to say "I should have gone down to 2000 grit". Maybe not. I could be totally wrong. :)

Keep at it. You'll get it.
You got it djpeters, I spent to much time and effort for it to look as bad as it does.. I should have used 2000 grit.. I may be on my way to the supply house for some..

+1 ...I think it looks INSANE! ...and we get it...you're your toughest critic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a spot on the hull where you can always come back to if the "imperfections" still bother the carp out of you? Maybe see if time lowers your standards a bit :lol:
I just can't wait and see. I already know its way below my standards on this one.. Guess I have a large learning curve on polishing a boat..
Thanks for the encouragement..

He must still be out working on it.....
Yep!! Days are getting shorter so I don't get to work much on the weekdays.. But I did make some progress.

it looks great Decker! If you polish it any more it'll become invisible! 😳

Thanks hayko, I'm getting worried if I keep polishing I have some new holes to patch..LOL

Decker83

Commander
Have been working on the polishing.. Took some 600 grit and hand sanded the hull, then the 800 and final with 1000. 100_3393.jpg

Then hit it with the emery compound.. You can see how aggressive this compound is.. 100_3394.jpg

Don't have the pics for this weekend but have done the next to steps and going to the final step tomorrow.. Will have some new pics then..

Here is a pic that I drew a circle around the bad area on the hull.. Standing in the right place you could see all of tiny little **&^%(* circles..

Hope everyone had a great weekend..

100_3390 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok, it looked great before

Now looks great-erer?? :noidea:

Nice work, :clap2:

When you're in it, cruising your favorite waterway, you won't be able to see that area you circled. :rockon:

PM WOG and ask him about getting the BF perfect and banging it up on the maiden put in. Didn't even make it off the trailer the 1st time w/ out dinging the keel... It happens.

Doing really nice work. And on a tinny no less ;)

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Heck of a job when you can see individual shingles on the roof in the reflection. looks amazing. But I think I can see a finger print :eek:

dozerII

Admiral
Awesome job Decker, your making the polish on In The Red look pretty feeble

Decker83

Commander
Ok, it looked great before

Now looks great-erer?? :noidea:

Nice work, :clap2:

When you're in it, cruising your favorite waterway, you won't be able to see that area you circled. :rockon:

PM WOG and ask him about getting the BF perfect and banging it up on the maiden put in. Didn't even make it off the trailer the 1st time w/ out dinging the keel... It happens.

Doing really nice work. And on a tinny no less ;)
The last pic is just the first buff with the coarse rouge.. It definitely doesn't look better..:eek:
Yeppers I read what happened to WOG when he did it..:facepalm:
The little circles are gone now. But a whole new problem with it..
We will see if I make it to the finish or just paint it..:mad-new:

Heck of a job when you can see individual shingles on the roof in the reflection. looks amazing. But I think I can see a finger print :eek:
Thanks g0ne.. I think there is a few of those nasty finger prints and a few dings too..:D

Awesome job Decker, your making the polish on In The Red look pretty feeble
I am beginning to think you have a magic polisher or something..
Going to shoot you a pm..

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm on another forum where many polish their tin to an extremely high shine.

Several of them use a Cyclo polisher. Not cheap, but dual heads is supposed to help

Decker83

Commander
I'm on another forum where many polish their tin to an extremely high shine.

Several of them use a Cyclo polisher. Not cheap, but dual heads is supposed to help
I have read about those and watched them on utube.. They do cost a boat load of cash..
And they are probably the best on the market.. If I could only make the Admiral see things same way I do..:lol:

Decker83

Commander
No new boat pics.. Been raining all week and weekend.. Have found some new tricks to the polishing and they have worked well..
When the rain stops and things dry out, I will post some pics and tell of the tricks..
Have a great week I-boater friends..

laklvng7

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Decker!!!! your polish job looks fabulous!!! That's what i want to do mine. It will also have some red paint like dozers boat...maybe just a little more on the sides than his. What kind of polish are you using? Tell me your secret please!!! Awesome job and it shows!!! Can hardly wait to see it finished!!! Have a great day!!!