1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Okay guys you talked me into it gray Carbon Fiber ordered, Canadian made as well.
B2 not 4 cams, but 4 pistons.:D

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Jim, should see how it looks in a week. Now on to varnishing side panels.

barato2

Commander

can't you AT LEAST paint the valve cover crackle finish red? ;)

dozerII

Admiral

Couple things that might be of interest to my fellow Starcrafters. I have been trying to locate a oil change kit for the 120 that empties through the drain plug. MPI makes one but it is a little pricey and they want $60 to ship it to Canada. Through some searching and the old fellow that owns the local auto parts store we found Fram makes a kit SD1, there are a bunch of them for sale on fleabay if anyone is interested, but my local guy got me one for $22. Most of the reviews for them say they are slow to drain, but that really doesn't matter in a boat.

After rebuilding four of these boats I finally ran into an easy way to fasten the side panels, this is how they were done on the Holiday, the only thing I changed was to counter sink the T-nuts just to keep them off the aluminum gunwale sides. When I install the screws I will add a little Loctite just to ensure the bolts don't turn while installing the panels.

And last but not least this is a little trick I learned building RC planes, when putting wood screws in ply, drill your pilot hole, thread the screw in then remove it, apply a little CA glue to the screw hole then reinstall the screw, it reinforces the threads in the ply and acts as a Loctite for wood.

barato2

Commander

nice. i can use that CA glue trick in places besides boats too.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

great tips! I'll be using the CA glue idea.

I use a fumoto quick drain valve on one of my cars to change the oil, works great but does take about 2-3X as long to drain the oil.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat is looking awesome. Love the color scheme. Anxious to see how your dash turns out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, EZ stopped by for a hollar, nice:joyous:

Glen, I ran with the Sierra oil drain kit on the V6 and the V8 nice quality stuff but of course it was twice what you spent on that Fram kit. Will the hose be long enough to reach through your bilge drain buddy?

Have a great weekend man:thumb:

dozerII

Admiral

Boat is looking awesome. Love the color scheme. Anxious to see how your dash turns out.

Thanks EZ, haven't seen you around for a while good to see you back.

Hey, EZ stopped by for a hollar, nice:joyous:

Glen, I ran with the Sierra oil drain kit on the V6 and the V8 nice quality stuff but of course it was twice what you spent on that Fram kit. Will the hose be long enough to reach through your bilge drain buddy?

Have a great weekend man:thumb:

After all my searching I didn't know Sierra made an oil change kit.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That Sierra might be less of a pain for ya as it has a cap on the end of the nice long hose. With the Fram I'd guess you'd need to extend that hose and cap it somehow?? Hassell factor might be worth something anyhow eh.

dozerII

Admiral

That Sierra might be less of a pain for ya as it has a cap on the end of the nice long hose. With the Fram I'd guess you'd need to extend that hose and cap it somehow?? Hassell factor might be worth something anyhow eh.

The Fram one has a cap that screws on the plug in the block as a positive seal, the hose I can replace with a longer one real easy, but it has a cap that screws on the one in the oil pan that has a depressor that opens a vale in the plug.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Cool, yah, you wouldn't be getting anything extra for the Sierra one then:thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about Sierra, but the Fram is nice. Take off the cap, connect the quick connect hose, drain, pull the Q/D with no drips and cap it. It's a nice system as long as the drain is accessible. Now with a remote oil filter, no mess oil/filter change.