1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Glen - SHHHH! I got a secret stash. :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member

They are nutty around here during Ginseng season.

Season? There's a season? Yep, a possession limit & tags of sorts. Like gator tags, except you, well, you know, it's Ginseng. :facepalm:

Gotta fill your quota this year or they may trim your tags for next year.

Root weight receipts & registered Ginseng dealers. Harvest here, have to sell it here. It's stupid complicated.

BTW: Harvest is allowed only in season: Sept 1 thru Nov 30. They must be 5yr old or older roots, if there are seed pods, they must be planted at the harvest site.

Sorry about that ^^^ :watermelon:

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Really nice steering wheel Glen, going to add some real pizzazz to your color scheme.

dozerII

Admiral

Glen - SHHHH! I got a secret stash. :lol:

I kinda figured ya did, :cool:

They are nutty around here during Ginseng season.

Season? There's a season? Yep, a possession limit & tags of sorts. Like gator tags, except you, well, you know, it's Ginseng. :facepalm:

Gotta fill your quota this year or they may trim your tags for next year.

Root weight receipts & registered Ginseng dealers. Harvest here, have to sell it here. It's stupid complicated.

BTW: Harvest is allowed only in season: Sept 1 thru Nov 30. They must be 5yr old or older roots, if there are seed pods, they must be planted at the harvest site.

Sorry about that ^^^ :watermelon:

Jeeesh, I never would of thought you knew so much about Ginseng, is that where the boat funding comes from? :D

Really nice steering wheel Glen, going to add some real pizzazz to your color scheme.

Thanks John, it should look real good.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Glen, I was wondering if you could also get a little more length on your steering cable/tube such that the wheel could be moved off centre in the dashboard. Mine was already that way from new. And no armrest and perhaps a wider beam. What were they thinking? - Grandad

dozerII

Admiral

Glen, I was wondering if you could also get a little more length on your steering cable/tube such that the wheel could be moved off centre in the dashboard. Mine was already that way from new. And no armrest and perhaps a wider beam. What were they thinking? - Grandad

Thanks for the reply Grandad, much better design on yours from the factory. I am planning on moving the wheel over a little, I have a new helm and cable as the old one was worn right out. My plastic instrument panel is all cracked as well so I am working on some wobbly pop ideas for that as well.

jbcurt00

Staff member

No ginseng collecting for me.

But I have sangers, rampers (strong, odoriferous wild leeks) & mushroom foragers working for me.

If you have the patience, I suspect you could fab a console setup like lokonns w/ some wood, fleece and resin. Probably could make a complete console w/ tray, glovebox & everything all the way across the beam of the boat. Ya certainly have the skill set needed.

barato2

Commander

i'm with JB. any time you have an excuse to replace fake wood with the real stuff.............:clap2:

dozerII

Admiral

No ginseng collecting for me.

But I have sangers, rampers (strong, odoriferous wild leeks) & mushroom foragers working for me.

If you have the patience, I suspect you could fab a console setup like lokonns w/ some wood, fleece and resin. Probably could make a complete console w/ tray, glovebox & everything all the way across the beam of the boat. Ya certainly have the skill set needed.

I checked out his method of building the new consoles and was real impressed.

i'm with JB. any time you have an excuse to replace fake wood with the real stuff.............:clap2:

+1000 on that! Go real! :)

J.

I'm wrestling with whether would real wood will fit in the color and layout of this build, the only place I could use some would be the dash and that would be only a small amount. HMMMMMMMMMMM

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Mornin' Glen!

I'm wrestling with whether would real wood will fit in the color and layout of this build, the only place I could use some would be the dash and that would be only a small amount. HMMMMMMMMMMM

Funny you mention this Glen. Not more than 5 seconds ago I was in the garage, drinking coffee, staring at my consoles sitting in the Islander, thinking...

"Hmmmmm, I think I might like to have just a little bit of wood there..."

So ya, I think I'm going to go that route myself anyway.

:encouragement:

dozerII

Admiral

Mornin' Glen!

Funny you mention this Glen. Not more than 5 seconds ago I was in the garage, drinking coffee, staring at my consoles sitting in the Islander, thinking...

"Hmmmmm, I think I might like to have just a little bit of wood there..."

So ya, I think I'm going to go that route myself anyway.

:encouragement:

Morning Jason, I hear ya, sitting looking with a coffee in hand is a very important part of the process. Problem is I just come up with a bunch of ideas and don't seem to make my decisions till I spend the evening sitting with a wobbly pop in hand.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

HA!:watermelon:

Yah, I make my best decisions fist thing in the morning, strong coffee going down the hatch.

In the evening, it always takes me twice as long to do stuff and my grey matter just gets all fuzzy usually leading to bad decisions.

If it helps ya any think through what you got going....

I'm nearly certain I'm headed for a mahogany swim platform. I don't want a lot of wood in my boat but I think just a bit on the dash will tie in nicely, knowhattamean.

Just spitballen eh:joyous:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ya gotta have a little wood for flotation, don't you? Might as well use a bit on the dash/console. :joyous:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Glen, I think you're right. I'm no expert, but the only place I would consider using real wood on our Starcraft aluminum boats would be behind the instrument cluster. Anywhere else, is asking for damage when the neighbour's kid you invited boating slides a tackle box or an anchor on the wood while trying to be helpful. (Sometimes it's hard to complain to his mom; she's the one in bikini and stilettos.) I wouldn't use a soft wood anywhere on a boat.

Traditional marine woods have been chosen for their inherent properties to resist water damage, their strength and impact resistance as well as appearance. Jas, in my opinion, if you can't get teak (pricey, new or used) your choice to use mahogany is a good substitute, though it can rot if it stays wet. - Grandad

dozerII

Admiral

Glen, I think you're right. I'm no expert, but the only place I would consider using real wood on our Starcraft aluminum boats would be behind the instrument cluster. Anywhere else, is asking for damage when the neighbour's kid you invited boating slides a tackle box or an anchor on the wood while trying to be helpful. (Sometimes it's hard to complain to his mom; she's the one in bikini and stilettos.) I wouldn't use a soft wood anywhere on a boat.

Traditional marine woods have been chosen for their inherent properties to resist water damage, their strength and impact resistance as well as appearance. Jas, in my opinion, if you can't get teak (pricey, new or used) your choice to use mahogany is a good substitute, though it can rot if it stays wet. - Grandad

Your right Grandad, if there will be any wood in this boat it won't be much and what there is will be Teak, other than the ply that is sealed in Spar.

dozerII

Admiral

Some more progress.
After lots of experimenting and a few evenings sitting with a wobbly pop, this id the product and method I have chosen to glue down my floor vinyl. On my test pieces it holds better than spray 90 and vinyl adhesive. The big plus is no odor or fumes.

The only thing I was worried about was the un-forgiveness of contact cement, and I found a way to overcome that. Here's the steps I used.

Cut your vinyl to fit, then lay it out on the floor using heavy weights ( I used 12v Batteries ) to stretch it tight and hold it flat.
I then layed a 2x4 as long as the flat floor would allow just to the starboard side of the ski locker, then I place three 74lb batts on the 2x4 too hold it and the vinyl tight to the floor. (I forgot to take a picture of this)
Next remove any weight you have on the port side and pull the vinyl back over the starboard side and clamp it up. as seen in the next 2 pics.

Next spray the vinyl and the exposed floor with glue, the vinyl will need two coats, let it dry as per the instructions, mine took about 20 minutes, a few areas where there was little air flow were not quite dry so I hit them with a heat gun so they would catch up.

The next step is the crucial one, using roll poly cut to size one to cover the front half and one to cover the rear half of the deck that has dry glue on it. I forgot to photo the first half so these two pics are of the second side going down.

Once you have the poly layed out flat on the glued floor, pulled the glued vinyl back over the poly covered floor, smoothing out any wrinkles.

Continued next post.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

I like it! How viscous was that contact cement? Did it work good in that sprayer, or did it require some thinning?

dozerII

Admiral

Gently pull one piece of poly out and starting from the center roll down the vinyl with a Formica roller, when that end is done pull the other piece of poly out and roll it from the center out.

Pull your 2X4 and weights off the opposite side and cover the completed side with poly, this will let you pull the unglued side over top, spray it and the floor. Once it dry just do the same as you did on the previous side, lay the poly smooth out the vinyl then pull the poly one piece at a time rolling down the vinyl.

Finished product.

I have been fretting about this for days, needlessly as this was the easiest floor vinyl jobs I have done on any of the boats, not one glitch.

The edges in the bow look a little ragged, but they will get trimmed up when the carpet goes in.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

I like it! How viscous was that contact cement? Did it work good in that sprayer, or did it require some thinning?

The sprayer has a 1.8 mm nozzle and the glue although quite thick sprayed real good at about 70 psi. A big plus is with the glue being water based I emptied the gun and put it in a sink of hot water and Dawn and it cleaned up just like new.