1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Progress from the last couple days when work permits. Side panels and dash cover upholstery complete.

If anyone would like I can do an explanation with photos on how to do the three color side panels.

Last edited:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

WOW, looks great!!!! I would like an explanation of how you did those side panels. I will be attempting to do my own and haven't done any upholstery/sewing before.

InMotion

Commander

1 word....

Awesome!!!

Lovin' the look and design!

I think you are gonna have to keep this one a loooooong time now buddy!

Jim

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Awesome Glen. Good tri-color combo.

The dash is gonna be top notch, too. What is the pop-top cut out to the left of the steering hole? I'm drawing a complete blank.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Really sharp color combination! Super-spiffy! The upholstery work looks Pro! :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral

WOW, looks great!!!! I would like an explanation of how you did those side panels. I will be attempting to do my own and haven't done any upholstery/sewing before.

1 word....

Awesome!!!

Lovin' the look and design!

I think you are gonna have to keep this one a loooooong time now buddy!

Jim

Awesome Glen. Good tri-color combo.

The dash is gonna be top notch, too. What is the pop-top cut out to the left of the steering hole? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Thanks guys, I will post up the pics and procedure in the Am.
GA the hole to the left of the wheel is for my ignition switch and low oil warning light and buzzer.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome!!!! Glen very nice.

GA_Boater

Thanks, Glen. Guess I'm not used to seeing the back side. :cold:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are seriously flyen Glen, you'll be all hooked up ready to roll months before ice out!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good!

tri-color side vinyl turned out great. Nice fab & upholstery work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know that a tin SC has had such a snazzy interior. Nice!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sharp looking vinyl work ya did there. Very nice.

dozerII

Admiral

dozerII

Admiral

So upholstering the side panels, once you have the lay out you want, these ones I transferred the angle from the ends to make three equal length panels and marked the location of the seams on the ply with a line. Cut your vinyl accurately allowing at least 2.5 inches around the staple sides and exactly 3/8" for the sewn seam. (Important note the vinyl stretches more in one direction than the other, the way with the least stretch has to run front to back on the panels once they are sewn) In the 1st photo you can see the three pieces layed together with the 3/8"seam marked on them.

Next, lay the first two panels together face to face aligning the edges for the seam and sew the line straight is very important.

Do the same with the third panel.

This is what you should end up with.

Continued.

dozerII

Admiral

Next is cut the foam I used 3/8"but you could use 1/4". Again accurate cuts are very important, I cut the foam too fit the entire panel then split into the 3 sections. Mark them 1,2,3 for orientation.

Next lay your sewn panel on the backer board aligned with the line you marked earlier. The next photo shows the line prior to stapling.

You want the sewn seam thread line exactly over top of your pencil line. Then staple it in place with a continuous row of staples.

Next using 3M spray 90 adhesive glue the center #2 piece of foam in place.

Now pull the next sewn seam to the second line and staple with a row of staples.

Continued

dozerII

Admiral

Next step is glue in the remaining 2 pieces of foam, then flip the panel on the bench with the bottom side up.

Then from each end pull the vinyl around on the ends with one staple in each corner making sure to pull with the same force on each one. Flip it over to check that it is pulled straight. If your happy with that then the sewn seams are next, they are stapled down facing one way or the other and when you pull the seam around the back you must make sure they stay in the same direction.

Pull all four seams around setting the tension (stretch) in the vinyl and staple in place.

Now using the stapled seams as a reference pull the remaining edge around and staple working your way to the corners. Remember on the corners some material will fold under other, you want the pocket opening that this forms to always face down so water runs off and not into the pocket.

After all the stapling

Shifter hole cut out is a little tricky but not bad, prior to cutting remove the foam in the hole, then spray the edges of wood around the hole as well as the vinyl in the hole with spray 90, then make star cuts in the vinyl with a knife staying 3/4" in from the edge of the hole. Then pull the vinyl up through the hole and press into the glue and staple, Eazy Peazy Ya Right.

There you have it.

GA_Boater

You make it look SO easy. :dizzy:

Nice, Glen!

InMotion

Commander

Great tutorial there Glen. You really do make it look just THAT easy. No doubt the first one didn't quite go that way years ago... but now, man that looks to be as easy as it gets.

Thanks.

Jim

barato2

Commander

yeah, no kidding. REALLY nice work.

dozerII

Admiral

You make it look SO easy. :dizzy:

Nice, Glen!

Great tutorial there Glen. You really do make it look just THAT easy. No doubt the first one didn't quite go that way years ago... but now, man that looks to be as easy as it gets.

Thanks.

Jim

yeah, no kidding. REALLY nice work.

Thanks guys, it really is pretty easy after you do a few.:facepalm: