1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Nice progress! And a happy New Year to you and yours.

InMotion

Commander

Thanks Jim, and ya that is cold for you out there!! Now do you want our 80 k winds as well?

Not 80km/h... no... but on the drive home from the cottage last night --- we were barely moving in spots as the wind combined with a heavy snow fall created 4 foot visibility!! We would have stopped ---- but we were hedged in by 5 foot snow banks on either side! My wife was using our GPS to make sure I was on the road --- I was just hoping the guys in front didn't completely stop! Not pleasant!

Happy New Year bud!!!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Jim, that trip home didn't sound like fun, looks like cold is returning here.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Not 80km/h... no... but on the drive home from the cottage last night --- we were barely moving in spots as the wind combined with a heavy snow fall created 4 foot visibility!! We would have stopped ---- but we were hedged in by 5 foot snow banks on either side! My wife was using our GPS to make sure I was on the road --- I was just hoping the guys in front didn't completely stop! Not pleasant!
That reminds me of the adventure my relatives had (on Hwy 11 N of Barrie) when they were hemmed in by snowbanks. My BIL had to pee but they couldn't pull over, so sitting in the back seat, he used his rubber boot, then propped it carefully so it wouldn't fall over. And propped it stayed until they hooked a snow bank and spun several times glancing off both snowbanks. Apparently the rubber boot became airborn as it spun its contents throughout the car (a little Ford Pinto, as I recall). Memories.
By the way at 8 am it was -30 degrees C here this morning without wind chill. Has been colder, but that's cool enough. - Grandad

dozerII

Admiral

That reminds me of the adventure my relatives had (on Hwy 11 N of Barrie) when they were hemmed in by snowbanks. My BIL had to pee but they couldn't pull over, so sitting in the back seat, he used his rubber boot, then propped it carefully so it wouldn't fall over. And propped it stayed until they hooked a snow bank and spun several times glancing off both snowbanks. Apparently the rubber boot became airborn as it spun its contents throughout the car (a little Ford Pinto, as I recall). Memories.
By the way at 8 am it was -30 degrees C here this morning without wind chill. Has been colder, but that's cool enough. - Grandad

That trip sounded like it was not a lot of fun. I bet you haven't seen it that cold in Barrie for a long time.

Been real busy at work and not a lot of time to work on the ole girl, but I have managed to get the floor cut and fit. I just have to install the seat doublers and joiner strips between the sheets, then I can start on the spar varnish.

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Model of efficiency right there! Those deck cuts are beautiful! ...almost as if you've done it a few times ;)

dozerII

Admiral

Model of efficiency right there! Those deck cuts are beautiful! ...almost as if you've done it a few times ;)

Thanks BF, ya I've cut out a few of those. The trick to fitting the deck nice and tight is cut a little oversize then use and angle grinder with a 5"80 grit flap disc and many trips in and out of the boat.

dozerII

Admiral

Okay, need some opinions here. Finished the floor pieces and pulled the transom. After getting in out and on the saw horses and cleaned up, I have found that it is in almost new condition, just 38 years old. I started doing some measuring and with the thickness of todays plywood two layers of so called 3/4 is 1/8"to thin.
What do you all think of just cleaning it up real good, sealing it with a couple coats of spar and a coat of paint and reusing it??

jbcurt00

Staff member

What do you all think of just cleaning it up real good, sealing it with a couple coats of spar and a coat of paint and reusing it??
3 thoughts:

1) Let the transom sit for a day or 2 while you work on getting the doublers & joiner strips installed & the deck sealed w/ spar. Then take another look at the original transom plywood. Be hyper-critical during your inspection. If a 2nd look confirms your opinion it's good to go, seal it up good w/ spar & reuse it.

2) It's still 38yr old plywood, but in good condition. Might be a good place to use a good thin epoxy that will penetrate the plywood faces & edges really, really well. B2's impregnation method seems sound. And re-install it.

3) It's 38yrs old, and what's the cost in material & labor to make a new one? Do you think it's worth the time & money?

If it were mine to choose, I'd pick #2 :)

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

3 thoughts:

1) Let the transom sit for a day or 2 while you work on getting the doublers & joiner strips installed & the deck sealed w/ spar. Then take another look at the original transom plywood. Be hyper-critical during your inspection. If a 2nd look confirms your opinion it's good to go, seal it up good w/ spar & reuse it.

2) It's still 38yr old plywood, but in good condition. Might be a good place to use a good thin epoxy that will penetrate the plywood faces & edges really, really well. B2's impregnation method seems sound. And re-install it.

3) It's 38yrs old, and what's the cost in material & labor to make a new one? Do you think it's worth the time & money?

I'm with jb on this one. If the original ply lasted 38 years and still looks good, it says something for its integrity. Today's plywood might be as good, but it hasn't stood the test of time. I was able to re-use most of my original cockpit "floor" because it was still pristine. I only coated the underside of the stern floor panels (Gluvit, cuz I had it) and left the rest unprotected. The top is sealed with Nautolex. Don't let water inside the boat and the wood will stay dry and last a very long time. - Grandad

InMotion

Commander

+1 on what GD and JB have said.... no dry rot? Not rotted? Still in good shape... ya, reuse.

J.

Ps - Nice fit there Glen on the Deck... looks fantastic!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, no dry rot buddy?

If you say it's sound, I believe you man:encouragement:

And if it's sound, I'd seal it up well, paint, and run it. One less thing you need to build, good stuff.

barato2

Commander

up speaks the Advokat Der Teufel: it will take you less time to make a new one than it took/will take to RnR the old one, yes? and you have the old one out, yes? i can see the appeal both ways. ask yourself which you will wish you'd done in 5 years, esp if you plan to keep this one. me, i thiiiiink i'd replace....i thiiink....but just because i'd know i hadn't done it and would always wonder when i was out of sight of land.......

SigSaurP229

Commander

The master of all things Starcraft at work again, I swear I would think that Glenn did the woodworking for Starcraft themselves except that I have seen the quality of the factory work and it pales in comparison to Glenn's.

If you are asking on the forum what to do it means you are in doubt, if you are in doubt throw it out.

For $120 plus the cost of the spar I would replace it. Peace of mind and insurance is all I see when I think transom replacement.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Deck is looking great! Nice fit.

Thanks Weep'n

3 thoughts:

I'm with jb on this one. If the original ply lasted 38 years and still looks good, it says something for its integrity. Today's plywood might be as good, but it hasn't stood the test of time. I was able to re-use most of my original cockpit "floor" because it was still pristine. I only coated the underside of the stern floor panels (Gluvit, cuz I had it) and left the rest unprotected. The top is sealed with Nautolex. Don't let water inside the boat and the wood will stay dry and last a very long time. - Grandad

+1 on what GD and JB have said.... no dry rot? Not rotted? Still in good shape... ya, reuse.

J.

Ps - Nice fit there Glen on the Deck... looks fantastic!

Yah, no dry rot buddy?

If you say it's sound, I believe you man:encouragement:

And if it's sound, I'd seal it up well, paint, and run it. One less thing you need to build, good stuff.

up speaks the Advokat Der Teufel: it will take you less time to make a new one than it took/will take to RnR the old one, yes? and you have the old one out, yes? i can see the appeal both ways. ask yourself which you will wish you'd done in 5 years, esp if you plan to keep this one. me, i thiiiiink i'd replace....i thiiink....but just because i'd know i hadn't done it and would always wonder when i was out of sight of land.......

The master of all things Starcraft at work again, I swear I would think that Glenn did the woodworking for Starcraft themselves except that I have seen the quality of the factory work and it pales in comparison to Glenn's.

If you are asking on the forum what to do it means you are in doubt, if you are in doubt throw it out.

For $120 plus the cost of the spar I would replace it. Peace of mind and insurance is all I see when I think transom replacement.

Great replys everyone, the only reason I am having trouble deciding what to do is the 1/8 difference in thickness in the ply, I think I will sleep on it and see how it feels in the morning!!!!! :frusty:

InMotion

Commander

Well... you could always make a triple sandwich.... add a little something in between the 3/4" and seal it up good.... hmmmm all of sudden I'm hungry.

My vote still stands... if it's good... keep it! :) But that's prolly the coffee talking right now!

J.

dozerII

Admiral

Okay, I am normally snoring pretty loud this time of the morning but two things kept me from sleeping on this decision.
WHEN IN DOUBT THROW IT OUT, thanks Sig
And
IF YOU HAVE TRANSOM PROBLEMS 5 YEARS DOWN THE ROAD thanks B2

After I gulp down my first coffee I will be heading to the hanger to cut out the new transom, to compensate for the thinner ply I will use a thicker ply in the built up area where the drive bolts through, and 4 strips of 1/8 aluminum, in the bottom sill and side tabs.

dozerII

Admiral

No more indecision, cut out, glued and clamped. :grouphug:

barato2

Commander

dang, you work too fast. i was going to suggest that a layer of glass cloth between the 2 halves and then glue em with epoxy would work fine to make up the 1/8". but your way will work great too, and prolly easier to reinstall