1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

A couple more pics I temporarily put the windshield on to check the shape of the dash cover.

Then had to put a seat in and make motor boat sounds.

And last but not least I did a trial fit of the rear deck to see how the salvaged gas tank from the Flower Bed boat would fit.

InMotion

Commander

Absolutely stunning Glen! I would have sat there for a loooooong time making motor sound! Did you steer the boat with the new wheel too???? :)

Really like the diamond plate.... touch o class right there!

J.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm so plane jane, I could never pull off the red, but man, that really pops! Nice buddy:encouragement:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Those stairs do look like a major P.I.T.A..yet they're flawless!

At this pace, you won't have to make motor sounds for much longer. :bolt:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking dash work all around. Well done!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The red dash pops, Glen. Careful with the seat. When you're makin' motorboat noises and lean back because of the powerful simulated acceleration - Wham back on yer kiester. :lol:

dozerII

Admiral

Absolutely stunning Glen! I would have sat there for a loooooong time making motor sound! Did you steer the boat with the new wheel too???? :)

Really like the diamond plate.... touch o class right there!

J.

I'm so plane jane, I could never pull off the red, but man, that really pops! Nice buddy:encouragement:

Those stairs do look like a major P.I.T.A..yet they're flawless!

At this pace, you won't have to make motor sounds for much longer. :bolt:

Good looking dash work all around. Well done!

The red dash pops, Glen. Careful with the seat. When you're makin' motorboat noises and lean back because of the powerful simulated acceleration - Wham back on yer kiester. :lol:

Thanks everyone, gonna have to get a seat bolted in so it won't slide around.:D

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well done.....I like the diamond plate too.

dozerII

Admiral

Todays big step, been a long time rattling around in the noggin. I was seriously thinking about using lokonn's fiberglass consul idea, but just couldn't figure how to tie it into the full dash. So this is what I have come up with. The curve on the top of the instrument panel will get tied into the top of the bow deck with a curved piece of aluminum, then the padded dash cover will get trimmed to form a tight fit around the aluminum instrument cover, I think, hard to explain.

Here's a few photos, I want your opinions.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think it'll look GREAT.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Nice Glen, should look awesome when you're done, you even left a spot for a stereo on the right bottom of the dash, I like the diamond plate on the bow.

dozerII

Admiral

I think it'll look GREAT.

Thanks jb

Nice Glen, should look awesome when you're done, you even left a spot for a stereo on the right bottom of the dash, I like the diamond plate on the bow.

Thanks John, I left that piece of diamond plate on the bow to see if anyone would notice it, good catch. That will replace that ugly vinyl that was there, just have to figure out trim for the edges of it.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Really nice, original design Glenn!

That high-speed / low-drag switch panel I assume goes in the lower-right?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I went back and looked at yesterday's pics and compared with today's pics. The gauge arc looks tons better than the old layout. And opened up the dash for the switch panel, other switches and a tune maker. I like it a lot. Now where is the Humminbird gonna go?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I want your opinions

Brew up some strong black coffee Glen, I'll be by in the morning, we'll hang out and chew the fat:ranger:

dozerII

Admiral

Really nice, original design Glenn!

That high-speed / low-drag switch panel I assume goes in the lower-right?

Thanks Bf, yup on the switch panel.

I went back and looked at yesterday's pics and compared with today's pics. The gauge arc looks tons better than the old layout. And opened up the dash for the switch panel, other switches and a tune maker. I like it a lot. Now where is the Humminbird gonna go?

Thanks GA, I'm thinking the FF is going to go on the shelf or the dash just to the port side of the center section of the window.

Brew up some strong black coffee Glen, I'll be by in the morning, we'll hang out and chew the fat:ranger:

Coffee's set on auto, I will be ready. ;)

InMotion

Commander

I think whatchagot going will look terrific! Just throwing it out there... but have you thought of a piece of cherry veneer for the face of the dash and then use the alum channel to conceal the edge --- just like you did on the console in the center. Few coats of spar and that dash would pop! and tie in really nice with the red of the cherry and the padded red of the rest of the dash!

Just throwin' out there --- seeing if it sticks!

Love the design though!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

I think whatchagot going will look terrific! Just throwing it out there... but have you thought of a piece of cherry veneer for the face of the dash and then use the alum channel to conceal the edge --- just like you did on the console in the center. Few coats of spar and that dash would pop! and tie in really nice with the red of the cherry and the padded red of the rest of the dash!

Just throwin' out there --- seeing if it sticks!

Love the design though!

Jim

I get what your stikin out there, I will have to mull it over a bit, so far there is no visible wood on the project. HMMMMM

Watch out, Dozer. He'll have you cutting the bow open. :laugh:

Not going to be any open bow here, tried that a few times already:D