jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Hey Glen, your Merc parts are going to look spanken new, very nice:thumb:

Thanks for the heads up with whats on the way:smow::smow::smow:

InMotion

Commander

Yikes!!! That is butt cold man. Send it north or something!!!!

J.

dozerII

Admiral

I got the little Holiday out of the shop and out of the way and started to work on the 18. I build a couple of cradles for the stern using a couple of cheap 600lb furniture dollies from Princess auto.

Then I started getting the Holiday ready to come off the trailer, this is all by myself. Loosen the winch and gradually slide the boat back till you get to the balance point.

Continued

dozerII

Admiral

More

Okay so next to go in this post is a video off how it came off the trailer, not quite how it was supposed to happen but no one got hurt and the Holiday didn't suffer any damage.

Here it is after the unload,

The video will be a while loading.

:eek::facepalm:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have visions of the Jason Islander dance. :doh:

jbcurt00

Staff member

I like the twin cradles using dollies, nice work getting it unloaded. I promise to only snicker quietly to myself after the video loads.

Glad you & the boat escaped injury. Solo boat work isn't usually great fun, but sometimes it just plain sucks...

InMotion

Commander

Ok... so the back hit the dollies as expected... but me thinks either ya forgot to build the 3rd dolly or you were going for the "nose down" look! :)

Either way.... looking forward to seeing the video! Nice work on getting it off the trailer on your own. I don't know about you... but I always find getting it on the trailer is always a breeze compared to getting it off. Man I bet there were some interesting words used around the hanger when she ended up off the trailer!!

Glad to see you getting rolling on this one in the hanger!!

J.

dozerII

Admiral

I left the video loading from 8 am till 830 pm while I went to work and deer hunting, came back and it was only 35% done so I cancelled it. Gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nah, no sweat man, unloading boats in my world is a 50/50...

graceful no problem piece of cake/grunt groan fall down break something drop the boat

:rolleyes:

Gosh Glen, I sure do like the lines on that Holiday, such a pretty boat just as she sits. I know you'll make her even better:joyous:

dozerII

Admiral

Nah, no sweat man, unloading boats in my world is a 50/50...

graceful no problem piece of cake/grunt groan fall down break something drop the boat

:rolleyes:

Gosh Glen, I sure do like the lines on that Holiday, such a pretty boat just as she sits. I know you'll make her even better:joyous:

Thanks Jason, ya not pretty this time. I have unloaded quite a few of these without a problem but just because the camera was capturing it, You know.
I'm in the process of trying to re load the video, maybe later today.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Blame it on the video witness, they always make stuff go wrong. It's part of Murohy's Law, isn't it?

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Glen I haven't had much luck trying to uploading either, more importantly though did you get a deer.

dozerII

Admiral

Video finally uploaded, looks like it may be a while till they allow it to play, :sleeping:
Unload 010 - YouTube

The error of my ways was changing from setting the boat on old tires to setting it on the dollies, The jack was too far back so the boat just pivoted on it causing it keep tipping over.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice Glen I'll have to try that, LOL

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Glen, I nervously watched the video, afraid that the trailer would scoot forward before you had any forward cushion in place. Each time you let out a little winch line, I thought it was too much. I half expected you to be hanging from the tongue as it rose to the ceiling as the rollers rounded the stem. I shoulda known you had that under control. - Grandad

jbcurt00

Staff member

You remained remarkably calm under pressure :watermelon: Nice job working solo & I am SO glad I didn't have video running either time I've done something similar w/ a boat on, winching 1 onto or taking 1 off of a trailer. Those Kodak moments are profanity laced and definitely not family friendly, rants.

Might I suggest a lag screw eye into the back wall of the shop for de-trailering activities in the future. 2 separate lags spaced further apart the transom eyes, may kept it from tipping over, and would have made the drag of the trailer easier.

Like a good potato chip, you can't have just 1 (project on deck).......

Still, congrats on a successful dismount.

dozerII

Admiral

Very nice Glen I'll have to try that, LOL

LOL is right John

Glen, I nervously watched the video, afraid that the trailer would scoot forward before you had any forward cushion in place. Each time you let out a little winch line, I thought it was too much. I half expected you to be hanging from the tongue as it rose to the ceiling as the rollers rounded the stem. I shoulda known you had that under control. - Grandad

Hey Grandad, I have done the dismount this way a few times without incident. I will go back to using tires then my engine hoist to put it on the dollies DUH.

You remained remarkably calm under pressure :watermelon: Nice job working solo & I am SO glad I didn't have video running either time I've done something similar w/ a boat on, winching 1 onto or taking 1 off of a trailer. Those Kodak moments are profanity laced and definitely not family friendly, rants.

Might I suggest a lag screw eye into the back wall of the shop for de-trailering activities in the future. 2 separate lags spaced further apart the transom eyes, may kept it from tipping over, and would have made the drag of the trailer easier.

Like a good potato chip, you can't have just 1 (project on deck).......

Still, congrats on a successful dismount.

Like I said to Grandad they usually come off as planned but the dollies made me look bad. It took a whole lot of restraint to keep the language rated for family,:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I gotta tell ya Glen, watching you hustle back and forth and around and back was painful and nice at the same time. Painful cuz, boy, it sure would be nice to have another set of hands there to help! Nice cuz at least I know I'm not the only one who grunts through stuff solo, eh.

InMotion

Commander

Glen man.... one word there for ya.... persistence!!! Been there by myself trying to get things figured out when things don't go exactly to plan! I think that if you had the front jack another foot forward the back wouldn't have come unloaded.... but the dollies are tricky to work with.... I ended up building my little mini trailer as a result of the Jupiter tipping when I was in the bow and coming off the front dolly!

Thing was I wasn't video taping at the time.... which would have been quite comedic and I am pretty sure my words were not entirely "G" rated!!! :)

Props to you for keeping cool and calm and getting the boat settled on the floor --- right side up!!

Take care,

Jim