1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Thanks BF, feeling pretty good actually.

SigSaurP229

Commander

She looks great Glen, I have pulled the eh its just a fishing boat, to back out and do it again more times than I care to admit. It was pretty funny actually the admiral and I had a big discussion about how I wasn't going to do certain things just for her to come home and find that exact part in pieces in the shop getting a makeover.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Sig, ya a guys gotta bit the bullet and do it while it's apart or it would drive ya bonkers.

SigSaurP229

Commander

I agree man its one of those things that you can be cruising down the lake in your nice beautifull boat, grabbing the envy of all the glassers on the lake, and you just know that deep down you left a scratch, or that one little piece of ply is just not as sealed as you would like, that one wire that you wonder if you crimped it properly, but who am I to say that to you, I've not even splashed one and you have a whole fleet, its also that kind of stuff that gets you a SOTY award. You do great quality work Glenn and it shows.

dozerII

Admiral

I agree man its one of those things that you can be cruising down the lake in your nice beautifull boat, grabbing the envy of all the glassers on the lake, and you just know that deep down you left a scratch, or that one little piece of ply is just not as sealed as you would like, that one wire that you wonder if you crimped it properly, but who am I to say that to you, I've not even splashed one and you have a whole fleet, its also that kind of stuff that gets you a SOTY award. You do great quality work Glenn and it shows.

Thanks for the compliments Sig.

barato2

Commander

there's a wonderful book by John Hersey entitled Under the Eye of the Storm which has as one of its themes the protagonist's knowledge, as they ride out a hurricane on what was supposed to have been a day sail, of the things on his boat he hadn't fixed, and his imagination (or is it?) that he can hear/feel things coming apart. highly recommended, and good thing to kill time til you have soft water and all-clear from doc.

dozerII

Admiral

there's a wonderful book by John Hersey entitled Under the Eye of the Storm which has as one of its themes the protagonist's knowledge, as they ride out a hurricane on what was supposed to have been a day sail, of the things on his boat he hadn't fixed, and his imagination (or is it?) that he can hear/feel things coming apart. highly recommended, and good thing to kill time til you have soft water and all-clear from doc.

Thanks B2, sounds like a good book, that quite a few of us on here can relate too. Doc gave me two weeks off yesterday, so ya I have some hours to fill in.

dozerII

Admiral

Been out in the hanger doing a little of the easy stuff, sit on a stool and wire the instruments and dash, assemble the windshield. Boredom sucks.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glen, that dash wiring is too clean. I feel like a hack just looking at that work!

barato2

Commander

dang, it's even beautiful and shiny UNDER THE DASH. how we gonna compete with that level of excellence?

agree with cloud, nice wiring work too!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks great ^^^ nice work for an armchair SC resto guy ;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Two weeks off of work? OK, let's get to work!

Kidden man, take it easy, pick away at the small stuff just like you are buddy, looking good!:encouragement:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice job on the wiring. Nothing better than a clean, neat wiring layout.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And the black windshield is perfect. It's good to repair a scratched, dull, used up frame so it looks great. Is the Admiral happy with it?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

^^^^She probably won't be when she comes home from work and sees that he was out there tinkering rather than kicking back and resting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

^^^^She probably won't be when she comes home from work and sees that he was out there tinkering rather than kicking back and resting.

Now that's true!

InMotion

Commander

Looking really sharp there Glen! Black windshield looks great too... good decision to ditch the alum color and go black for sure!

This work is part of the "recuperation therapy" the doctor ordered... right?! :)

J.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

real nice dozer, how did you go about doing the window frame. looks great with the red

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks guys, the Admiral is real happy with the black windshield frame and so am I. The Doc said just to take it easy and don't lift anything heavy so I'm okay there and the Admiral is about ready to boot my butt out to the shop permanently, ( after being together for so many years I know just the buttons to push so she wishes I was out of her hair):D

CC the windshield fame is fairly time consuming but not hard to do. The big thing is keeping all the parts for each panel together and the glass marked for orientation and placement. To get the panels apart drill the rivets in the corners and remove the snaps that may be mounted in the corners. The bottom and top aluminum frames are ribbed inside to hold the rubber and are easiest to slide of to one side or the other, the sides just pull off. You will be shocked how much mud and dirt comes out of the channels. The center window hinge pin is pushed in from the bottom then the aluminum is crimped slightly, open it up with a punch then tap it down from the top till you can grab it to pull it out.
I sanded all the frames with 220 filled un needed holes with JB, primed with Self Etching and sprayed three coats of Rusto Black Hammered on.
My center window had worn down the lower hinge mount about a 1/4" over the years. I used two cut down aluminum screen door bushings to lift it back up to level with the top of the port side windshield.

myboat@i

Seaman Apprentice

Glen the boat looks awsome the attention too detail is not surprising you come by it naturally when dad had his heart attack he was out shoveling snow a week later lol, you take it easy Glen thats gonna be be one heck of a boat, someone is gonna be happy with that one when you sell her and move on to the next masterpeice lol... you take it easy non off the hard stuff for a bit. Greg.