1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

That would have been a tough day on the water. Almost a hurricane - Yikes!

dozerII

Admiral

wow thats some insane wind,hope everyones ok

That would have been a tough day on the water. Almost a hurricane - Yikes!

Up here on the prairies it blows lot's and hard at times we are pretty much used to it. Lots of tractor trailer units get blown over west of Lethbridge during these real bad winds, but the wind tends to slow down a little by the time it gets to us. I don't go near the lake when she's blowing like that.

InMotion

Commander

Up here on the prairies it blows lot's and hard at times we are pretty much used to it. Lots of tractor trailer units get blown over west of Lethbridge during these real bad winds, but the wind tends to slow down a little by the time it gets to us. I don't go near the lake when she's blowing like that.

I can imagine that would create some pretty decent sized waves and make docking the boat a really interesting experience!

Wind speeds like that here in Ontario would result in a number of downed trees and more than a few warning messages.

Safety first... good thinking to stay off the lakes!!!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

The weather has said it's time to start fixing this boat!!!!
The out/drive is off and the tear down has begun. It's amazing what you find when you get into things. I can't believe how well this boat worked considering what I have already found. The shift cable was completely corroded through to the inner piece next to where it screws into the bell housing, there were only about three strands that kept it working. The o-ring that seals the upper housing water passage to the motor was split, the hose that carries the water to the motor was covered with cracks and loose at the top and obviously leaking. I will post some photos when I get back from the Thanks Giving long weekend Tuesday.

InMotion

Commander

The weather has said it's time to start fixing this boat!!!!
The out/drive is off and the tear down has begun. It's amazing what you find when you get into things. I can't believe how well this boat worked considering what I have already found. The shift cable was completely corroded through to the inner piece next to where it screws into the bell housing, there were only about three strands that kept it working. The o-ring that seals the upper housing water passage to the motor was split, the hose that carries the water to the motor was covered with cracks and loose at the top and obviously leaking. I will post some photos when I get back from the Thanks Giving long weekend Tuesday.

Yikes!!! Yup, what appears on the surface to be minor is often much, much worse once you get into it... looking forward to seeing those pics!!!

Have a great Thanksgiving there Glen! And a shout out to all fello Canuker's... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Yikes!!! Yup, what appears on the surface to be minor is often much, much worse once you get into it... looking forward to seeing those pics!!!

Have a great Thanksgiving there Glen! And a shout out to all fello Canuker's... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Jim

Thanks Jim and Back at you on the Happy Thanks Giving, just got back from 4 days in Alberta.

dozerII

Admiral

Here are the pics as promised. Lower shift cable (what's left of it), water feed hose, and the beginning of the destruction. Motor is ready to come out other than the fuel line.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wough, yah man, she's due for some repair. :blue:

GA_Boater

Looks like she missed a few annual maintenance procedures. Most of them from the looks. Was she laid up for long time?

dozerII

Admiral

Wough, yah man, she's due for some repair. :blue:

YUP!!

Looks like she missed a few annual maintenance procedures. Most of them from the looks. Was she laid up for long time?

The oil was changed often by the looks of it, but not the rubber components. She sat fro about 3 years before I rescued her. Motor is out and on the stand.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Dozer - Did you ever find affordable screws/bolts for the loose steering problem?

dozerII

Admiral

Dozer - Did you ever find affordable screws/bolts for the loose steering problem?

Hey GA, I just went to a bolts supply shop and purchased the right size stainless steel bolts and ny-lock nuts $3.78, No Way I was going to pay what Mercruiser wants.

Got the transom assembly off and am real surprized at the condition of the transom wood. As you remember from this picture

There is a great big ugly bead of silicone all the way around the assembly, what a needless waste of good bathroom sealant. Absolutely no sign of water leakage there. The leak was from the lower exhaust elbow it was loose on the transom assembly and the lower two clamps on the upper rubber bellows were loose. Once I get the gimble ring taken out of the transom assembly I will post some pics of the terrible wear in it, causing the loose steering.

GA_Boater

Yeah - 55 bucks each buys a lot of 5200. Even more bathtub caulk. :facepalm:

InMotion

Commander

Yikes! Glad you weren't driving when the cable let loose! Good decision to start the tear down... worth it for sure!

Interesting that the transom was in decent shape... how is the motor? It looks relatively clean from what I can see...

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Yikes! Glad you weren't driving when the cable let loose! Good decision to start the tear down... worth it for sure!

Interesting that the transom was in decent shape... how is the motor? It looks relatively clean from what I can see...

Jim

Motor is in great shape Jim, runs like a top.

dozerII

Admiral

Been a while but finally got some more done. Pictures of the hole in the boat and the loose steering.

I have been waiting for parts to fix the steering issue, I ordered from a boat parts wrecker I found in Ontario. They were on Ebay for a while then pulled out. They had a good feedback record on Ebay, but I'm not very satisfied with them, but we'll see.
I ordered a transom assembly that was nothing like the photo, quite a bit of corrosion and bearings that were rusted, after contacting them they said to send back the gimbal ring and they would make it right, Ya right, so after another $80.00 in shipping I got the same corroded gimble ring back with the bearing pressed out and the three broken trim, limit screws removed. I can make it work but it's still not right.

Here's a shot of the disassembled componets.

The next shot is of the old gimble ring and swivel pin you can really see the wear in the splines.

The new owner of the 201 is coming this weekend to pick her up, once she is out of the shop I can finish the tear down as I will have enough room.

GA_Boater

Sad and happy all rolled into one. The 201 goes to a new home :blue:, the hangar gains work room :joyous:. 80 bucks - Shipping rates up in the Northland are as high as the Northern Lights. :eek:

InMotion

Commander

Sad and happy all rolled into one. The 201 goes to a new home :blue:, the hangar gains work room :joyous:. 80 bucks - Shipping rates up in the Northland are as high as the Northern Lights. :eek:

+ 1 on GA's comments and Mr Jas.... It's sad to see that one go.... but a new restore awaits some of your Tin TLC...! :)

Hard to believe you'd be short on space in that big ole hanger... but with 2 boats in there, I can see how that might be an issue!

Too bad about the parts there... not brilliant service to say the least. Hmmmm... hopefully it gets better from here.

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Yikes, kinda sad right there eh? Give her a big hug for me before you send her off ok?:wave:

+ 1 on GA's comments and Mr Jas.... It's sad to see that one go.... but a new restore awaits some of your Tin TLC...! :)

Hard to believe you'd be short on space in that big ole hanger... but with 2 boats in there, I can see how that might be an issue!

Too bad about the parts there... not brilliant service to say the least. Hmmmm... hopefully it gets better from here.

Jim

I guess it is kinda like out with the new and in with the old LOL.

I shouldn't have run out of room in the hanger but the 201 takes up a lot of room and I also have the Johnson 70 and the 140 TofP on motor stands taking up real estate as well.