1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

barato2

Commander
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

If you peek in real hard under the deck at the front of the engine compartment you can see her showing a little pink

steady there, Cap'n, i thought this was supposed to be a fambly oriented forum, not Hustler......;)

InMotion

Commander

Looks really sharp Glen. Question for ya... last boat, I counter sunk the floor rivets... I noticed you didn't. How do you find that with the vinyl... does it really matter? Is there a preference to not counter sinking them from your perspective? Just curious.

Very pro looking job man! You should be happy with that job!

Take care,

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

If you peek in real hard under the deck at the front of the engine compartment you can see her showing a little pink

steady there, Cap'n, i thought this was supposed to be a fambly oriented forum, not Hustler......;)

I just knew someone would take that down under, but who would of thought it would be you B2. :facepalm:

Ya know, Tin Rustler just might be right appropriate for the 'sneaking' them across the border 1 at a time guy.
Now I'm a Tin Rustler, I spose, but it won't be happening for a while with our devalued $

Looks really sharp Glen. Question for ya... last boat, I counter sunk the floor rivets... I noticed you didn't. How do you find that with the vinyl... does it really matter? Is there a preference to not counter sinking them from your perspective? Just curious.

Very pro looking job man! You should be happy with that job!

Take care,

Jim

Thanks Jim, I have not countersunk the rivets on any of the boats, and never had a problem, you have to look pretty close on the finished job to see them, and they are thin enough that you don't notice them when you walk on them. It is a lot of extra work to countersink and fill the head, that I don't feel is necessary.

dozerII

Admiral

Progress is a good thing.
Transom is sealed and installed, motor bay bilge area painted.

Have been placing all the old side panels and dash in trying to figure out the new interior and it gave me the chance to sit on the crate and make motor boat sounds.:D

One of the issues I had with the factory designed interior was the way the side panels incorporated an arrest and in doing so, they mounted the shifter below the armrest and too far to the left, which meant to shift you had to move your knee away and reach down to go WOT. As you can see from the red lines in this photo even the seat has to be mounted off set from the center of the steering wheel to allow enough room for the shifter.

From a different angle. the arm rest is over 3" wide and too low to use any how.

Continued

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Continued from previous post.

So after lots of thinking and a few wobbly pops last night, I came up with a plan, eliminate the armrests, and move the shifter up about six inches and over two, this will allow me to position the seat centered on the wheel and get the sifter to a more comfortable spot. To do this I am cutting the side brace and moving it in at an angle as shown in this photo.

I removed the shelf and trimmed it down as well.

Here's a comparison between the port and starboard side, the port side being modified already.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great solution to your issue Glen. Man, you are flyen on this project!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Sweet fix! The starcraft designers didn't account for the fact that you guys have like 5 layers of clothes on either :lol:

does the "motorboat" gain RPM's with more wobbly pops? :p

dozerII

Admiral

Great solution to your issue Glen. Man, you are flyen on this project!

Thanks Jason, soft waters coming faster than you think.

Sweet fix! The starcraft designers didn't account for the fact that you guys have like 5 layers of clothes on either :lol:

does the "motorboat" gain RPM's with more wobbly pops? :p

Five layers of cloths, what you talking about?? the only time we would be wearing that many is in the winter and I'd have to shed all them so I didn't overheat while chopping a hole big enough to put the boat in, so ya that excuse doesn't cut it.:laugh:

InMotion

Commander

Nice Glen. I'm thinking that the StarCraft guys didn't have access to crates and didn't like motor boat sounds like us guys.... otherwise, they wouldn't have made such a poor seating position!

Nice, simple solution.

J.

barato2

Commander

another nice elegant solution to another "why on earth did they do it that way at the factory" head scratcher. i have fairly regular spinal issues, and that offset seat would drive me nuts after 1/2 hr

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice solution Glen. I need to get me some of those Canadian wobbly pops!

barato2

Commander

are we saying that's Glen's secret? he gulps a brew, the Popeye music starts to play, and then he flips the boat single handed?

dozerII

Admiral

Nice Glen. I'm thinking that the StarCraft guys didn't have access to crates and didn't like motor boat sounds like us guys.... otherwise, they wouldn't have made such a poor seating position!

Nice, simple solution.

J.

Thanks Jim, your right if they had sat in the seat they would have seen the problem.

another nice elegant solution to another "why on earth did they do it that way at the factory" head scratcher. i have fairly regular spinal issues, and that offset seat would drive me nuts after 1/2 hr

Thanks B2

Nice solution Glen. I need to get me some of those Canadian wobbly pops!

Thanks cj, Canadian beer is 5% alc. so it takes less of them too get creative.

barato2;4476911]are we saying that's Glen's secret? he gulps a brew, the Popeye music starts to play, and then he flips the boat single handed?

No Popeye music but I do need Inmotion's help.

Postman came with some bling for the Holiday. Love it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ that'll look GREAT w/ that Red & White upholstery (right, I'm not confused, that red&white is for this boat?)

Ummph... 5%, that oughta tell ya somethin.......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a purty wheel. Gonna fit in nice. :D

barato2

Commander

you're replacing the Lump o Chebby with a Lambo powerplant to go with that wheel, right?

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great progress and she is looking fine. That is one purdy wheel!! I am glad I am not the only one that derives inspiration and creativity after consuming a few beverages of choice. (I haven't yet reached the vroom vroom stage yet though but that is coming soon)

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

^^^ that'll look GREAT w/ that Red & White upholstery (right, I'm not confused, that red&white is for this boat?)

Ummph... 5%, that oughta tell ya somethin.......

Interior colors are red, white and black vinyl, floor is shark Nautalex, and gunwale sides are charcoal carpet, boy did I complicate that. :very_drunk:

That's a purty wheel. Gonna fit in nice. :D

Thanks Ga, by the way are you into that Ginsing harvest thing on that new reality show Appalachian Outlaws. :facepalm:

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Thanks Jim

you're replacing the Lump o Chebby with a Lambo powerplant to go with that wheel, right?

Boy I wish

Great progress and she is looking fine. That is one purdy wheel!! I am glad I am not the only one that derives inspiration and creativity after consuming a few beverages of choice. (I haven't yet reached the vroom vroom stage yet though but that is coming soon)

Thanks WW, all planning goes better with beer, the key is to quit drinking while you still remember what you planned.