1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

InMotion

Commander
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

No more indecision, cut out, glued and clamped. :grouphug:

Good. We were getting worried... it was like a whole couple of hours without a decision! :) We would have had to send and "intervention" crew to get you through it! :) :)

Glad your moving forward!

J.

barato2

Commander

you of course know Jim is joking here, cuz by the time the team could shovel their way to your door, you'll have the resto done and the next one started. prolly collect a few more SOTY awards too by then. :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'm late to the party, but you did the right thing by making a new transom.
The old one probably had even 10 plus years left on it..
But your new one has 38 plus..lol

dozerII

Admiral

dang, you work too fast. i was going to suggest that a layer of glass cloth between the 2 halves and then glue em with epoxy would work fine to make up the 1/8". but your way will work great too, and prolly easier to reinstall

Make hay when the sun shine, I would be using epoxy if I could get it up where I am, just too mush $$$, Using the Metric 3/4 ply and a scab of metric 5/8 with the transom skin gives me 2 1/8 " right where I want to be.

Good. We were getting worried... it was like a whole couple of hours without a decision! :) We would have had to send and "intervention" crew to get you through it! :) :)

Glad your moving forward!

J.

Indecision keeps we awake at night, if I don't get sleep at night I'm tired and that hinder my ability to work on the boat :D so you can see logic tells me I had to decide fast. :facepalm:

you of course know Jim is joking here, cuz by the time the team could shovel their way to your door, you'll have the resto done and the next one started. prolly collect a few more SOTY awards too by then. :D

No joking b2, hardly any snow here, the wind has been blowing so hard it has blown all the snow east to Jim and the guys in the Midwest in the form of snow storms.

I'm late to the party, but you did the right thing by making a new transom.
The old one probably had even 10 plus years left on it..
But your new one has 38 plus..lol

Thanks for stopping by Kev, real glad I made that decision.

dozerII

Admiral

Work keeps getting in the way of boat building, but I guess it is necessary evil. Transom is complete other than a little sanding in the key hole for clearance.

A little FYI for whom ever want's it. I picked up this 4 x 6 x 1" block of steel a while back on an oil lease, price was right. It had the big hole in the center and it worked well as a bucking bar. When your drilling thought a thick piece of wood Like a transom it can be difficult to drill straight. What I did was drill a 1/2 and 1/4" hole in the steel plate on the drill press so it dead straight. Then I clamp the plate over the hole to be drilled in the transom and it guides the bit perfectly. If you don't have a steel plate a block of hardwood will work but will wear out fairly quick.

InMotion

Commander

Awesome there Glen. I like the alternative thickness option you employed on the transom. Need piece of steel... good idea. I'll have to remember that one!

Jim

budski

Lieutenant Commander

You're coming along great Glen looks awesome I think I'd have done the same thing replace transum after going through the work of removing the old one and it can not be seen like it would in an outboard transum, also good idea on the piece of steel, I've drilled a few crooked holes in a transum my self

dozerII

Admiral

Awesome there Glen. I like the alternative thickness option you employed on the transom. Need piece of steel... good idea. I'll have to remember that one!

Jim

Thanks Jim

You're coming along great Glen looks awesome I think I'd have done the same thing replace transum after going through the work of removing the old one and it can not be seen like it would in an outboard transum, also good idea on the piece of steel, I've drilled a few crooked holes in a transum my self

Thanks John.

Gibbles

Commander

How am I missing this thread?! :D

Nice work, I would of done the same with it all pulled ect... :)

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Chris, good to see ya. Glad it's done.

dozerII

Admiral

Post man was here yesterday, the first seats I ordered where from Discount Marine, STAY AWAY FROM THEM Lucky I paid with Paypal, if the price seems to good it probably is. Theses seats came from Cabelas Canada on sale.

Been working on the bow structure trying to reinforce the front for a bow-mount TM. I used a piece of 5/8 ply that I soaked with water then clamped to get the curve, then added a curved bulkhead to hold the curve

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Awesome work Glen, it's obvious that you have these moves thought through really well man.

Without a doubt you set the standard for us buddy:encouragement:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Top notch work right there Glen! Great idea! I can imagine that it will make the boat a more responsive to the BMTM. As Jas said, you're the gold standard!

InMotion

Commander

Super work there Glen. That'll support anything you plan on doing up there... sharp looking seat there! I like it!!! :)

Jim

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If that TM doesn't have a solid mount now, it's time to switch to glassers. :facepalm: Not really. :D Nice bun holder. :)

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Nice seats Glen should go go great with your color scheme, bow looks really solid now.

dozerII

Admiral

If that TM doesn't have a solid mount now, it's time to switch to glassers. :facepalm: Not really. :D Nice bun holder. :)

Thanks GA, but I have done the glasser thing and it only took one to turn me into a tin head.

Nice seats Glen should go go great with your color scheme, bow looks really solid now.

Thanks John, I have had the Cabelas and Bass pro brand seats in the past and don't find them real comfy, so I thought I would try the Tempress, sitting in them I can tell they are much better than the others.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

You're right about the Cabela's seats I think they look OK but they are not as comfortable as they look, those look really comfy.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've thought the Tempress seats looked better, but I never see them locally to to sit in them. We'll need a seat of the pants review, Glen. :)